AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 6 of 42 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-26, 14:36

This thing does seem to be bringing out the unhinged cunt in people, huh?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-26, 14:58

For the most part, I have not yet encountered any outright hostility, although a lady behind us in the store this morning was a tad too impatient—she was "trying " to be polite, which is code for "I'm never actually polite at all, regardless of this thing, so just get out of my way already because I am always a rude person." I reminded myself that I have seen absolutely no increase in rudeness, but actually a decrease. The rude people are the same rude people that existed 2 months ago, and they will continue to exist 2 months from now. The rude people who are actually being nice right now are the ones who were just having a bad day/week/month, etc. 2 months ago and now have an opportunity to gain some much needed perspective. Keep in mind that this is Idaho. In general, we are not stacked 500 deep, we make eye contact, and we have a general sense of politeness built into us.

But, we do have our idiots. I'm calling this out because this woman is taking the wrong approach to the current situation*. She is obviously stressed and "concerned for her safety", but she is the one people should be concerned about, not because she's packing heat, but because she is abusing the power that packing heat can give you. I will quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
- Be patient and kind. Others are going through the same thing, and many have it a lot worse.
I am only going to speak from the American perspective: We have a tendency to pull together when the crap goes down. We did it after 9/11, and we will do it now. The asshats like the lady in the article above are outliers (so far).

*Do not make this political, or it is getting moved to the other thread!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-26, 15:32

I realized about a week ago that there were plenty of examples of people behaving really really badly-- overwhelming stores during "senior time", age be damned, because they figured there would be more stuff, millenials cackling into their memes about the "boomer remover", even younger people flocking together for fun, only to spread the virus in their respective homes (and sure, no politics, but, like, all that).

But then there are as many or more examples of people coming together, behaving altruistically, uniting as a community, looking out for the helpless, volunteering, etc. Or, you know, these guys: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...demic/2333487/ "Invisible Hands", two twenty-somethings that got 13000 volunteers to deliver food and medicine to the elderly and at risk.

And I have a choice which I pay attention to. The dark, thrill-seeking part of me wants to obsessively gaze into the maw of terribleness. But I have a better self, one who wants to focus on being helpful, talking to my family, smiling and nodding at the people I pass on the street (even as I dodge out of the way). I realize I don't exactly live in "America" at the moment, I live in Rockridge, a neighborhood in North Oakland. And kindness can be a different kind of transmissible enitity.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-26, 15:35

And, I am very sorry to say, we're sure as fuck going to need it because this is just beginning.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-26, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
But I have a better self, one who wants to focus on being helpful, talking to my family, smiling and nodding at the people I pass on the street (even as I dodge out of the way). I realize I don't exactly live in "America" at the moment, I live in Rockridge, a neighborhood in North Oakland. And kindness can be a different kind of transmissible enitity.
Yes.

I realize I don't exactly live in "America" at the moment, I live in Ada County, immediately south of Boise, Idaho.

I will keep going in to work because we are one of the last Apple shops left open in the entire state, and people need their gear. We will be as nice as we can, we will fix stuff, we will support old folks trying to get their Facetime working, and we will prevail!

Quote:
But then there are as many or more examples of people coming together, behaving altruistically, uniting as a community, looking out for the helpless, volunteering, etc.
And, yes, I'll dive in on some of that myself.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-26, 15:46

I was reading a few articles (ok skimming really fast) about two different people who did stupid. One guy coughed in a girl's face and claimed he was infected. He's got terrorism charges and a few others against him now. Another is where a lady coughed on a bunch of produce in a grocery store. The store threw out $35k worth of produce because of that person.

I know these are not the majority but it sure does highlight how bad people can be. I think it will all settle out in the end, as it always does. People just get into the wrong mindset and make everything worse rather than helping out and making it better. Some of them are starting to act like caged rats on an electric griddle.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-26, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
And, yes, I'll dive in on some of that myself.
Were you a part of that?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-26, 16:03

Quote:
Were you a part of that?
No. Just thought it was a nice feel-good story.

Just learned of the first three deaths in Idaho. A man in his 60's, a man in his 70's, and a man in his 80's. At least one had pre-existing conditions. As of right now, it is unknown about the other 2.

¡Damned!

2020-03-26, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
US is going to pass China here in a few days according to this Johns Hopkins map, and we've barely even begun testing.
Or one day.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-26, 18:53

Quote:

All of which leads me to a question for the good doctor: Does a fleeting encounter (walking past at an arm's length say) represent any kind of actual threat? I keep hearing super alarming shit about the virus maintaining viability IN THE AIR for upwards of 3 hours, but I don't know what that means, exactly. Does it actually hang out as an aerosol? Or does it generally fall to the ground in that famous radius and the air thing is just a lab thing?
When you sneeze you produce microdroplets/aerosols that can be dispersed on the air a great distance. Same with coughing. Or vomiting <-- this is how certain stomach viruses can pass through an entire restaurant when there's a sick customer.

