Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Neighbors and Whitelist Chit-Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Neighbors and Whitelist Chit-Chat
Page 3 of 7 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
sachmo1337

2012-03-19, 18:11

Robo I'm x_sachmo1337_x on psn. Currently I'm working on me2 so I can start 3 and play mw3 as well.

And grey I'm sure etnie will be apart of an and MC as well.
¡Damned!

2012-03-19, 18:19

Well then, I'll take your word for it. Hooray! I'm sure Drew will be thrilled that everyone is in love with each other again.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-19, 18:29

Peace in the Valley!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-19, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo1337 View Post
Robo I'm x_sachmo1337_x on psn. Currently I'm working on me2 so I can start 3 and play mw3 as well.
I'm werejack on PSN, but my PlayStation isn't working, so I can't friend anyone. Or play FFXIII-2!

Right now I'm playing Zelda: Skyward Sword on Wii and Professor Layton 4 on 3DS.

And Minecraft, natch.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-03-19, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Heck, Brad is carrying my baby.
I knew it!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-03-19, 18:47

Umm...seeing others toss around PSN s/n info has me even more excited. I get my PS3 back (after two years O_O) in 3 weeks!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-03-19, 18:58

so a few quick things:

To whomever left a siamese cat to guard my farm: to make a long story short, i wasn't paying attention and the cat is now stuck in a hole

Bryson: In front of my house, by the hole with the cat in it, is a half chest full of sand.

Dellphi:
I am working on completing the lighting job i started on the desert. When I finish, would you consider taking downy he cactus wall around the sugar cane? Its a bit of an eyesore and can be painful
ggnorekthx

2012-03-19, 20:22

First off, let me say that when I originally posted, I was still in the public server mindset (I've had to sign up on forums and ask for whitelist multiple times.)

Since it has been stated the forums are much more tightly-knit (I had such an experience on d2jsp - made a few good friends that I've known for years now) I'll do a proper introduction.

Hi! I'm Dan. First and foremost, I'm a gamer. I'm 26 now - I got my first NES when I was 5, and I've been glued to gaming ever since. Although I love playing video games, I've become more and more a collector as well. I won't sell old games, and I go out of my way to get copies of rare games, especially when they are awesome (Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube, for example.)

I also collect Nintendo memorabilia. I have a bunch of the old Mario comics, and a few of the Choose Your Own Adventure-style Nintendo Adventure Books. Speaking of books, I also love to read. Terry Brooks, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and J.R.R. Tolkien are my favorites.

Fast forward to today, and I just requested off the 15th and 16th of May at work so that I have half a week to play Diablo III when it releases.

Lastly, I posted a few times today and the posts either didn't show up, or did show up and subsequently disappeared. Anyone know why?
delphi

2012-03-19, 20:24

No problem. It is down. Thanks for asking.
ggnorekthx

2012-03-19, 20:32

I keep trying to post and it immediately disappears. I'm going to paste in my original post as an edit.

EDIT: First off, let me say that when I originally posted, I was still in the public server mindset (I've had to sign up on forums and ask for whitelist multiple times.)

Since it has been stated the forums are much more tightly-knit (I had such an experience on d2jsp - made a few good friends that I've known for years now) I'll do a proper introduction.

Hi! I'm Dan. First and foremost, I'm a gamer. I'm 26 now - I got my first NES when I was 5, and I've been glued to gaming ever since. Although I love playing video games, I've become more and more a collector as well. I won't sell old games, and I go out of my way to get copies of rare games, especially when they are awesome (Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube, for example.)

I also collect Nintendo memorabilia. I have a bunch of the old Mario comics, and a few of the Choose Your Own Adventure-style Nintendo Adventure Books. Speaking of books, I also love to read. Terry Brooks, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and J.R.R. Tolkien are my favorites.

Fast forward to today, and I just requested off the 15th and 16th of May at work so that I have half a week to play Diablo III when it releases.

Lastly, I posted a few times today and the posts either didn't show up, or did show up and subsequently disappeared. Anyone know why?

Last edited by ggnorekthx : 2012-03-19 at 21:18.
¡Damned!

2012-03-19, 20:47

Welcome Dan! With even that short resume I'm sure you're going to fit in here nicely. Plus, you compose real sentences with real punctuation! I like you even more now!

