Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2018 Reunion Month
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2018-06-28, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
No kidding! I'm not sure I'd have moved without at least having housing covered. Where are you now?
Sitting in my new house! We moved from Richmond, British Columbia, to Whitby, Ontario. Threw our stuff in a Pod, drove for 2 weeks (trying to average 4 hours a day of driving otherwise my 5 year old would climb the walls...) and then spent two weeks in an AirBnB while we frantically looked for a place. It all worked out very nicely, although now I have to unpack all these boxes.

Our house has the cable connection box on the front lawn, which is a bit ugly, but I'm getting 200mbps down so I won't complain. Priorities!

Also, our old home burned down the day we left (many hours after we left - it was duplex and its started next door). It was on the news: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/neighbours-res...home-1.3956717
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-28, 12:54

:O

Talk about leaving in the nick of time!
¡Damned!

2018-06-28, 18:11

How is no one talking about Bryson's insane bush & hedge trimming skills in that news report?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-06-28, 19:14

"Did we leave the stove on?"

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-06-29, 13:19

I was looking at that. Thankfully Bryson's family is clear, the new tenants were already moving in. Otherwise that would look really shady for a family to move out and their place burn right now after they moved across the country.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2018-06-29, 20:14

Bryson, I'll be up in your neck of the woods in October!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2018-06-30, 17:50

zippy Great to hear from you. I echo Drew’s sentiment and hope your treatment enables you to turn your depression/anxiety around.

crazychester Well, hello Margie! I hope you’re doing well. Are you still in Tassie?

Bryson Good on you for helping save your neighbours! Hope the new place is great for you. What brought about the move?

AWR I love the first shuffle as well and I had the first Intel iMac - which I still recall fondly. My parents have it now, but I think it still runs. It was more exciting then.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2018-07-02, 16:07

It wasn't us actually - the guy owns another house nearby as well. We were about 400km away by that point, in Kamloops. I have to admit that I a: Racked my brain for anything I had done that might have caused it (I didn't..) and b: worried about whether anyone would ever rent to us again after they found out and c: felt like a putz for putting so much effort into cleaning those carpets before we moved out.

We moved because my wife got a new job and we're trying to escape the insanity-level west coast house prices.

I wasn't in charge of bush trimming.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-07-03, 00:11

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reunion month has been extended into July until further notice.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2018-07-03, 04:26

Good!

Among many others, we’re missing pscates2.0.

I’d also like to know where curiousuburb, our eleventh-oldest member, went. I fear the worst given his Homeric struggle with cancer, and yet I thought he would have arranged for someone to tell us in that case. Maybe he carefully opted not to do that.

As for the forum, it had its time when the world was young, and it was a good time; but I think it’s over. That’s okay! I don’t mind being reminded of the days when I thought Apple could change the world as it changed my world with a 12-inch iBook G4. It did later change the world with the iPhone, but that turned out to be change of the wrong sort and the start of my disillusion with ‘technology’ and eventual distrust of it. Looking around today we see that Silicon Valley culture has spread across the world at terrible cost to happiness in the workplace, tech has enabled unthinkable politics to become mainstream, inequality is worse than at any time since the 1920s with no audible alternative thought leadership, and we’re screwing the planet and anyone who’s slightly different from us with extraordinary disdain for the consequences. And since journalists and intellectuals have been replaced by charlatans and social media influencers, it’s hard to imagine a way out in the forseeable future. There may be a major reset in my lifetime, but in the meantime grimness extends as far as the eye can discern in any direction.

Of course my cosy lifestyle in Paris does not immediately appear grim. I don’t have much money but neither do I work very much, and that is allowing me to write a book on the intersection of cycling and consumerism.

Nice to hear from the posters above. I wish everyone well with their struggles, duties, and surfeit of choice.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-07-03, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
It did later change the world with the iPhone, but that turned out to be change of the wrong sort and the start of my disillusion with ‘technology’ and eventual distrust of it. Looking around today we see that Silicon Valley culture has spread across the world at terrible cost to happiness in the workplace, tech has enabled unthinkable politics to become mainstream, inequality is worse than at any time since the 1920s with no audible alternative thought leadership, and we’re screwing the planet and anyone who’s slightly different from us with extraordinary disdain for the consequences. And since journalists and intellectuals have been replaced by charlatans and social media influencers, it’s hard to imagine a way out in the forseeable future. There may be a major reset in my lifetime, but in the meantime grimness extends as far as the eye can discern in any direction.
Well, this paragraph is a lot.

