Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Has my iBook's power adaptor gone bad?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Has my iBook's power adaptor gone bad?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-05-18, 11:31

Not as in Bonnie & Clyde bad, but as in non-functioning bad.

It still charges the iBook's battery, but the transformer block (that little square white thing with flip out cable wrap arms) gets incredibly hot and the LED up at the power-in port is always green. It's never amber when the battery's charge is low.

So, is this thing whacked or what?

I fully expect a reply seeing as this is the first regular post of operating hours (disregarding the ceremonial inaugural post by Matsu).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 12:21

I got your reply right here...am I correct? Who the heck knows.

Yes, your power adapter is bad. Get a new one or risk fire or killing your iBook.

And just for the record...I'm never wrong

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-05-18, 12:26

I forgot to mention that it's been doing this for a little over two years....
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-18, 13:30

i'd guess the little light bulb is being stupid. i've had that happen before. since green is in "standby" power type mode, it *might* be charging slower than if it were amber, but if your computer still charges up, and it works, i wouldn't worry too much. sometimes those bricks get pretty hot.

if you have apple care, i'd stop by an apple store and see what they say. if you don't, i wouldn't worry too much about it.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-18, 13:32

power adapters can be replaced on the spot at apple stores... so I would go in there and get it replaced...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-05-19, 00:11

Yes, they'll replace my 2+ year old power adaptor on the spot (for $$$). I'll bet they'd give me a new G5 tower on the spot too!

No, no, don't worry, I'm already smacking myself for being such a smartass....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
sobelizzard

2004-05-19, 08:56

my sister's 1 year old adaptor did the same thing... then the cord melted where it attaches to the brick, and then sparks and small flames started shooting out. i'm not kidding... a short in your power supply can cause serious fireworks. if i were you, i'd have someone look at it... just to make sure that its not going to burn your house down

you must be insane
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-05-19, 12:13

I noticed the other day that mine seems warmer than it used to - at both ends. It's a tough call, though. I haven't been monitoring the temperature of the power adapter for the last two years. It's certainly not too hot to touch.

Anyway, after noticing this (possible) heat increase, I carefully examined the adapter and I can see a tiny spider-web-like, brownish crack forming in the white plastic right near where the wall plug attaches to the brick half of the adapter (as opposed to the little plug that goes into the iBook). Anybody else seen this?

Ugh.
sobelizzard

2004-05-20, 12:46

thats where my sister's iBook adaptor MELTED through.... and then the ensuing sparks/flames/fireworks...Apple has replaced a couple adaptors for me, because of this "cracking/melting"... just tell them that your wire is shorting out and they'll replace it (if its under warranty)

you must be insane
EDS66

2004-05-22, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobelizzard
thats where my sister's iBook adaptor MELTED through.... and then the ensuing sparks/flames/fireworks...Apple has replaced a couple adaptors for me, because of this "cracking/melting"... just tell them that your wire is shorting out and they'll replace it (if its under warranty)
They might actually replace it even if it's not under warranty. Depends on who you talk to.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-05-22, 21:55

Under warranty or not, they'll usually exchange it at the Apple Store Genius Bar, since a faulty power adaptor can be a real safety hazard.

Hey, speaking of Genius Bar, I think that is where this thread belongs. Is there a mod around here somewhere?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-23, 00:24

Yeah, I was going to just let it be since it wasn't a very active topic, but this really does belong in Genius Bar.

*punt*