Seriously though, welcome to AN and our humble MC server. Look forward to seeing you on.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-19, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnorekthx View Post

I also collect Nintendo memorabilia. I have a bunch of the old Mario comics, and a few of the Choose Your Own Adventure-style Nintendo Adventure Books.
OK you'll fit in.

Nice to meet you, Dan. Do you like Zelda? Our old worlds had several block-perfect replicas of Zelda areas. Brad and Rowdy really outdid themselves, I think. I'm sure we'll have some game-themed projects in our new world before long

What is your favorite of all your Nintendo memorabilias? It doesn't have to be your favorite game or system or whatever (because of course those questions are impossible), just whatever you think is the most interesting to share.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2012-03-19, 21:00

Also, take note all of you wannabe whitelisters. That's how you do a fucking introduction.

Your one sentence OMG I RED TEH THRED NOW GIMME bullshit pale in comparison.

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-19, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, take note all of you wannabe whitelisters. That's how you do a fucking introduction.

Your one sentence OMG I RED TEH THRED NOW GIMME bullshit pale in comparison.
While I would have worded it...differently, I agree. I think it would be a nice courtesy going forward if interested miners-to-be made an effort to introduce themselves, beyond just stating their username and who they know. Then it would feel less like Invasion of the Strangers, or whatever.

I was apprehensive about ggnorekthx joining, but now I'm totally not. I read "Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube" and then I was all OMG I TAKE IT BACK THIS GUY IS AWESOME

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-19, 22:05

So I have added ggnorekthx to the white-list. He'll be able to log in in the morning after the server restarts.

Welcome to the server ggnorekthx! That was an excellent intro and I'm banking that Sachmo is standing for your character too.

Be sure to be a good neighbor, fix what you break and ask for help when needed. I also recommend looking at the map and seeing where land is available before putting your pegs in the ground. Use the night map to check for touches is the easiest way.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
ggnorekthx

2012-03-19, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
OK you'll fit in.

Nice to meet you, Dan. Do you like Zelda? Our old worlds had several block-perfect replicas of Zelda areas. Brad and Rowdy really outdid themselves, I think. I'm sure we'll have some game-themed projects in our new world before long

What is your favorite of all your Nintendo memorabilias? It doesn't have to be your favorite game or system or whatever (because of course those questions are impossible), just whatever you think is the most interesting to share.
I absolutely like Zelda. Ocarina of Time is my favorite. I wasn't a huge fan of Twilight Princess, but Skyward Sword is pretty amazing. (I'm not super far.) Wind Waker probably had the best opening of them all, though. I did play Zelda II and a bit of the first one as a kid, but they didn't resonate with me as strongly as Mario and Megaman did.

As far as memorabilia, my most treasured piece is Super Mario Adventures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Adventures Got mine from Nintendo Power as a kid, I think for Christmas. It's still in really good condition.

Another factoid: My favorite game of all time is Super Mario RPG.

Also, thanks for whitelisting! I'll be hanging in the forums as well.
¡Damned!

2012-03-19, 22:55

Quote:
While I would have worded it...differently, I agree.
*shrug* You know me. While you may be Conflict Avodiance Robo I'm totally Conflict FuckYeah Grey.

It's a moot point now, and I'm thoroughly happy about that.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-19, 22:55

Quote:
Idunno. Since 709 opened up that can of worms, I think I might agree with him. I'm cool with AN members bringing their friends onboard, but when those friends start bringing their friends onboard it starts to feel less like a server of a bunch of friends and more like a bunch of strangers.

I'm not trying to sound cliquish, but I hope you understand that many of us have been here for years — the better part of a decade, now! — and we all go back a long way. We're probably an unusually close-knit community, by Internet standards. AppleNova is a very special forum, and we're happy to grow and make friends with cool new people, but I hope you can understand that we also all keep coming here because it's not just a bunch of strangers.
This.

I'm going to be a little blunt here.

Like this very website, the AppleNova Minecraft server is not free to run. It takes time, technical skill, and resources. I run this website free of ads and junk, paying for its hosting out of pocket, and maintain the server because I care about the community that thrives within its virtual bounds. I started the private Minecraft server for this community. It was never intended to be a public playground; it was created as a privilege for the people who have formed the core of the AppleNova community, as I've said repeatedly in other threads.

