Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

External Display for iMac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
External Display for iMac?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-15, 21:59

I was wondering if anyone knows of an external LCD display that looks good with an iMac 20". I would like it to be a 20" that matches up well with the iMac, meaning that the lcd's are about the same height. Does anyone have a setup they like or have suggestions about good lcd's for use with the iMac as an external display? It would be nice if it is the same color or close to the color of the iMac; however, this is not a necessity. I like the Apple displays but they are a little pricey! Thanks for the help all!
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-04-16, 03:47

Hi MACleod, which revision of the iMac do you have? I would love to have two displays for my iMac Rev B but unfortunatly was dissapointed to find that it would only mirror the original display.

I have been told by apple that only the new Intel iMac's are able to have extended displays - if you have got an intel one - great - it will work, anything older

In response to your original question, I have not seen any flat panel displays that match the iMac. I linked my ultra Dell 19" which I was amazed by on my Dell, however, when linking it to my iMac I was blown away on how much better the iMac display was compared to my ultra Dell one making me think after all that money I spent on it, it aint that great after all meaning the original Dell Value monitors are even more naff!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-16, 03:55

Dell displays come with a height-adjustable stand. I don't know if it can reach high enough for the iMac, but you could always prop it up on something.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2006-04-16, 04:00

yes it can - mine does which I suppose is a good point - I was able to get it spot-on level wise - don't get me wrong, the upper end of the Dell displays like the one i have got are very good, but sitting next to the iMac was it seemed inferior - wasn't impressed.

BUT when I roll on my wheelie chair to the other side of the room to use the PC, it still is a crisp bright and good display...

Do you understand what I am saying? I hope so!

I have read that the new 30" Dell display is so awesome that even Apple upped their on Cinema Displays to match it... Dell have come a long way recently...

But still think that you will struggle to find a nice iMac white monitor but suppose that the branding / appearance of the apple cinema displays are a close match because of the stand and logos etc... but like you say they are expensive, but on the other hand the quality is good - I really wish I could use another external monitor to extend my desktop.

I was in the Apple store the other day and saw two Cinema Displays next to each other for video editing and thought wow! I want two!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-16, 04:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77uk
I have read that the new 30" Dell display is so awesome that even Apple upped their on Cinema Displays to match it... Dell have come a long way recently...
Actually, the specs match because Dell and Apple are getting the screen from the same manufacturer.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-16, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Actually, the specs match because Dell and Apple are getting the screen from the same manufacturer.
But Dell used a newer revision of the panel, and Apple only recently upgraded to that.
steve77uk

2006-04-16, 04:11

Quote:
yeah - I heard that too, but wasn't 100% on it - thanks!

I suppose then it is really down to price between the two...

Dell 3007WFP 30-inch Widescreen Digital Flat Panel LCD Monitor
was £1,471.10
now £1,467.58
incl. VAT, shipping
[You Save £3.53] wow what a saving! hehe

----
or
----

30" Cinema HD
£1,799.00
(£1,531.06) ex VAT

Sorry folks, don't work in $$$ over here!

even the wallpaper the Dell uses look's Apple-ish - wonder if it was intended that was to lure Apple users over..?
Mac Donald

2006-04-16, 16:04

Quote:
even the wallpaper the Dell uses look's Apple-ish - wonder if it was intended that was to lure Apple users over..?
No. All PC makers use that wallpaper in ads. By the way, Philips makes the LCD's for both and they are now the exact same part number, but I have heard that the ACD's generally are higher quality in some area independent of just the actual LCD part. Don't know enough about this to have an opinion however (except that I'd glady use either one).

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2006-04-16, 22:24

As someone else pointed out, I'm not sure there are any LCD displays with a white bezel that might match the iMac.

