User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

YAPRS (Yet Another Pointless Rampage Shooting)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
YAPRS (Yet Another Pointless Rampage Shooting)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-03, 12:36

This time in Binghamton New York. Still going on I guess... no time to check CNN. Reports of an Asian man with an assault rifle I guess. Not many details so can't make the assumption yet but if so, all I can say is if your parents heap too many expectations on you, and you feel compelled to take out your failings and your rage on someone, go kill your parents, assholes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7982444.stm

...into the light of a dark black night.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-04-03, 12:40

Suicide is pointless, but in the end it's shameless...
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-04-03, 13:18

What the hell? That's crazy. I went to Binghamton for undergrad (graduated in 2007). We used to cut through the Civic Association's parking lot to get to the bars and then the year after that all the hockey guys lived about 4 houses down from the Civic Association on the same street.

At least that's like 3 miles from campus (I only mean that a college campus is quite dense with people and could have been even worse than what actually occurred).

They are describing the suspect as a 20 year old asian male. I wonder if it's a BU student? (There's a large asian population at BU, and not so many asian townies from what I remember).

Last edited by MBHockey : 2009-04-04 at 10:03.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-04, 09:58

Still not much to report on this guy but one thing's clear with these Asian gunmen: cultures which teach men to bury their emotions at all times, conform to expectations from childhood, and honor parents with great success -and that you have shamed your parents if you're not highly successful or graduating near the top of your class- and the other unrealistic bullshit, don't work any longer. This isn't the 1800s. Whether he's a student or not, my guess is the more we find out about him the more this is going to be another story about another Asian guy who felt he had disgraced his family, had been rejected by a woman, or similar.

Time infuse some modern thinking into Asian family culture.... I never thought I'd say this about any group of people because even a little every week can be too much, but clearly Asian families don't watch enough Oprah.

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-04-04, 10:03

I read that he was a 42 year old man who was recently laid off from IBM in nearby Johnson City.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-04, 10:21

At least he wasn't another student. If he was laid off by IBM, strange that he wouldn't try to bring his guns to work and kill his boss, etc. Why strangers if the motive is being laid off?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-04, 11:49

The latest.

Sad.

These people always wind up offing themselves in the end, it seems. Why can't they just do that first, and spare the innocent strangers for once?

Those Virginia Tech students didn't need to die so needlessly because that idiot couldn't get it together. And this guy yesterday could've just stayed home and pulled the trigger if he was of that mindset. Why wreck the lives of 13 families you didn't even know, and who meant nothing to you?

I don't understand why this happens. Some people just want to go out in a blaze, I guess. Take as many souls with them as they can (they won't be around to feel bad about it, so what do they care).

Just tragic, stuff like this. 13 lives ended, 13 families spending their weekend in shock and despair...because one off-kilter a-hole had to make his problem everyone else's.