AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Pointless Mac mini Question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pointless Mac mini Question
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 20:49

Well, well...things have come full circle, haven't they? I first hoped to get a Mac mini, and then it stuck me I could (maybe) get an iBook...then my parents said that they'd help pay for my new computer, and I was looking at a Powerbook...than it struck me how awesome a deal the iMac was...then my parents told me that they decided not to pay for my new computer, so I'm looking at the Mac mini again (although, it just struck me...the iBook isn't much more...).

(I might decide to just not get my camera now and spring for a 17" iMac...but who knows.)

So here's my pointless Mac mini question: Does the power button light up, and pulsate in sleep mode, like most other Apple power buttons do? It's on the back of the computer (and, uh, the computer is a six inch square), so maybe it doesn't, but I think it would be cool if it did. So does it?

Thanks for reading and all.

I really do like the Mac mini - if I got anything more powerful, I'd regret never having an excuse to own one - so I think I could make it fit my needs. (I'm looking at the $699 model, by the way, and yes, I'll wait until the update is official).
scuttlebuttin

2005-10-19, 20:51

I'm pretty sure it pulsates.

But, also, I think the iBook might be a better buy. It's in ways better than the Mac Mini and also portable and only a bit more money.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 20:52

Well the power button doesn't light at all but there is a cool blue light on the front that does. If you look at the pics of it, that is the light in the lower right, but nothing for ther power button.

I think the $700 model is great. If I weren't getting the $3000 PM then I would actually get another Mini for my bedroom. Such is life.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 20:54

Oh, yeah, forgot about the light on the front. Well, that's okay. The power button is on the back, anyway, and blue LEDs beat pulsing lights any day.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Oh, yeah, forgot about the light on the front. Well, that's okay. The power button is on the back, anyway, and blue LEDs beat pulsing lights any day.
When it sleeps it does pulse, FYI.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 20:57

Wow...a blue, pulsing LED...I think my life is complete.

Enjoy the Power Mac, by the way. I don't think I'd know what to do with all that power.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Wow...a blue, pulsing LED...I think my life is complete.

Enjoy the Power Mac, by the way. I don't think I'd know what to do with all that power.
Yeah, my Mini nevers sleeps, but I remember seeing it do it a few times before I started working it to death. (F@H)

Well, to be honest I don't yet know what I'll do with all that power, but I know the Mini doesn't handle all the encoding and other tasks I put it through as fast as I want. I'm really enjoying photo editing and video editing. I might even get DVD Studio Pro now that I have had some REAL fun with iDVD. Either way, my thought is if I get the new PM then I won't have to update it for YEARS to come. That would be a first for me since I get a new computer at least once a year.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-19, 21:14

Yeah...a Mac mini is hardly a video editing powerhouse, but it beats what I have now. Maybe I'll be able to convince my parents to help just the little bit it would take to get a 17" iMac, hmm?

If the 12" iBook had a Superdrive, I'd probably go for that - it doesn't cost that much over the $700 Mac mini, especially considering I'd be needing everything - a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor...hell, even a desk.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 21:50

My $500 Mini set me back about $1000 after it was all done.
KVM switch, Cables for the KVM, FW External HDD, USB 2.0 High Speed 7 Port Hub (You only get two ports and one has a keyboard in it), Cat5e cable, Tiger (Mine came with whatever 10.3 was), MissingSync and other software for the Mac to bring me over from PC.

I'm not complaining about it, but it was more than the $500 or so I tought it would be. iMac might be a good option for you after all, or the iBook if you want to be able to bring it with you.

trans3062

2005-10-19, 22:05

I'm really surprise that Apple didn't offically upgrade the Mini today. That's two weeks in a row that it could have happen.

Last week was mind-blowing, today was so-so, maybe next Wednesday they will hold an event to tell us what we already know.
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-19, 22:07

Who cares by now. It seems as long as you get something past week 36 you're golden.
mercury7

2005-10-19, 22:13

I think the mac mini is art lol....whenever I upgrade computers again my mac mini will go proudly to the top of my tv for use as a cd/dvd player and maybe a little surfing on my hdtv, all I would need is a bluetooth remote I hear some people are buying them just for this purpose. seriously a great computer though for everyday tasks.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-19, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7
.... seriously a great computer though for everyday tasks.
And your not-so-everyday tasks too. I put mine to the test regularly and it holds well. Slow in heavy loads, but it doesn't crash like my PC's!