In fact the only thing that I've seen that has any hint of white is the LG L1981Q. But even that has only white on the back of the display along with a huge LG logo. I suppose if your desk is positioned in the middle of the room, and the back of the monitors are exposed, the two might match.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/LG_Flat...5.html?tag=box
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-17, 17:04

Has anyone used a 20" or 23" cinema display with the iMac? How does it line up with the 20" iMac screen if you have used it or have seen them next to each other? I have looked at the measurements of the cinema display and the iMac and neither the 20" or the 23" line up in the height but I think the 23" might be almost right just a little taller, which migh be better than being smaller. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-17, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
But Dell used a newer revision of the panel, and Apple only recently upgraded to that.
But Dell just recently upgraded to the newer panel, too. The Apple Cinema Displays and Dell **05 series displays were basically identical. Then, earlier this year, Dell upgraded to the **07 series displays, and Apple followed suit shortly thereafter. So they've always been pretty much on par with eachother.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
steve77uk

2006-04-18, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
Has anyone used a 20" or 23" cinema display with the iMac? How does it line up with the 20" iMac screen if you have used it or have seen them next to each other? I have looked at the measurements of the cinema display and the iMac and neither the 20" or the 23" line up in the height but I think the 23" might be almost right just a little taller, which migh be better than being smaller. What are your thoughts? Thanks
I came by this post the other day - however it is a picture of the Dell monitor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarls
This is my set-up. It does me, although I just cannot wait for the Adobe apps to go native.

Intel iMac Core Duo - 20" Display
Dell 2405FPW
Resting on the iMac foot is a 12 inch powerbook
Wacom A5 wide

The thread is this one: http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...&postcount=452

As you can see the iMac is resting on something to make it the right height... I did see an Intel iMac in the Apple Store, they had a cinema display next to the iMac and it was at the same height - also bear in mind that they use the same stand as the imac which I think goes to the centre of the display so presume if the dimensions of the monitor are the same as the whole iMac then I presume they will be the same also...?

Last edited by steve77uk : 2006-04-18 at 02:16.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-04-18, 02:15

The iMac is not resting on anything other than the desk... the person who took the picture notes that its a 12" Powerbook resting on the iMacs foot, not something to make it higher.
Quote:
Resting on the iMac foot is a 12 inch powerbook
steve77uk

2006-04-18, 02:17

your right - didn't read it right - I 'stand' corrected...
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 09:28

Do you know what size cinema display they had next to the iMac in the store? Thanks for the link to that other post by the way.
steve77uk

2006-04-18, 11:20

hmmm no but it looked the same as the imac to be honest - probably the same as above photos which I think this chaps is 24"? next time I am in I will have a look
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 11:52

Thanks. I went to my University Bookstore today and they had a 20" cinema display next to a 17" Intel iMac. It looked very nice and the screens lined up very well! He said that the 20" iMac has the same top height of the screen so it would look just like that. He went on to further say that the 20" iMac is the same height as the 17" iMac and that they just made it wider and take away some of the bottom white region below the screen to fit the 20" into the iMac case. This can't be true considering the iMac on the Apple website is show as 16.9" high for the 17" and 18.6" high for the 20". So essentially he was wrong...right?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-18, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
This can't be true considering the iMac on the Apple website is show as 16.9" high for the 17" and 18.6" high for the 20". So essentially he was wrong...right?
Correct.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 11:57

Did a little more research and found out that the 20" cinema display is 16.1" inches high (that must be why it lined up with the 17" iMac so well considering the area taken up above the screen by the iSight). The 23" cinema display is 17.7" high. So it is a little under an inch shorted than the 20" iMac. Probably about 3/4 of an inch or even 1/2 of an inch when you take into account the space taken up by the iSight. Could anyone with a 20" Intel iMac give me the height of the top of the screen? Same for the cinema displays even anyone can do so with those too.

Also, could anyone help me figure out the differences in all the dells here? I like their 20.1" and 24" widescreens but there are like 4 models for each. I see that the contrast ratio is going up. Is that the main difference in all of them and is that difference worth the extra money? Also, what is the contrast ratio on the Apple Cinema Displays is only 400:1 while the most expensive of the 24" dells and I think even the most expensive of the 20.1" dells boast a 1000:1 with their lowest end models at 600:1 or 800:1 contrast. How accurate are these and how important are these contrast ratio ratings?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance!

Last edited by macleod : 2006-04-18 at 19:12.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77uk
As you can see the iMac is resting on something to make it the right height... I did see an Intel iMac in the Apple Store, they had a cinema display next to the iMac and it was at the same height - also bear in mind that they use the same stand as the imac which I think goes to the centre of the display so presume if the dimensions of the monitor are the same as the whole iMac then I presume they will be the same also...?
Actually the height of the 20" cinema display is shorter than the 20" iMac as I said in a post right above here.

Last edited by macleod : 2006-04-19 at 07:55.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 20:51

Also one more question, what is a good website to get lcd comparisons and ratings?