AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Watch

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch
Page 4 of 11 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-13, 15:01

Do you think they'll have a second event when this watch is ready to hit the streets? I ask only because there's probably a good bit of stuff that hasn't been covered/revealed and would probably be best conveyed with the appropriate hype and demos. It might not have to be a standalone Apple Watch event (I don't think they'd do that), but it could piggyback onto another one (for a new iMac/Mac mini, or that rumored 12" MacBook)?

The iPhone got two big "event/stage" mentions...the big unveil at Macworld in January, and then again in June at WWDC, just prior to its release. We no longer get an annual, first-of-the-year show from Apple like we used to, so maybe they'd devote 15-30 minutes of a new Mac (and iLife/iWork) event to it? Just to remind everyone, and play it up some more?

Seems weird that Apple would have an event/unveil in early September, and then go another 4-6(?) months with not much else...and then just throw them out into the world (letting the website be the only source of "here's all the details, features and capabilities we didn't - or couldn't - talk about, five months ago"). You'd think they'd want to give a brand-new product like this as big of a push as possible (especially since it's likely to seen, right or wrong, as more of a limited-appeal item). And if they had some super-cool feature or capability up their sleeve, they'd want that out there in a big way (and not just a paragraph or two on the website).

I bet we get another onstage rundown/update on this before it hits the streets, as part of a nicely-timed event for some other product.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-13, 15:14

Well, from Apple's perspective they've just frozen the Android smart watch market, right on the cusp of vendors needing to get new hardware.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 15:20

pscates: We'll see. I'm guessing the Apple Watch will hit stores around March, so they definitely could have an early spring event (suggested cryptic invite hint: "It's time.") to show off all the launch details, some third party apps, &c. This is the same company that tends to run down the same ten bullet points for their new Mac OS at two different events; I don't think another smaller "deep dive" event just for the iWatch is at all out of the question. (They had an event for textbooks and iBooks Author, for crying out loud.) But they could also pair it with Mac updates, Beats updates, whatever.

What I'm curious about is what the update cycle is going to look like. Assuming annual updates, will they keep on refreshing it in the spring? Will they eventually move it to the fall, like everything else? Will they introduce new bands and such more often, perhaps seasonally?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-13, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Do you think they'll have a second event when this watch is ready to hit the streets? I ask only because there's probably a good bit of stuff that hasn't been covered/revealed and would probably be best conveyed with the appropriate hype and demos. It might not have to be a standalone Apple Watch event (I don't think they'd do that), but it could piggyback onto another one (for a new iMac/Mac mini, or that rumored 12" MacBook)?

(...)
If Apple has released the SDK for the Watch then I think the principal features and API's are a lock by now. Otherwise the developers wouldn't know what to expect from the hardware.

Also, do you guys think it will come with different storage capacities? Apps take up (a little) space and if the thing has Bluetooth then it could in principle play music over that. If the Sport version comes with integrated GPS then it would also make sense to be able to load up a map to it, so it could help you find your way around a new running route.

Oh, the possibilities are so plentiful!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-13, 16:14

The bands are something that could certainly be added at various times. Seasonally, or whenever they had a batch of good ideas, etc.

Yeah, I fully expect a second on-stage appearance of this thing, for a final push just prior to release.

As for updates, maybe they'd like these to happen in the spring (like the iPad used to). If they put them in the fall, that's going to get really packed, with the iPhone and iPad(?) stuff already taking place. They could roll this into either of those, but who knows.

Speaking of fall iDevice events...we know we're in 2014 - and well into the iPhone era - when not a single word about iPods is mentioned in a September event.

Still, though...a solid 10-year run (and they're still being sold, they're certainly not dead). Just kinda weird to realize they're no longer "the thing", and have quietly shuffled off the stage and have given up their time in the spotlight. If things go Apple's way, maybe this watch is the sort of thing that fills that spot, and generates that type of interest and popularity, for the next decade or so.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 16:34

Well, they've sort of moved iPods to a May/June update cycle, with the 16GB 5th gen replacing the 4th gen (May 2013) and then gaining a camera alongside price drops (June 2014).

At WWDC they said they've sold over 100 million iPod touches, which is nothing to sneeze at. They've been dropping the price instead of improving the specs because that's the best way to keep the line relevant — they're really aimed at kids, in a way that a contract iPhone usually can't be. That said, I'm expecting iPod touch updates in May, since iOS 9 will presumably drop support for the A5.

