User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Crisis after crash: PLEASE HELP!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Crisis after crash: PLEASE HELP!
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 07:09

Oh, no guys... please please help me if you can! Something seriously went wrong with my iBook:

I was updating the system from 10.3.7 to 10.3.8 with Software Update... but at some point the update stopped spontaniously and I got a kernel-panic report... you know: the black curtain that comes down...

I rebooted the iBook and *no surprise* it got stuck displaying the gray Apple and infinite amount op cycles: my dear baby Apple is showing me the finger.

I saw no other option than to restore the system with the original Apple discs... note: I checked the option to archive and reinstall my user-account.

And 'Hurrah' it started-up normally... but since then it panics every 5 minutes or so... also some apps won't work or crash with no reason... even after reinstalling those mothers too... a lot documents & photo's are unreadable & crash upon launch... it doesn't recognize my (also stuffed) iMac as a Network disc... etcetera

I only have cd-burner and about 20gigs of personal stuff on the machine... what am I to do?

P.S. I tried to restore disc-permissions too... the utility went bezerk... working on the disc for almost half an hour... but it didn't help... this is not my lucky day

I am going to kill myself for not backing-up... stupid STUPID STUPID

AND ohh hahaha... just try to burn a CD with Toast: it said: SCREW YOU. BAHAARGH

This day IS PULP FICTION... I know what Mac Os X was telling my iBook behind my back before it crashed this morning:
'No one needs to know about this except you, me and Mr. Soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain-*bleep* here.'

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.

Last edited by Marcellus Wallace : 2005-03-04 at 09:36.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-04, 11:16

hmm. have you tried creating a new user account, and logging in with that account to see if it has failures?

from what you've described though, i'd be running the hardware test CD that should have come with your computer. sounds like your HD is failing.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 11:18

Thanks a million Alcimedes... I'll try that imediately!

Last edited by Marcellus Wallace : 2005-03-04 at 11:32.
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 11:32

*hugs Alcimedes* THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Brilliant... simple... amazing
You saved the day... and eternally greatful I am! At least the basics are working properly again... now I can back-up my baby and give her a happy, crispy, vanilla Mac OS X to run... oh joy!

How can I repay you! thanks! :smokey:

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.