The virus also displays an unusual (for viruses) longevity on surfaces.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-26, 18:55

We had one case this past weekend of people reselling face masks in a parking lot, $60 each. By-law offers shut that down. They returned the next day and got caught again. They said they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

I've encountered far too many people who don't get it or don't care, when it comes to social distancing. Considering that there is a reasonably large number of seniors living in our neighbourhood this just seems disrespectful and rude.

W
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-26, 18:56

Fucking hell... this is a nightmare situation...
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-26, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
When you sneeze you produce microdroplets/aerosols that can be dispersed on the air a great distance. Same with coughing. Or vomiting <-- this is how certain stomach viruses can pass through an entire restaurant when there's a sick customer.

The virus also displays an unusual (for viruses) longevity on surfaces.
Please tell me that there's not of virus being dispersed from talking or, you know, breathing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-27, 00:19

If you spit while talking, yes that could spread a virus. I know a few that do, and maintain a healthy distance from them. If you have pneumonia, it’s possible to cough it up from your lungs, so in a sense, needing to breathe could can spread it in extreme cases. That is why heath officials have said sick people should wear a mask.

COVD-19 itself is not airborne, thus transmission from sneezing or coughing. There are air born sicknesses, but they are rare, I sure don’t know of any that are active now.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-03-27, 02:25

Plan for the worst, hope for the best is the strategy I'm going with.

Had a gas cylinder delivered today. Gas man preferred cash even though I said I could transfer money to his account on the spot if he wanted.

Still preferred cash. I'd withdrawn a lot of cash a few days ago wearing gloves. Figuring there's a reason he's always preferred cash (there is!), I had cash that I'd "prepared" with gloves and rubbing alcohol.

Just as he was leaving, he mentioned he knew of two locals who'd come off a cruise ship and tested positive. They were at home to begin with but after their conditions worsened, they are now in hospital and, according to him, not much hope.

This post is mostly so I have a record if in ~ few days - 2 to 3 weeks, 1 - 2 people have died of cv in tassie.

It's very infectious adda.
crazychester

2020-03-27, 02:54

I agree with PB PM and think spitting while talking is probably an issue. But I also think everybody does this regularly.

Just breathing.....ah, ATM I'm hoping not but keeping my distance. My gut says probably not but gut feelings are no basis whatsoever for stopping yourself and others from dying (except in exceptional circumstances).

You have to demand this information from your health care workers. Not your fucking governments. They don't care if you live or die. Like derr. Some (most hopefully) of your health care workers do.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...different-ways

https://www.healio.com/infectious-di...ected-patients

https://www.journalofhospitalinfecti...01(20)30046-3/

There's another article (last 10 days?) that suggested up to 3 hours airborne, up to 3 days on plastic/metal. But can't find link rn.

Ignore (maybe) my previous suggestion re: ibuprophen v paracetamol/acetaminophen. They've changed their minds:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-rec...id-19-symptoms
crazychester

2020-03-27, 02:59

I promise to pm you Anthony, soon.

But I need to cook for a bit.

I really hope you don't have friends and family affected in Italy. But you know my heart goes out to you and them if you do.

Take care, my friend.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-27, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
If you spit while talking, yes that could spread a virus. I know a few that do, and maintain a healthy distance from them. If you have pneumonia, it’s possible to cough it up from your lungs, so in a sense, needing to breathe could can spread it in extreme cases. That is why heath officials have said sick people should wear a mask.

COVD-19 itself is not airborne, thus transmission from sneezing or coughing. There are air born sicknesses, but they are rare, I sure don’t know of any that are active now.
Just to clarify here: The virus is almost certainly spread by coughing or sneezing; not just physical contact.

True airborne diseases are rare, but most are viruses so ymmv...
crazychester

2020-03-27, 05:02

Part of me wants to tear you another one but I know it's not your job.

And you did write this in this thread on 2020-01-27 (2 months ago to the day - roughly):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Your being upset over the exaggerated reporting of viral diseases in the press does not mean Wuhan Coronavirus isn’t something to be concerned with.

In other word keep your mind open for the potential that this is far worse than reported. This is a virus that leaped directly from an animal to a human and is now rapidly evolving to its new host. It’s killing people. Spreading asymptotically. And is now on every continent. The CDC and equivalent in other nations don’t lose their shit when things are going great.
(Not Antartica but anyway, I'm just being picky).

It's really fucking infectious.

But yes true airborne rare.

Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.
Dr. Bobsky

2020-03-27, 07:10

of course...

you're exchanging cash with improvised 2 m tongs i presume...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-27, 10:40

So a community case is making headlines in my area now. A liquor store clerk got infected and stopped working on the 14th. Details aren't very clear on where the infection came from or how many he shared the virus with. This just happens to be in my area.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-27, 12:13

Apple just put out a website and an app so you can check your symptoms. It's partnered with CDC so it can be assumed a good way for you to check as compared to every other outlet with the symptoms posted too.

On a slightly different note, what is the recovery time like for COVID-19? I'm reading all about how to know if you have it but little about the actual life cycle averages of the infected. Surely there should be something out there about what an average infection looks like.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-27, 14:43

Home today with the TV on in the background, nothing in particular. I've noticed a lot of companies - Burger King, Dominos, various insurance, pharmacy and financial outfits, cable TV and cellular providers, automotive, etc. - have all created "virus spots" in recent days. In fact, on the last commercial break, three of the five commercials (I'm on Travel Channel) all had a "in these troubled times..."/"we're in this together, stay safe" angle to them, referencing/acknowledging current events.

Some are simply some on-screen text, stock imagery/footage and a voiceover (easy enough to throw together) but a few - Burger King and some others - have full-on on-screen talent/actors, wardrobe, sets, on-screen graphics, etc. talking specifically about what's going on. Full-tilt traditional 30-second spots.

Interesting/impressive how quickly these were conceived, written, cast, filmed, edited and now on air. Some of them can't be more than 4-5 days old. I saw none of them this time last week, so they're that new/fresh. You find yourself wondering how many people were on that shoot, for how many hours and how close were they to one another (you gotta have makeup artists making folks TV-presentable, after all).

And guess what? I'm already sick of hearing them.

On a related note, I saw two large billboards next to the freeway yesterday near downtown about this ("Do Your Part, Stay Apart", etc.). So folks are definitely working from home, knocking all this stuff out the past week. Marketing/advertising professionals never sleep!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-28, 09:31

Looks like I’ll be sidelined for a week, definitely sick. Started out being abnormally tired, a very minor sore throat Thursday evening, runny nose, intermittent cough. We were child sitting, my niece last week during school break, and the kids are sick all the time, cause they are kids, likely got it that way, even with all the precautions. Doubt it’s COVID, no breathing difficulties, and I have not had a fever at any point, but most of my clients are seniors, so better to stay home and keep others safe.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-28, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Looks like I’ll be sidelined for a week, definitely sick. Started out being abnormally tired, a very minor sore throat Thursday evening, runny nose, intermittent cough. We were child sitting, my niece last week during school break, and the kids are sick all the time, cause they are kids, likely got it that way, even with all the precautions. Doubt it’s COVID, no breathing difficulties, and I have not had a fever at any point, but most of my clients are seniors, so better to stay home and keep others safe.
Yeah, those symptoms don't match, but better not to take chances. Also, any visible symptoms can cause a great deal of anxiety in others. Stay safe.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-28, 11:09

I think you should mist water on your face and cough and hack while walking down the sidewalk.

Not sure how long you'll live, but it would be wroth videoing the reaction of those around you.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-28, 11:25

I'm sure some dipshit YouTuber will do this (if they haven't already).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-03-28, 15:58

Considering that all sick individuals here have been ordered to stay home, COVID or not, no chance I'm going out. Given the factors of others being scared and such I would have stayed home anyway, it's not worth endangering others, or getting fined.

While not Youtubers, a young couple earlier this week butt in line at a coffee shop, and when others complained they spit at them, and coughed on them. Such delightful individuals in the world.
addabox
Veteran Member

2020-03-28, 17:33

So, Unacast, which appears to be a big data analytics operation, has made available their "social distancing scoreboard." Uses cell phone location data to drive a bunch of metrics around which areas (down to the county level) are stepping up by stepping back. The data only runs through the 23rd, but in every case I looked at there was a sharp uptick in "mobility" last weekend. I guess they run their algorithms in week batches? So it will be interesting to see if that happens again this weekend. If so, not great, because if everybody emerges from their hidey-holes to flock to the beaches and parks, there to be part of a crowd, then sort of missing the whole point of the thing.

BTW not addressing the fact that an analytics company has access to aggregate cell phone location data, I suppose not surprising and maybe actually helpful in this case. Otherwise and back in the former world, fuck them. https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
crazychester

2020-03-29, 01:30

So US Covid-19 deaths to eclipse 9/11 deaths within 3 days? 4 max.

I'm confused. 3000 dead human beings seem to matter more given the circumstances.

Gonna be a lot more than 3000 though.....