And maybe now that the iPod classic is gone, they can finally drop "touch" from the name and just call it the sixth-gen iPod.

Bringing this back on-topic, if they do keep refreshing the Apple Watch in spring, they'll have one big "personal device" launch each quarter, which is nice:

Apple Watch — March
iPod — June, or May when the update is "needed" before WWDC
iPhone — September
iPad — October

I think this is a nice arrangement, no? And Mac announcements could be sprinkled in as needed, since they only really need "stage time" when there's a redesign.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2014-09-13 at 16:56.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-13, 17:01

That'll work. I'll run it by Tim.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-13, 19:11

Random notes:

• The modern buckle may only be available in the 38mm size (at least, it's only included with 38 mm watches).

• The leather loop may only be available in the 42mm size (at least, it's only included with 42 mm watches).

• The sport band may be the cheapest band option, but Apple's apparently confident it won't feel too cheap: it's available with the Edition collection, and even includes a matching 18K gold clasp with this line. Gold and plastic, side by side...

• I'm impressed with how little regulatory garbage (FCC ID, UL and CE marks, &c.) appears to be included on the design, especially since there isn't a battery cover that all that minutiae can hide under. Earlier this year rumor had it that someone was pushing the FCC to allow those markings to be absent on devices that contained that same information in software, with the goal of allowing smaller devices.

• But: I think I've found one instance where, like the iPhone 5C's "hon"-gate, the design isn't quite as clean as it is in Apple's renders. On the picture of the rose gold Apple Watch Edition with white sport band on Apple's website, the disc of the clasp is free of any markings. However, at the very end of the "Design" video, the same side of the same clasp is quickly shown with an "18K" inscription, the Apple logo, and about four tiny markings I can't quite make out. Better on the band then on the watch, I suppose...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-16, 20:53

Finally! Gruber weighs in on his thoughts about the Apple Watch. I good read, echoing many of the points we've made here (and disagreeing with some, as well).

Be sitting down when you read what he thinks the prices are going to be...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-16, 21:02

Um, wow.

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-16, 21:33

Heh, I came over to post that.

I think he's right about the gold watch, although I hope the stainless steel is a little more in reach. I don't see why stainless steel over aluminum needs to add $600 to the price.

But gold, given the price per ounce and the amount most likely in that case? Yeah, that's thousands right there.

I like his idea about trade-ins or updates, though. It's hard to imagine dropping 5 large on a watch that's going to be obsolete in 4 years. But if you could get a substantial discount on the next one? Or update for even less? And then after you swap out the internals a few times you get the new case, as well, because at that point it's considerable thinner.

I was also intrigued by his take on functionally. That there's far more to this puppy than has been revealed, further distinguishing it from Android's phone accessory model. We'll see, but I bet he's right.

I bet he's also right about a new "Apple of things"-- that they're ready to enter an era where they built out an Apple ecosystem that puts Apple computing smarts and Apple interoperability into all kinds of stuff. Should be a fun ride.

But one thing he's for damn sure right about: the tech press will squeal like stuck pigs when they reveal the pricing. They can only understand this in terms of competition with Android. Costs a shit load more than Android, fail. That's as far as they can see. We'll see.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-16, 21:50

My pulled-from-thin-air guess on pricing for the stainless steel watch is $599. Just feels right and mirrors the cost of the original iPhone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-16, 22:16

That's what I've been saying, regarding this watch. There's no way we've seen all it'll do. I'm not expecting crazy, unrealistic stuff, but let's be realistic...it wasn't all that earth-shattering, function-wise, last Tuesday.

It'll grow and add, I'm sure.

And, yes..."things". The home automation stuff will eventually factor in and be watch-controllable, I'm sure. A lot of things will. All these things we've been seeing laid out and implemented in little chunks over the past few years, they're all building to something. It'll start small and modest, but in 3-4 years, it could be Huge and Important™.

You're right about the press...good grief, they're gonna lose their minds. But Gruber's got a point, and it's been stated by others here: Apple isn't positioning this as a gadget-y "smartwatch" to "take on Google". It seems they're going for something much bigger..."a good watch, period, that'll do more than any you've ever owned", analog or otherwise. It just happens to be made by a computer company (because it's got a little computer in it).

Still, though...I don't see how they're going to pull those Rolex guys and other high-end users off their routine. This is going to be so interesting to follow, these next few years. It's all completely unknown and up-in-the-air. And will be for some time to come, even after the prices are known and they're in the stores.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-17, 02:35

Disappointed in Gruber. I think he is off the mark on a number of things there.

Of course, its a bit concerning to me because he is usually very on the mark, and he very well could be.

Mostly, I don't think Apple has all that many tricks up its sleeve. I think the functionality of the watch is going to be pretty much as we have seen. I also don't for a second think that the stainless steel model will cost anywhere close to $999.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2014-09-17, 09:57

I think for this watch to really replace watches, longer term, it needs to function as a timepiece without charging. It'd be great if the clock were to work on solar or wrist movement, once the system battery died and the solar/movement took over to at least preserve the orginal function of a watch.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-17, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
(...)

Mostly, I don't think Apple has all that many tricks up its sleeve. I think the functionality of the watch is going to be pretty much as we have seen. I also don't for a second think that the stainless steel model will cost anywhere close to $999.
I agree, both regarding the features and the price.

Of course I expect them to add features via software updates over time, but what we just saw seems like plenty for a first try. In fact, I was kinda overwhelmed by how much functionality they were presenting at the keynote. Better not to try too many things at once and kill the experience by for example sacrificing battery life.

Regarding the price, I think Gruber underestimates the fact that these first generation devices are at best going to last three years before they will be ripe for replacement. And charging luxury premiums for something like that is not easy to justify for ordinary middle class consumers. The steel/sapphire version might be better than the Sport, but it can still be seen as a sensible choice that won't stand out as conspicuous consumption. The Edition watches on the other hand, are a whole different thing. People who buy gilded (or solid gold) consumer electronics are either rich or irrational, so pricing works different on them.

My guess: Ordinary Watch $499 and Watch Edition $∞

Also, I loved Grubers term; "shit fit". It nicely describes all those fandroid comments on iPhone 6 reviews that suggest that Apple has paid off the reviewer. Because "how can that thing possibly be better than my HTC One M8?! It's impossible, it's a lie!!!! The Edition watches are indeed very likely to have an excellent troll factor on these guys.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-17, 19:21

As I mentioned earlier, I'm in the "steel Apple Watch with sport band for $499" camp. Maybe $50 less for the smaller version? And $100 less than those prices for the Apple Watch Sport gets you down to that $349 starting price. I could maybe see ~$599 for the steel model, but I think Apple will want to hit that magic sub-$500 mark for their "mainstream" model, like they did with the iPad. (Remember, they even launched the iPhone with a $499 4GB model.)

I do expect the different bands to bump the price up significantly, so you'll have a nice range. And for the Edition models, the sky's the limit. Four digits at least.

I'm personally planning on shelling out $500 for a steel Apple Watch with white sport band, and then an extra ~$100 for the classic leather (of course ) buckle or ~$150 for the modern buckle, depending on whether the modern buckle is available for whichever size I decide on. (I'll buy the leather band separate because I want the white sport band too.) I'm expecting the Milanese loop and link bracelet to be more expensive but I have little interest in those, though the link bracelet is super impressive.

And I was planning on a March release, but now that I think about it I think Apple will really want to have these out in time for Valentine's day.

I'm guessing Apple's going to be careful with how they roll these out to other retailers, too. Will we see (non-gold) Apple Watches at Walmarts? Would that make the Edition less desirable?

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-17, 20:05

Yeah, and speaking of which: how are they even going to sell the Editions? Several thousand dollars worth of gold in convenient ingot size? Can't see putting those out on the demo stands in the stores. And the people who are in the market for these things aren't going to want to wait at the genius bar while some kids finds one in the back, are they?

My guess: Apple will work with purveyors of fine time pieces and sell the Editions exclusively through those channels.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-17, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I'm in the "steel Apple Watch with sport band for $499" camp. Maybe $50 less for the smaller version? And $100 less than those prices for the Apple Watch Sport gets you down to that $349 starting price. I could maybe see ~$599 for the steel model, but I think Apple will want to hit that magic sub-$500 mark for their "mainstream" model, like they did with the iPad. (Remember, they even launched the iPhone with a $499 4GB model.)

I do expect the different bands to bump the price up significantly, so you'll have a nice range. And for the Edition models, the sky's the limit. Four digits at least.

I'm personally planning on shelling out $500 for a steel Apple Watch with white sport band, and then an extra ~$100 for the classic leather (of course ) buckle or ~$150 for the modern buckle, depending on whether the modern buckle is available for whichever size I decide on. (I'll buy the leather band separate because I want the white sport band too.) I'm expecting the Milanese loop and link bracelet to be more expensive but I have little interest in those, though the link bracelet is super impressive.

