New iPod nano ad!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod nano ad!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-18, 11:39

www.apple.com/ipod/ads

It features "Cubicle" by Rinocerose. I dig it.

It suggests that at least the iPod nano will probably remain unchanged through any anniversary event.

I like Apple's new "black background" style ads. The "silhouette" ads were getting a little old (although I'm glad they're keeping a few of those around, too, because those are synonymous with the iPod).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-03-18, 11:56

I like it, alot. Downloaded it even... Although, my computer can't handle the 720p playback...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-03-18, 12:07

I saw that a couple of days ago during the tourney. It was a nice change from the usual ads.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-18, 12:17

Wow, very nice. I still hope they will keep the silhouette ads around, since those were brilliant, IMHO. I especially liked the one for the Eminem album, they really took the idea a step further on that one. But then, I'm partial to "non-realistic" videos/ads.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-18, 14:13

Eh... I don't really like this ad. It doesn't demonstrate just how tiny the nano is, and the "whole album covers forming a city" thing isn't exactly overt. Not to mention there are far more than 1000 songs in all those albums. Shrug, cool music though.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-18, 14:17

The ipod looks fairly the same as the original, so i think the adds should look close to the originals. I too loved the eminem add, I even had it as my screensaver for a while.


wecallitfall

2006-03-19, 06:41

i like it
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-19, 15:09

Grrrrrr! I did like it. I downloaded it, in fact, and made it into a screensaver using xbMovieMaker. I went for a bath and started playing Snow Patrol in iTunes.

And then 15 minutes later, the screensaver started, and for the next 15 minutes I heard the new Nano advert playing on top of iTunes, every 30 seconds.

Now I don't like it.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2006-03-19, 15:40

It's okay. Neat to watch those first few times.

But I'd happily trade it for an actual Mac or OS spot, no question.

I think it's safe to assume the entire universe is more than aware of the iPod/iTunes/iTMS thing by now.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-19, 18:26

Of course I'd prefer a Mac ad. But apparently, it wasn't to be.

Maybe when the MacBook comes out. I have no idea why Apple doesn't advertise that students get free iPods if they by Macs during the summer, either.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-19, 18:31

Well, they do have the Kiefer Sutherland / Intel / iMac ad. Even in Germany (though the dub is... er... mediocre). So that's a good start.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2006-03-19, 18:55

...and it only took, what, two or three years?

It's a stupid, do-nothing ad that was "old news" and played-out a month ago.

Macs are going Intel. Big deal, who cares and what appeal could that possibly hold to the average joe out there? Only die-hard Mac geeks got any sort of charge out of it. And guess what...they don't need much of a push or enticement. They're already there.

It was neat the first one or two times we saw it at MWSF keynote...only because it wasn't another dancing silhouette spot. But that quickly wore off to most.

But it does nothing, shows nothing, tells nothing, etc. that would make anyone currently mired in some virus-ridden PC hell to consider a Mac, does it?

Unless they're super-duper "24" fans or something, I guess.

Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2006-03-19 at 19:00.
Is it 1981?

2006-03-20, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I have no idea why Apple doesn't advertise that students get free iPods if they by Macs during the summer, either.
They do, just really, really badly I've got a leaflet from that promotion with a shot of a PowerBook linked up to an iPod mini, where the cable forms an '&' symbol, and the catchline is 'Student union'. Plus I've seen another flyer around that has a shot of a PowerBook in the top half of the page with the word 'Cram', and at the bottom is a silhouette hand and iPod with 'Jam'.

But you're right, they really do need to get the Mac word out there more - and promoting the student/ education offers would be a fantastic way.
Wyatt
On twitter: @bwyatt

2006-03-20, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it 1981?
They do, just really, really badly I've got a leaflet from that promotion with a shot of a PowerBook linked up to an iPod mini, where the cable forms an '&' symbol, and the catchline is 'Student union'. Plus I've seen another flyer around that has a shot of a PowerBook in the top half of the page with the word 'Cram', and at the bottom is a silhouette hand and iPod with 'Jam'.

But you're right, they really do need to get the Mac word out there more - and promoting the student/ education offers would be a fantastic way.
Yes, a TV ad for the Student Union and Cram & Jam promos would be huge. I guarantee they'd sell a ton more to students if they promoted that more.

Twitter: bwyatt | Minecraft: bwyatt_IN
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-20, 08:25

Welcome to AppleNova, Is it 1981?.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-03-20, 09:18

Yes, they'd sell more low-margin student-discount PowerBooks with bundled iPods. Hardly the stuff of capitalist dreams. The profits may not even cover the insane cost of TV advertising: a cost that is so high, I should add, because it is so good at targeting a wide market. I wouldn't consider a laptop computer truly mainstream, much less an Apple notebook, much less an Apple notebook exclusively for students. Apple would be paying a fortune to get their ad seen by millions of middle-aged housewives, chavs, retirees, unemployed people, pre-school kids, etc. The type of people that watch TV. Plus a handful of students who might buy a PowerBook because of the ad.

TV advertising is not particularly well-suited to Apple in general. The kind of people who value Apple qualities watch less TV than most, and too few TV watchers care about computers generally. The iPod is very different, and much more mainstream, therefore TV advertisement makes sense for it. And the TV ads, including this one, have been pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Not fiendishly clever (ads are sometimes too clever for the mainstream anyway), but stylish and minimalist, a bit like the product.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-03-20, 09:41

You just can't communicate the value of a Mac in 20-30 seconds. At this point, the differences are too subtle. (And come Vista, it will be even subtler.) The best bet is to get someone into an Apple Store where they can see a Mac in person and play with it (or at the very least, Apple.com). Aside from pushing iPods, the iPod ads aim to do just that.
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga

2006-03-20, 09:43

Yeah, I guess so. I don't know.

I do like this iPod ad BETTER than the stupid Intel ad, however.

It's hypnotic to watch, all those album covers spinning, falling, clicking into place...
Is it 1981?

2006-03-20, 09:46

Thanks, chucker.

Dorian, I see your point about selling more low-margin products; but I'd argue that with the education (let's not forget all the valuable teachers, tutors and lecturers out there) discount it's an added incentive to make the Switch along with the iPod. And (hopefully) they too will fall in love with Mac OS X and Apple.

A TV ad promoting this would still be good I reckon, but it'd only work if they did more general Mac ads, so that people don't think of Apple as only producing iPods and laptops for students. Perhaps ads for the Apple Stores would be better?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-20, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Apple would be paying a fortune to get their ad seen by millions of middle-aged housewives, chavs, retirees, unemployed people, pre-school kids, etc. The type of people that watch TV.
Exactly. The type of people (with the exception of the pre-school kids, perhaps) who would actually buy their kids/grandkids an Apple notebook for college. If Apple wants to leave the 3% market share, they will have to market to the broad, unwashed masses. There just aren't enough turtleneck-wearing, pony-tailed guys with nasal voices around.