First of all, the second coming of smartphones has been a huge boon to the world. It's not without problems, such as privacy issues, excessive screen time, and a race-to-the-bottom consumer software market, but it has improved enriched billions of people. It's a humongous deal.

Second, your political assertions mostly only apply to the first world. Globally speaking, there has never been a better time. Between 1980 and 2015, extreme poverty went down from 44% to just 9.6%! Or, to put that in absolute numbers, it went down from 1.96 billion people to 705 million. Other statistics are equally heartening.

I'm quite concerned with some political trends, but to conclude that everything is worse is simplistic — and approaching political topics simplistically is, ironically, one of the big problems we're having right now.
zippy
Veteran Member

2018-07-04, 17:06

Thanks for the well wishes Drew and Mac+. I think I’m getting the help I need and things are better.

Our US political state is a constant source of angst and disappointment, but we will weather the storm. Any administration is temporary. They can have long lasting effects, but we can course correct. I think this has been a huge lesson in just how much consequence elections can have.

As for tech and interests, I have about as much interest in the future of Electric Vehicles and Tesla in particular as I did of Apple back in the day. Solar advancements are also super exciting. I follow some of that, but not at a super technical level. I’d like to learn more, just haven’t invested the time yet.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2018-07-06, 06:30

If the rumored orange iPhone can’t bring pscates back I fear nothing will.

As for me, life is okay. I turned 30, so I feel fucking OLD. Moving to “suburbia” didn’t help. Okay, it’s not technically the burbs, but we’re not downtown any more…Rent in PDX has gone crazy and somehow I wasn’t smart enough to get a condo in, like, 1998, so we decided to buy a place a bit further out, with a yard and neighbors and everything. I think Bri likes it more than I do, but he was always more of a homebody. Bjarni likes the yard though, and even though it’s small for a house we have way more room than before. Bri has a garage, I have a craft room/office (oh what they hey, it’s all Lego) and the idea is that we’ll modernize it (it’s not a “fixer upper” per se, but it is dated in some easily-remedied surface ways) and maybe sell it in a few years if the economy doesn’t tank.

Of course, now I want to move to Canada.

But we’ll see. We put some solar panels up on the roof, which only really makes sense if we’re staying there longer-term, but that wasn’t a purely financial decision. I’ve still been obsessed with building a tiny house and that’s actually legal in Oregon now…as an accessory dwelling to a “real” house, which we have now, so huzzah? Maybe we’ll build a tiny house on wheels in the backyard and then haul it up to the Great White North. But now that I’m used to all this space I might not be able to give it up

What else…the lease on our lovely “Orange Special” X1 was up (three years goes by so fast!) so we turned it in and got...an X2, which is a bizarre amalgamation that should not exist and I think I love it. The new X1 is a lot taller and more SUV-y than ours, which I didn’t like, and the X2 is still bigger but it feels not as tall (because it’s a Sport Wanktivity Coupe or whatever) so it was what we chose. It’s not orange, though. It’s this eye-searing yellow-green color and I adore it and our neighbors hate it even more than the Orange Special and that makes me love it even more. Like the bloatier new X1 (but unlike our X1 *Classic*) it’s FWD, which I thought would bother me since it’s “sacrilege” and everything but honestly it’s…fine? Like, it’s fine, guys.

We never did get the matching orange Z4 to go with the Orange Special (guess I didn’t buy enough Bitcoin)…but we *did* pick up a super cute used 500e for really cheap (seriously guys, a bunch of leases have expired and they’ve just been dumped onto the market, it’s crazy, y’all should look into it) and it’s that bright electric orange color that they all seem to be, so for a brief period we were living the Two Orange Car Dream regardless.