And I was planning on a March release, but now that I think about it I think Apple will really want to have these out in time for Valentine's day.

I'm guessing Apple's going to be careful with how they roll these out to other retailers, too. Will we see (non-gold) Apple Watches at Walmarts? Would that make the Edition less desirable?
They might keep the Edition or super nice, expensive stuff online and the Apple Stores? Where they can fully control the vibe or presentation? I don't know...this is all so different than anything they've done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Yeah, and speaking of which: how are they even going to sell the Editions? Several thousand dollars worth of gold in convenient ingot size? Can't see putting those out on the demo stands in the stores. And the people who are in the market for these things aren't going to want to wait at the genius bar while some kids finds one in the back, are they?

My guess: Apple will work with purveyors of fine time pieces and sell the Editions exclusively through those channels.
Yeah, that's a possibility too on those particular models. I don't think we're going to see the gold ones at your standard retail/electronics stores (theft, image, vibe, etc. will probably all factor in). Of course all of them are theft-worthy, but the gold (if it's in the four-figures), certainly will be. It's 18k solid gold, Gruber says. That's some real money!

And I'm not trying to broad-brush here, but...well, at the two Walmart stores closest to me, they damn well better put the Edition under about 8" of Plexiglass with a cannon guarding it. The phrase "low-rent shithole, full of people auditioning for guest roles on Cops" springs to mind. Every time I go there, there's a police car outside, and the officer is inside talking to someone (customer, employee, manager, etc.). You put those things into Walmart at your own risk, Apple.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-17, 21:58

The "cheap" version will probably be more rugged than the others. Water resistance at least. It won't have a Sapphire lens.

Seiko, a watch company that runs the entire range of prices from around $100-$5000+, uses a material called Hardlux for their dive watches. It's not as scratch resistant as Sapphire but much harder to shatter.

They also make a line of watches in the dive "style" that is much more refined. Those are Sapphire and handmade. And really expensive.

For Apple, I think they will want to cover a wide range of prices and the only way for them to do that is to have a price structure similar to what Gruber suggested. It'd be a bitter pill to swallow for people like me who'd like a nice watch but aren't willing to drop a grand on one. Not on a watch that will be obsolete in 2-3 years. It'll be a tough sell.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-18, 10:27

The main reason I think the steel watches won't be ~$600 more than the Sport collection is that you have to step up to the steel to get any band other than the sport band included. If there was a large gap in price, I think we'd see Sport models with the leather loop, &c. to fill that gap. But we don't.

Also, the huge number of steel SKUs suggests Apple views it as their mainstream model.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-20, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And I'm not trying to broad-brush here, but...well, at the two Walmart stores closest to me, they damn well better put the Edition under about 8" of Plexiglass with a cannon guarding it. The phrase "low-rent shithole, full of people auditioning for guest roles on Cops" springs to mind. Every time I go there, there's a police car outside, and the officer is inside talking to someone (customer, employee, manager, etc.). You put those things into Walmart at your own risk, Apple.
Briefly off-topic of the Apple Watch, but lest anyone thinks I was exaggerating for effect (or doing schtick)...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/9/1...nway-View.aspx

Off-topic (click to toggle):
"Where is 490 Greenway View Drive", you ask? Why, it's only the address of the very Walmart I talk about above. Even freakier, if you note the time-stamp of my original post, you'll see it was around 9:15pm Wesnesday night. According to the above story, this assault took place at 9:35pm.

Unfortunately, real life decided to back me up/prove my point, a mere 15-20 minutes after me making the above comments.

While I've heard of shoplifting, employee assaults, muggings, confrontations, robberies, fights, vandalism, etc. at this particular location for years, this is, by far, the most serious crime I've heard taking place there. I never go there after dark (nobody with any sense does), but it's getting to where even going during the daytime can a dice-roll. Walmart should just nuke it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-02, 12:40

The latest podcast from John Gruber features John talking with a very boring guest about all this watch stuff. It's nearly two-and-a-half hours long, so they cover a lot of ground. I only wish Gruber had a more vibrant or engaging (and engaged) guest - Jason Snell, John Moltz, Guy English, Joanna Stern, etc. (any of us his usual go-to crew of guests) - to talk about such a thing. I literally had to listen to it in smaller, 20-minute chunks because the guest was both boring and a bit too know-it-all hipster-smug in his tone at times.

But it's better than nothing. I guess.

Check it out. Stick a Dr. Pepper or espresso IV into your arm beforehand. You'll thank me.

