User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

10.4.3 bugs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
10.4.3 bugs
jsk173

2005-11-06, 00:21

10.4.3 has been good but one annoying bug remains, at least for me: Whereas the iCal dock icon used to update to the new date at the stroke of midnight, it now can take up to 45 minutes before the new date shows. I've reported this to Apple several times but apparently it didn't get addressed. Not the end of the world, but for night owls like me, very annoying.

Also, Safari seemed lightning-fast and more stable immediately after installing 10.4.3 last week but now it's dragging again. Clicking a "next page" link on a nytimes.com page almost always results in 5-10 seconds of the spinning beachball; opening more than one nydailynews.com link in tabs does the same; and browsing generally seems slower than it did last week. I had high hopes for Safari in 10.4.3 but something still seems amiss.

Last edited by jsk173 : 2005-11-06 at 00:59.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-11-06, 00:27

I realised today that it actually showss true date when open. Why did Apple pick the 17th of July? (just opened iCal @12:27 and it still says its the 5th...)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-06, 00:52

It's always been that way, only updating the icon when the application is open. We've had at least one lengthy discussion about this before. Try a search.

The 17th is because that was the day iCal was introduced.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jsk173

2005-11-06, 00:55

I believe iCal was initially released on July 17. The dock icon/date thing has been well-debated over the years. In the initial release, closing the iCal window also quit the application, leaving that day's date in the dock until the next time it was opened. The next version of iCal allowed the iCal window to be closed while leaving the app open, which allowed the current date to be displayed in the dock. Then Tiger rolled around, and things went backward: Instead of updating at midnight like in prior versions, it can take up to 45 minutes for the dock icon to update.
Mark151

2005-11-06, 05:42

the iSub frustation!!
jsk173

2005-11-06, 06:09

Updating my earlier post, I just restarted for the first time since installing 10.4.3 and Safari is back to being very fast. I wonder if something gets corrupted during use that causes Safari to slow down. Since I restart about once a month, I certainly hope that's not the case.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-06, 09:33

Did you restart at all after installing? There's a bit of "housekeeping" that needs to be done and that's why the installation dialog box forces you to restart instead of just quit.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jsk173

2005-11-06, 09:54

Is that a trick question, Brad? I didn't think it was possible to have installed 10.4.3 without the obligatory restart. (But yes, I installed 10.4.3 the day after it was released, Safari was great on restart, and then became progressively slower.) Thanks.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-11-06, 17:06

I think by housekeeping he means:
-doing a repair on disk permissions in Disk Utility
-Clearing out all system and browser cache files
-running the "daily, weekly, and monthly" unix maintainance thingi-majigers...

Mac Janitor is very good at doing the daily, weekly, and monthly runs.

As for clearing the cache, once my bro gets back with my laptop I can find the name of the app I usually use that basically is a program with packaged scripts for cleaning the comp. Unless someone else can recommend an app.

I noticed that Safari ran a bit slower after 10.4.3, but after I did these three things it ran noticeably faster.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-06, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
Is that a trick question, Brad? I didn't think it was possible to have installed 10.4.3 without the obligatory restart.
No, it was not a trick question.

Some people actually (stupidly) force-quit the installer so they don't have to restart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
I think by housekeeping he means
That's not what I meant, but what you posted it still good advice.

naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-11-06, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
-running the "daily, weekly, and monthly" unix maintainance thingi-majigers...
I read somewhere starting from 10.4.x you don't need such softwares since system will perform these tasks as soon as it gets the chance if it missed the 3:00am job due to computer sleeping or shut down.

Is it t rue?

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB
Dr_LHA

2005-11-10, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by naashraf
I read somewhere starting from 10.4.x you don't need such softwares since system will perform these tasks as soon as it gets the chance if it missed the 3:00am job due to computer sleeping or shut down.

Is it t rue?
Correct, as of 10.4.2 launchd has aquired this functionality, so hacks like anacron or running the periodic scripts manually are no longer required.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-11-10, 12:50

So no more MacJanitor?
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-11-10, 18:02

I removed MacJanitor when I installed 10.4 and was doing manual sudo periodic command but now I have stopped even that
johnny5

2005-11-10, 18:42

I've got one. I think.

Since I installed the update, I've noticed that in folders where file sizes are displayed, the size info for a growing file won't update until you reopen that window.

For example, if I download a file from an application besides Safari (such as Transmit), or create an archive, or whenever a document builds itself directly within its destination folder, the file will display "0KB" even after it is complete. I have to click out of that folder then click back for the correct filesize to display.

Anyone else notice this, or do I have some other problem....?
(at least it's not really a big problem)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-10, 18:44

That's not limited to 10.4.3...that's a well known and ongoing OS X (and pre OS X) bug.
Jay

2005-11-10, 18:59

Buggy enough to make me go back to 10.4.2 on my PowerBook. The main reason for the switch back was DVD Player was running horribly, it was running as smoothly as Doom 3 runs on a Mac Mini @ 1600x1200 with everything on if not worse. The rest were mildly annoying type. I've never had an update go that bad and I did all of the traditional voodoo before hand. So I just reverse cloned the hard drive and I'll worry about it once I move to the quad. It might have been caused since I installed VPC a few days before and that always causes troubles.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-11-11, 01:01

New bugs/regression: My iBook asks for a System keychain password on startup. Image Capture deleted 80 photos from my camera. Preview no longer removes images from the draw when you move them to the trash.

Old bugs not fixed: Volumes still randomly fail to mount. Union mounting is still broken. The Finder is still, ahem, fracked.

On the plus side, the input menu has stopped disappearing randomly.

At this point, I'm close to considering going back to 10.3.9. Not quite there, but close.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-11, 01:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Union mounting is still broken.
What's this?

Oh, as always:
http://bugreport.apple.com/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-11-11, 03:44

Say you admin an internet cafe, a public library, or any public computer. Create a new user, and make a backup of the home directory, then delete the contents of the original. Union mount the backup at the original home dir. Any changes made to the home directory is confined to the home directory (including new files, deleted files and modified files), which can be restored to the backup state by deleting the contents of the home directory. Any changes made to the backup (which might be hosted on a remote server and accessed by multiple clients) are reflected in the original in real time.

This does not work on Mac OS X for a couple of reasons. One, the /usr/sbin/mount_union executable is missing. This can be worked around by using disk images instead with hdiutil. Two, HFSX does not (or at least Mac OS X does not implement this) white-out files, where a file is created specifying the deletion of the original file. If the user erases the contents of the home directory, that erases the backup.

There are other ways to accomplish this of course (usually deleting the original and restoring from a backup at set intervals), but this does not update the mount point directory in real time, is less flexible, uses more system resources and is slightly more difficult.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
2stepbay

2005-11-13, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
Also, Safari seemed lightning-fast and more stable immediately after installing 10.4.3 last week but now it's dragging again....I had high hopes for Safari in 10.4.3 but something still seems amiss.
If you are on broadband, deactivate the cache using Safari Enhancer. This may speed things up.

Also, if you use Safari Enhancer, a heads-up - Safari's "Empty Cache" is not greyed out in the Safari Menu even though it has been disabled. For reasons mentioned on SE's forum page , the Cache is nonetheless disabled. You'll notice in ~/library/cache/safari/directory there are no entries.

Last edited by 2stepbay : 2005-11-13 at 10:28. Reason: typo