Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Kernel Panic, "System Failure" + "Corrupt stack"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kernel Panic, "System Failure" + "Corrupt stack"
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 13:14

OK, as briefly mentioned in another thread, my PowerBook just bombed, dumping me into kernel mode with ominous words like "System Failure" and an error code of 00000001 (corrupt stack) -- not sure how many zeroes were there, but there was a 1 at the end.

The last program I installed and ran was the Yahoo Widget Engine (aka Konfabulator 3.0). I'm running Path Finder 4 as a Finder replacement (another recent change) on a 15" Powerbook 1.67 (October 2005) with 1.5GB RAM and a 100GB HDD. The only program running (aside from PF4 and the YWE) was Safari.

Something interesting I noted on restart: when I clicked my username to login, the 'Restart' and 'Shut down' buttons were missing; I know I didn't do anything to remove them. Anyone have any idea just what the heck happened here?

Addendum: isn't there supposed to be a panic.log somewhere where that you can look at to troubleshoot things like this?
Blue Light Bandit

2006-01-16, 13:31

Running any haxies/themes/other system-modifying doodads?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-16, 13:42

Aside from Path Finder and Konfabulator3? Nope. I've made it a point not to install any haxies after reading so many negative opinions about them over the past few months.

I should also note that I'm running a relatively clean install of Tiger, seeing as I had to resort to reinstalling about a week ago after the PowerBook decided it didn't want to boot, and no amount of disk checking, permissions repairing, or AppleJack runs would fix it.