Man, I don't know...nothing about this watch jumps out at me as "it's gonna be huge". I thought listening to the above would change that, or open my eyes about it. It kinda did the opposite, truth be told. Usually Gruber can almost work his own little RDF and sometimes lay things out in a way that I haven't considered and kinda change my mind on some stuff (the iPad mini springs to mind). But it didn't happen here. Even they don't sound particularly convinced or passionate. It almost seems like "well, we're big Apple guys so we should probably try and muster some enthusiasm about this for a couple of hours...".

Everything I felt about the iPod, iPhone and iPad when I first saw them unveiled just isn't present with this watch.

The cost? The purpose? The limited-appeal? What problems is it solving? What situation is it improving? Too nice for casual use? Too casual/"techie" to make a play for the serious watch crowd?

All the above.

And despite having it drilled into my head for several weeks now - and Apple showing it off at some Paris fashion event this week - I don't find it particularly stylish or attractive. I'm sorry, but I don't. It kinda looks like the first-generation of something that nobody was asking for. Or that nobody really gives a shit about, big picture (and if they do, I've yet to hear anyone truly articulate why, beyond "it's something new and cool from Apple!"). Which, honestly, isn't really much of a reason.

But, because it's Apple, they're going to get a bit more leeway and room to run on this, I imagine. They've certainly earned it, but...I just don't know on this. This is going to be, hands-down, the most interesting thing to follow next year...just to see how such a thing - something brand-new, post-Jobs and with a questionable purpose/role - really fits into the world. And if it'll sell because it's truly amazing and does something nothing else does (or can), or if it's floated by "iMomentum" and reputation, to where thousands of people will lay down their money for one, just because it's something "new and cool from Apple", and then, three months later, not even know where they put it..."it's in one of those desk drawers over there, I think...it's kinda bulky, it doesn't really do all that much, I had to charge it much more than I imagined and it's really not all that easy or fun to use, after you get over that initial first-day joy/discovery. Oh, and one of my co-workers kept sending me his heartbeat and it was creeping me the hell out...".

I can see that happening, clear as a bell. Tech fatigue and "I was RDF'd from beyond the grave into getting this, and I don't really know WTF for! I had $500 laying around and thought 'what the hell...'"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-10-02 at 12:56.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-10-02, 13:06

The guest was Ben Thompson, who writes the Stratechery website. I liked him. He's been on before I believe. I don't know whether it was him or the topic that made ti dry. I've listened to at least 7 podcasts about the watch at this point so I think I'm just over it.

That being said, I do think this will be big, but not as big as the iPhone/iPod/iPad have been. It's already limiting in the fact that it's just a watch, so that's going to cut down a lot. Plus the price, is going to wave off a ton of others.

I wear a watch regularly now, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this is going to play out. Obviously cost is a big deal and I'm very interested to see how the prices break out, but I definitely am interested. There's not enough features announced yet to make it a "must buy" for me, but definitely something that I'm going to take a good long look at.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-02, 14:12

Yeah, I recognized his name and he has been on before. I think I kinda had the same reaction before...just very dry and measured (but then kinda smug and "nyah nyah" at times). Nowhere near as bad as Marco Arment (I can't listen to that pud).

I like when funny people are on, because it usually prods Gruber into being the same...and he really can be. Sometimes he'll say something perfectly and I'll chuckle for five minutes. But I think he takes his cues from his guests, so he was pretty low-key and laid-back on this episode.

But I like when he's really into something and laying it down.

The best episodes - and there have only been two - are the ones with Joanna Stern from the Wall Street Journal. She's funny and quick, and she has Gruber chuckling the entire episode. Some people just make stuff funny when they talk, and how they phrase things or the things they point out. She seems to be that way. Those are two solid episodes. She's my favorite guest of his, followed by Jason Snell (who's kinda the Bob Ross of Apple stuff...he's just pleasant to listen to, and is never obnoxious or snarky).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-02, 19:11

Since Paul kinda asked for compelling reasons so I'll try to put mine here for why I plan to get one.

I used to be a watch guy until I was on a ship and it became a problem. This was followed by always having a pager/phone on me with a clock on it. Fast forward to now and I have been looking for a watch for a long time. Nothing jumped out to me until this phone was presented.

Currently I have to pull my phone out of my pocket to read the time. I would rather not just to read the time. Same for checking my schedule or even messages. This watch would let me leave the phone in my pocket. I can also check the schedule and even interact with Siri for dictation stuff without needing to touch my phone. If I had an iPhone 6+ I would really want something like this for when on the go.