I'd like to see the game community grow, but not at the expensive of letting strangers run amok. I'm OK with each of us having an IRL friend or two to play with on the server. But friends of friends? The AppleNova part of the AppleNova Minecraft Server falls apart when the "friends" outnumber the core community. This becomes readily apparent when some of the friends either never participate on the forums or never even read the forum discussions about the game. We have discussions relevant to the game in here, and we can't have people going on oblivious to them all.

If the community aspect of this game falls apart or becomes too diluted, I'm gone. Turtle is welcome to keep hosting the game if he wants to, but I'll drop my SSH keys off at the door and retire to a quiet life of SSP. Or maybe I'll play some Dwarf Fortress. Another coworker keeps trying to hook me on that drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Heck, Brad is carrying my baby.
You scamp! That was supposed to be a secret!

Quote:
We're all nice people, I mean this isn't 4chan

> fmw reply is an image
  ▲
▲ ▲

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-19, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnorekthx View Post
Got caught in the spam filter since you're a new member. If it happens again, just wait it out and one of us admins/mods will come authorize the post.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-03-19, 23:02

Quote:
Well then, I'll take your word for it. Hooray! I'm sure Drew will be thrilled that everyone is in love with each other again.
Quote:
*shrug* You know me. While you may be Conflict Avodiance Robo I'm totally Conflict FuckYeah Grey.

It's a moot point now, and I'm thoroughly happy about that.
Hmm.. The peace and love didn't last long. Hopefully we can get everybody tied back into this discussion to avoid the second occurrence of the original flap in less than a week.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
sachmo1337

2012-03-19, 23:09

Honestly Brad I'd love to donate to help keep things running. I'll take a look around on the forums to see if there's a donation thread or anything of that sort. Just for the record Etnie told me today that he also had some trouble posting the other day and stopped trying since it wouldn't go through. It was probably user error or his internet. I don't plan on bringing people on here that are just here to hang out with me on this server. I feel I brought on two people that would be a part of the community and at the minimum participate on forums and if they like help out whether it's donating or putting in code(I don't think either know coding at all lol). I was told blunt and straight forward by Turtle that we don't let strangers on just to be on when I first joined. That it's a community. I have a ton of friends on mc but none as good of quality as these two guys. I vouch hard for them. I guess I thought I was in the cool kids club but it hurts my heart to see I'm not... lol. I totally understand where everyone is coming from and I'd hate to see you leave Brad honestly. I think this is going farther than it was meant to go or should have went...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2012-03-19, 23:17

Drew talk to Dellphi. He's invaded my space.
¡Damned!

2012-03-19, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Hmm.. The peace and love didn't last long. Hopefully we can get everybody tied back into this discussion to avoid the second occurrence of the original flap in less than a week.
Land claims? We don't need no fucking land claims.

(wasn't me, btw)
¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 00:39

Some conglomeration of Brad's and Robo's posts need to be made visible to new members. Hell, *all* members.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-20, 00:51

I think there should be a written test, starting with "making the plastics", moving through "Carol's breasts", and ending with Murbot's hard drive repair.

¡Damned!

2012-03-20, 01:00

Didn't read wall o' text up there, but whatever it may have said, sachmo, I think we're good.
delphi

2012-03-20, 05:57

Sorry Elysium. Do you want me to remove everything? I will but it back to the original condition and remove the portal.
delphi

2012-03-20, 05:58

I was thinking torches or a building defines when an area has been claimed.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2012-03-20, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
Sorry Elysium. Do you want me to remove everything? I will but it back to the original condition and remove the portal.
If you could take out just what you've built that would be great. Don't worry about the landscaping as I'll be building some structures on that ridge and will likely be messing with it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi View Post
I was thinking torches or a building defines when an area has been claimed.
Typically yes, but it is not an absolute. I was setting up a base to get the resources churning and then was going to selectively torch the islands exterior. You actually almost torched up to one of the entrances. I figured since I was so far out of town that my simple post here would keep people away from doing anything in the interim.

I'm sorry if I came off as a dick over this, but it was just a small shock to the system right before bed to find I had a tenant. Normally I wouldn't care, but in this case I went way east of town for very specific reasons: namely building autonomy.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
delphi

2012-03-20, 06:51

Ok. I have moved out of the area.

BTW. I do read the forums. I just don't have much to say.