I’m going back to school this fall, because I can’t shake the feeling that I’m not really living up to my potential as a person and I’m not doing what I was meant to do. I’m still a little skeptical about school but I think I need to give this one (more) real go before I get too old (luckily I don’t look like a “returning student”). I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and we’re trying to start to manage it a little better so hopefully I’ll have better outcomes in school than I did before. I figure if nothing else it’ll be a good way to meet people. It’s hard to meet people when you’re an adult!

I don’t know what else to put here. Still using the same old Mac because the keyboards on all the new ones terrify me. I’ve moved up the ladder at my boring corporate job but I *really* don’t like it. Still trying to figure out exactly how to do what I want to do (which is still too many things). But I’m doing okay! Finding myself busy with things I never really thought I’d be busy with (like, uh, gardening?) but that’s growing up I suppose.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-07-06, 22:56

SURELY your rampant use of the word ORANGE in your (awesome) update will be sufficient to attract Scates back for a check-in?

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2018-07-13, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reunion month has been extended into July until further notice.

Phew, I just thought I missed the party
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2018-08-02, 14:27

Well shit, I missed the end of reunion month(s) by a few days. Oh well, maybe next time.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-08-03, 22:29

YOU ARE IN LUCK!!

The admin oversight committee has granted an additional month for the reunion, and don't forget that September is Jennifer Aniston appreciation month, and in October our next Mindcraft tournament will return! 2018 is HAPPENING!!