I am currently using a 5S with no plans to upgrade at this point so the Watch should allow me to use Pay without feeling like I would miss out. My bank is even one of the banks that will support it by the time it launches.

I use a Fitbit Ultra for tracking my daily life since I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. The alerts to get me off my butt every hour and replace my aging Ultra are well welcomed. It also would tie natively into Health app on the phone too. At a guy who goes to the gym three times a week and is sitting at a desk all others, these tools help me not notice how much time has passed since I actually did *something*.

The interaction where you can "tap" and send drawings to someone really appeals to my wife and I as a means to communicate through our day. We normally message through Messages most of the time or my Jabber server, but this would add a new element.

I do like the design though I wouldn't mind it being thinner. I don't normally wear long sleeve shirts so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

At this point everything it was talked about doing for you on stage is exactly what I was looking for from a smart watch. Sure this isn't going to be for everyone, it however is a great fit for me and my wife. Heck, she even really likes it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-10-02, 19:35

I *am* a watch guy and I will probably get an Apple Watch, too. There is so much that I can see it doing that the phone does for me now but in a less compromised way. The first and most obvious are notifications. Then the haptic feedback for directions. Then helping me track activity. Using it while running rather than dragging out my phone.

I may resent the need to charge it every night - my watch needs to be manually wound daily but that only takes 10 seconds tops and if I forget it's not a problem. Plus, it's the future and I love to be on the cutting edge. I have had the first gen of the iPod, iPhone and iPad and I've never regretted anything about those decisions.

Except selling them. I'm keeping this first gen even if I get the second gen too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-02, 21:19

turtle, fair enough. Thanks for the response/feedback. Sounds like you'll enjoy it!

I can't wait to see how it all plays out next year...the pricing, logistics, who jumps on it, who doesn't, which locations/areas it does extra well in, if it winds up (hahaha!) being sold in traditional watch retailers, if there are as-yet-unrevealed capabilities or features (software or otherwise) that really put it over the top (and make it a little extra cooler/special than what we've seen already).

2015 is going to be the year this sort of thing either really takes off, or doesn't. I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe that if someone's going to do this, and make it work (and make people pony up), it'll be Apple. It's cool, just as an Apple guy, seeing the birth and roll-out of a brand-new product (and all that it involves...it's been a while). Even if I don't fully "get it", or have the desire for one, it'll be neat to observe and follow.

torifile, on that Gruber podcast above, he seems to think that Apple's holding something in the bag (or that they're working hard on the battery end of it, to surprise/please everyone with something we're not expecting). Again, Apple - controlling the entire experience, and having a solid background in making small, smart stuff that seems to magically do more than we'd ever assume, just looking at it - are the ones to make this happen.

I said it earlier this thread, but there's still a lot we don't know. They're holding back some stuff, I'm sure, because it'll need another good dose of build-up and PR as launch day nears. There's gonna be a few nice surprises, I'm betting. And one of them could very well be battery life. Didn't some patent drawings come out last year that talked about some battery/power developments? At the time, we all just assume it was iPhone/iPad-bound, but they could be trying to do something big here. The fact they mentioned little-to-nothing about battery on September 9 means a) it's not a done deal, and b) whatever they're working toward, they know it's going to be better in the coming months than they could ever report right now.

And, yes...do not sell your first-generation Apple Watch (hell, Apple anything, IMO). I'm glad I held onto my 2007 first-generation iPhone. Sometimes it's just fun to get it out and mess with it. A great piece of tech history that I'm glad I had the sense to hold onto (I had someone wanting to buy it a few years back, but I declined). I'm 100% convinced this will be the kind of thing I can whip out in a group of like-minded folks in another 10-15 years and get a big reaction. Just blow a bunch of nerds away.

Looking back, I wish I'd bought two and just kept the other completely boxed-up and unused. That would be worth something one day, I think...a pristine, fully-intact (packaging, documentation, accessories) first-generation iPhone. Go on Antiques Roadshow with it!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-01-04, 21:38

I'm personally really disappointed that nothing new has come out about the Watch. I know I shouldn't be and that more details will come then it time and all that, I just want more than the little teaser we were given months ago. I've actually be saving my allowance like a good little boy so I know I'll have enough to buy it when it's released/sold.

More than anything at this point I really just want to know the pricing. Not speculated pricing, that has hardly even been right on a new product.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-01-04, 22:18

I think it's dumb now