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-19, 22:46

Just think about what the Mac mini offers vs. the iBook, though, before you buy one. There are things you have to buy for either:

Mac mini - $500 base
Keyboard - $40 for a decent one, though it'll vary a lot
Monitor - $200 for a 17" LCD, $150 for a 15" LCD, less if you can stand to use a CRT
USB 2.0 hub - $20

iBook - $1000 base

For either one:
Mouse - $30 (like the keyboard, this is a good midpoint)
External hard drive - $120 for a good-sized Firewire one
Speakers - $40 for a basic 2.1 system

These things will vary, but if you configure the systems the way I have listed them, you'll end up spending $950 for the mini and $1190 for the iBook. If you order the more expensive mini, you can add $100 or $200 to that price. You might not need a larger hard drive but if that's the case, it'll decrease the final price of the iBook just as much as it'll decrease the price of the mini. I don't know if you have a monitor already lined up for the mini but it seems that if you don't, dropping the cash for a good monitor, combined with the price of the mini, isn't such a good value.

When I look back, sometimes I wish I had ordered an iBook instead of a Mac mini. I was taken in by the mini's lower base price, and I even ordered the base model. But over time I've spent just as much on it as I would have spent on an iBook, except the iBook would have been portable. I would have liked to have a portable machine. The advantages? I guess better ergonomics, as well as a much larger and roomier screen. Still, portability seems to outweigh those factors by a good deal. I'm still considering selling my mini + 17" LCD monitor to fund an iBook, but I can't justify spending the money to get a computer that's no faster. Maybe in a year or two.

I'll tell you one thing - either one will suit you great. You just have to look at how much you'll actually spend, and compare what you get in each situation. To me, it looks like for a very small extra investment you'll get a much more convenient, portable machine.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-20, 12:28

Exactly, Luca.

With my education discount, the 1.5 GHz/Superdrive Mac mini comes to $679. Add $70 for Apple's wired keyboard and Mighty Mouse combo, and it's $749. Figure $200 for a 17" LCD display (I would not stick my tiny Mac mini next to a hulking CRT) and $50 for a cheapass computer desk, and the total comes to..$999.

The 12" iBook would set me back $949. It'd be slightly slower, and it wouldn't have the Superdrive (that's really my biggest beef with it), but it'd be, uh, portable. And cheaper.

I used the Mac mini as an example of a cheap setup when I was asking for help from my dad. The $679 price tag got his attention (that this wouldn't be as huge of a deal as he seems to think), but when we have our Family Meeting I'll probably mention that the iBook would be about the same price.

I'm also considering not buying my camera now, so I could get a 17" iMac...but that would mean waiting until February at least to be able to get it (with the holiday season upon us and all).
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-10-20, 13:20

Apple has the 12" iBook (with AP Extreme) for $749 in their "refurb" area. Getting one of those could save you lots of money.
Reid

2005-10-20, 16:49

I say this in just about every thread, but I really wish Apple would offer the Superdrive as BTO on the 12" iBook. I just don't get why they'll let you upgrade to a 100GB hard drive, but not a DVD burner. It's the only Mac they sell without this even as a $100 upgrade option. Just stupid, and it's kept me from upgrading my 500Mhz iBook for about a year longer than I might have otherwise.

Now I'm debating between a Mac mini and the 17" iMac, just because I want to be able to burn DVDs and I'm not willing to jump up $500 for the 12" PowerBook. (And I don't even consider the 14" iBook an option--I want my laptop small, or not at all.)
Reid

2005-10-20, 16:53

Oh, and by the way: Amazon's rebates make most Mac models even cheaper than they are with Apple Education discounts. Plus, you don't have to pay sales tax.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-20, 22:00

Thanks, Reid!

I'm like you - I like my laptops small, or not at all (I'd actually prefer a 15" Powerbook to the 14" iBook - it's lighter!) - and yes, I wish that Apple put the Superdrive in the 12" iBook. The only reason Apple doesn't is to protect sales of the 12" Powerbook, but I'm surprised they didn't discontinue that with the new revision.

I know this isn't Speculation and Rumors, but here are my predictions for Apple's notebook line for the next year:

iBook:
Small upgrade this year. Bump to 1.42/1.5 GHz, Superdrive standard on 12", 14" drops to $1,199.
Upgrade in mid-2006. Bump to 1.67 Ghz.
Goes Intel in early 2007 in 13" and 15" widescreens.

Powerbook:
"Real" upgrade in early 2006. 12" model axed (if it wasn't discontinued with the iBook update). Uses the 7448 at 1.8 GHz.
Goes Intel in fall 2006 in 15" and 17" sizes.

...so maybe there's a chance we'll be able to get a 12" iBook with a Superdrive, hmm?

(This thread isn't really about the Mac mini's power button anymore... But that's okay.)