Iago

2018-08-09, 07:02

D̡͙͓̺̋ͮͩ͑͛̌͋͢͞͡͝ö̦͎͎̪̞͉̯͎ ̳̤͕̱̬̬͖̖̗̏̓̑̊̿̓̆ͮͩ̾́̚͘͝ȩ ̞̳̼͚̩̗̘̰͎̜̥̦̻̮̻̠̱̠̐̄̀͌͘s̡ ͕͉̜̖̭͖͇͈̯̘̲̗̖̲̪͔͂͐ͤ̄͗̿̽ͮ̋ ́͜ͅ ̥̗͉͖̩̠̻͚̳̲̩̯̖̫̍ͪ̒̐͂̍ͧ̿̅̋ͦ ́́t̴̼̘̟̮̟̙͈̬̮̼̞͎̼̖ͬͨͨ̉̅ͦ̋ ͂̉̐ͮ̓̾̽͛ͫ̀̚h̶̴͇͖̹̻̘͌̒ͫ͊͆ͥ ͛̿͑̽̏̌͂̍̂̎̈́̚͜͡͡i̷̡̱̝̞̝͇̿ ͧ̐̇ͪ̈͐ͩ͞ͅs̷̤̦̲̥͈̼͆ͥ̎ͥ̒ͣ̆̋ ̂̇̓̑̈̅͆̇͢ ̡̞̝̰̣̑͑̎̿̉̉̀̇t̸̷̟̬̩͍̙̱̣̩̤ ̖̥̮̭̹͓̗̏ͫͬͯ͑ͤͭ͂̋̇̒̈ͧͪ̚ͅh̨ ̛ͣ̑͂͂̍̾̿ͮͦͨ͡͏̼̺̦̳̩̝͓̤̜͎̠̤ ̻͚͉ͅī̵̙̱̺̼̤̘̝͊͂͋ͤ͟͟͝n̎̓̌͛ ͣ̕͜͏̤̝̫̯̼̯̩̫̯̠̣̖̀̕ͅg̵͕͎̖̝ ̩̙̳̥͎͉͖͙͈̥̮̙͇̝̈̈́̋ͨ̄ͯ͌̽ͫ͐ ͒͑̒̚͝ͅ ̟̲̗̤͖̥̠͚̟̣͉͖̝̊̌̈́͊ͣ̚͘w̬̞͉ ̠͚̬̜͉͕ͪ̒̓̏̿̑̊̍̽́͢͜ơ͋̋̀̇ͭ ͌ͣ̾͂͒̄͆̿ͦ̚͏̸̱̟̖̣̠̼̺͙̻͍̗̱ ͍͕̣̟̕ͅŗ̸̸̟͔̠̗̦̺̜̙̒̎̓͋̚ķ̛ ͙̝̲͓͈̤͖̻̥̘̲͓̱̲͓ͮ́̌̎̾́͆̅ ̵̧̛̬̯͓̭͎̰͎̱̭̖͚͈͚͎͈̲̦ͨ͆̒̇͐ ̔̓ͥ̃͗̾̔̒́̃̄͌̓ͅw̷̡̪͓̝͖̤̼̬͕ ̗̟̩̤̉ͬ̂͐͐̌̅ͣ̿ͪȟ͊͗̌͐̈́̔͌ͧ ̉̌̇͋ͧͫ͌̂͢͡҉̝̟͍̙͓̗̪̰̣͈̭ą͖ ̩̠̱̗͎̱̯̫͚̭͈͈̟͍͍̭̇͊͆̄̾̌ͨ̍ ͩͤ̍ͥ͐ͫ͞ͅt̸̟̣͇̣̘̥͇̫̪̱̗̫̾̇́ ͦͣ͗͌̍͗̌̉̇͆͋̽ͨͦ̚͞ ̸̴̨͚̣͓̩͙̭͎͖͕̙͛̈́̐ͯͤͧ̋̉į̮̫ ̩̺̦̦̱̈́̇̑ͤ͋͐̈́ͥ͂̑͂̌ͯ͂ͫ̀͐ͯ ́ͅṡ̔͗͋̄ͧͩ͞͝҉͙̻̻͚͈̜̬̘͘ ̴̨̡̝̳̲̟̖̜̥̥̤̊͑͒ͪ̅͊͋̂ͧ̌͐̽ͪ ͦ͡͡ͅt͙̺͙͔͉͓̺̤ͧ̆̑̾̾ͨͣ̃͐ͬ͆͛ ̓̓̆̚̕͡h̶̻̰͖̦̖̝̺̤̩̘͎ͯ̒̇̍̊̚ ͟͢ȩ̡̞̖̙̘̜̳͕̎̇̒͂͆͜͢ ̶̻̜̼̣̟ͤ̇̋ͯ̈͑ͥͨ̓ͥͩ͌͋̊̒͌̐̀̚ ͡͝f͐̄̓̓̽ͯ͌ͪ̑̿̕҉̩̤͇͍͍͙͕̯͎̪ ̹͉͇͍͠͠ͅu̡̨̮̱̖̲̙̰̰̘̔ͭͨ̀͗͑͌ ̐ͣ͗͛͆̒̚t̸̄ͨ̓̿ͮ̃͟҉͙͇̳̩̘̪̠̭ ͅu̵͉̝̞̟̞̻͓̝̭̟̗̳͕̲͑͐ͭ̓ͮͮͯ̐ ̃̓̌ͨ͊͜r̷̞̜͔̫͕̙̘̰̮̀ͯ̃̀ͭͮ̓̚ ͡ͅẹ̴͉̻̿ͩͯ͑ͥ͒̌͑͠ ̢͒̑̚̚҉̶̻̫̙͙̜͎͎̖͚͈̝͕͓͚̱̫l̛ ͓̺͕̹͕͕͉̞̖̲ͫͬ̑͌̀̾̊͆ͩ̎ͥͫͨ͗ ͋̄́͜i̲̗̪̼̫̺̜̦̤͉̰̲͌ͮͭ̑̅͟k̸ ͍̞͚̮̦͇̪͙̹ͫͭ́̃͐̋͗̔ͧͨ͊ͥͯ̚͜ e̶͓̝̪̠̰̝̪͂ͨͦͩͤ̈́̈́̊̉ͬ̅̅͆̒ ̀͘͜͡
ͫ̿ͧ̓ͬͤ̿͏̸̢̟̥̰̹̣͘͝
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-08-09, 08:30

I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2018-08-13, 20:55

h E L L O
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2018-08-14, 15:26

Hello, the

Surely?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-08-15, 07:54

hunter2
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2018-08-23, 00:57

Interesting to me how we all have basically moved on... and it all happened around the same time.
murbot
Hoonigan

2018-08-23, 11:05

Hey bud, how many Pearl Jam live concert recordings are you up to now?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-01-01, 15:17

And today we welcome back Pscates!