Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returns...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Elizabeth Edwards' cancer returns...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-03-22, 11:51

Lousy news for such a young woman. Her husband says he'll continue with his '08 campaign, but that's got to be a tough thing to do. His focus, naturally, isn't always going to be where it should (depending on what he's doing at the moment).

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/...008/index.html

It's in her rib...is that like a bone cancer or something? She had breast cancer in 2004, you'll remember.

And it's "treatable, but not curable", according to the above article. What does that mean exactly? It can be kept in check or "managed", but, at some point, it'll lead to her death?

I knew he was making some sort of announcement today, but I didn't think it would be bad news (cancer returned).

I just hate stories like this. So many family members, close and distant, have been touched by this disease. Bums me out to hear about in others.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-03-22, 12:02

Yeah, I was just reading about this.

There should be a rule about having to be over 80 before getting this dreaded evil.

Good luck to them; they seems to have the right attitude.

Live Strong.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-03-22, 12:06

There is a certain breast cancer that Maggie Daley (wife of Chicago's Mayor) and a friend of my wifes has that is this form, Maggie has been alive 6 years since first diagnosed. It used to be an instant death sentence, but no longer.

As for him continuing his campaign, he can't win, absolutely no way, not with that hair style anyway. He should stay close to home he's a young man, (Hell president Bush is a young man) plenty of time for those aspirations later.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-03-22, 13:58

Quote:
"Many patients with exactly the circumstances that she has do very well for a number of years. And the fact that she is a healthy person and that there isn't a lot of the cancer and that she doesn't have symptoms all work in her favor," Carey said after the Edwards' news conference.
That first line, that others do well "for a number of years" doesn't sound all that optimistic to me. More like, "well, at least you won't die right away." I don't know, I hope they are able to make more strides in finding ways to cure this. It's too bad that this had to happen again.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-03-22, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naderfan View Post
That first line, that others do well "for a number of years" doesn't sound all that optimistic to me. More like, "well, at least you won't die right away." I don't know, I hope they are able to make more strides in finding ways to cure this. It's too bad that this had to happen again.
It's like AIDS drugs they don't know how long they last because a good percentage that had this cancer with this treatment are still alive, it was a brand new experimental thing when the mayor's wife started treatment 6 years ago. They've learned to streamline the treatment as they've gone along, and as I understand she leads a relatively normal life.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-03-22, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
There should be a rule about having to be over 80 before getting this dreaded evil.
There should be a rule that cancer should be wiped off this godforskan planet.

But then, when 9/10 lung cancer patients are smoking, and smoking is still allowed, do the governments really care?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-03-23, 05:03

No but stoners do and we want to be able to keep smoking.

And I am not sure that 9/10 lung cancer patients are really smokers.
[They certainly shouldn't be if they have lung cancer anyway!! ]

Don't get me wrong, I am not a smoking appologist, or lobbyist, or whatever, I am just aware that smoking per. se. is not simply the problem. It's smoking the kind of 'tailor-made' cigarrettes with their chemical cocktail in them which are made by the huge conglomerates who care more about the cigarettes being able to burn away in a certain time and be able to set fire to furniture, rather than provide a proper product to their consumers.

I also think that increasing lung cancer and asthma statistics has a lot to do with the state of our air generally..

Certainly not rolling up a bit of weed, or *real* tobacco and puffing away a few times a day. That's no worse than crossing the road on the way to and from work these days...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-03-23, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer Research UK
Around 90% of lung cancer cases are caused by tobacco smoking and, in addition, the 2002 IARC Working Group concluded that tobacco smoking can also cause cancers of the following sites: upper aero-digestive tract (oral cavity, nasal cavity, nasal sinuses, pharynx, larynx and oesophagus), pancreas, stomach, liver, lower urinary tract (renal pelvis and bladder), kidney, uterine cervix and myeloid leukaemia.

Overall smoking is estimated to be responsible for approximately 30% of cancer deaths in developed countries, that is, over 46,000 deaths in 2002 in the UK. Visit the smoking page for more detailed smoking statistics.
That enough to get you to stop smoking? Do you have kids?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-03-23, 13:56

Not really.

I am not denying that smoking causes cancer, and I loathe the big tobacco companies, but I have yet to see any real evidence to convince me that the figures are anything for me to worry about.

I don't smoke cigarettes anyway, and I really feel that people are either prone to this kind of thing or not. Thankfully my family history is good, and my health is always top notch. I know that may seem shortsighted, but then there are so many other things that may kill me, like global warming, a metorite strike, a drunk driver, my own stupidity etc. etc. that cigarettes don't really cause me that much concern...

By the time it is an issue for me I'll have had a long action packed life to look back on.

Besides I enjoy smoking!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt