AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Diablo III Coming to Mac...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Diablo III Coming to Mac...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-06-30, 13:51

...holy crap. This looks so much sweeter than the old versions.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Meantime watch the trailer and you might have the same reaction I did: I liked it better the first time when it was called "Lord of the Rings".

...into the light of a dark black night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-06-30, 13:54

well, as an FYI you don't need to say "coming to Mac" for any Blizzard games.

They're all cross platform from the get-go, as Blizzard used to be a big Mac gaming shop before realizing you could actually make money selling games if you sold them to Windows users.

Thankfully the still develop everything for both platforms.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-06-30, 14:06

Valid point, sir. I sit corrected.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2008-06-30, 14:20

But yeah, I'm also downloading the stuff right now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-06-30, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
well, as an FYI you don't need to say "coming to Mac" for any Blizzard games.

They're all cross platform from the get-go, as Blizzard used to be a big Mac gaming shop before realizing you could actually make money selling games if you sold them to Windows users.

Thankfully the still develop everything for both platforms.

Diablo II was the first that was released on both platforms at the same time. I vividly remember waiting a very painful year for StarCraft.

WarCraft II, Diablo and StarCraft made the Mac users wait Admittedly, this was during our darkest hour, when it was very possible Apple would die completely.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2008-06-30, 16:20

Really? Man, I could have sworn I got Diablo on a single disk, and SC too. Guess not.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-06-30, 16:51

Sweet, sweet mindless group grinding... Thanks for the heads up
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-06-30, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Really? Man, I could have sworn I got Diablo on a single disk, and SC too. Guess not.
These days you do. Not sure about when it first came out.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-30, 17:31

BTW, if any of you are looking for a dungeon crawler like Diablo II but don't want to get sucked back in to that game, I've heard Titan Quest is good. Of course, it's not a UB so you have to use Boot Camp to play it. I might just pick it up.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2008-06-30, 17:38

Oooh, I might get that when it comes out...

Not like that'll be until spring '09 summer '09 fall '09.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-06-30, 18:32

Diablo 2 was crack. I think I broke two hockey puck mice playing that game. The surprising thing was how addictive a game centered around clicking could be. It really was kind of a 'dumb' game, it didn't really ask very much from you, the challenges were fairly linear, not requiring you to understand very much more than click = kill.

But to be fair, the Diablo 2 setting, storyline and, most importantly feel was unparalleled and kept me completely engaged from start to finish, and then start to finish again with the expansion. If my track pad clicker wasn't acting a little funny already, I would be tempted to go dig out my install discs and play around with it for a while, but I don't want to break it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-30, 18:35

How can you play Diablo II with a hockey puck? I can't imagine playing it without at least a two button mouse, preferably with a scroll wheel.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-06-30, 18:55

I never said I was very good at D2, just that, for about 3 or 4 months, I played it more than I breathed.
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-30, 19:28

I guess the hack'n'slash + RPG mash-up genre doesn't really do anything for me, because D3 looks as boring to me as the older titles. Blizzard needs to get off its ass and make new games, not sequels.

...Still waiting for a modern RTS that doesn't involve collecting resources and building massive armies to zerg with. Bungie needs to resurrect Myth.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-06-30, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
...Still waiting for a modern RTS that doesn't involve collecting resources and building massive armies to zerg with. Bungie needs to resurrect Myth.
Supreme Commander didn't do it for ya?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-30, 19:58

Quote:
I guess the hack'n'slash + RPG mash-up genre doesn't really do anything for me, because D3 looks as boring to me as the older titles. Blizzard needs to get off its ass and make new games, not sequels.

Heard of Company of Heroes? It's sort of halfway to what you describe... it does involve resources and building, but the gathering of resources is automatic and a function of how much territory you control.

I tried the demo but I found it to be way, way too complex for me. There's SO much stuff you can do. What I'd like to see is basically what you describe - a resurrection of Myth. Not just the playing style, which was great (tactical rather than strategic), but the art style as well. I loved how dark and gory it was, but at the same time it had a lot of personality and even humor in the narration.

Basically, I hate RTSs because they're way too complicated. Myth is perfect because it doesn't involve simply memorizing a series of hotkey presses in order to advance faster than the other guy.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2008-06-30, 20:38

One more nail in the coffin of my expense account for a new Mac, but not until Starcraft comes out.

At least now I'm out of the grad school pay scale and making the big boy bucks...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-06-30, 21:22

Quote:
Ground Control Isn't involving any ressource. It is just based on control points. You can call backup with them. It's all about squad formation and taking advantage of the map (shadows, hill, forest, building, ... ) It's a good little game. It was kind of unique back in 2000 (GC 1). Ground Control 2 came out in 2004.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-06-30, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Heard of Company of Heroes? It's sort of halfway to what you describe... it does involve resources and building, but the gathering of resources is automatic and a function of how much territory you control.

I tried the demo but I found it to be way, way too complex for me. There's SO much stuff you can do. What I'd like to see is basically what you describe - a resurrection of Myth. Not just the playing style, which was great (tactical rather than strategic), but the art style as well. I loved how dark and gory it was, but at the same time it had a lot of personality and even humor in the narration.

Basically, I hate RTSs because they're way too complicated. Myth is perfect because it doesn't involve simply memorizing a series of hotkey presses in order to advance faster than the other guy.
Complicated game ≠ high motor skill requirement.

Seriously, any classic RTSs I have played (C&C, Starcraft, ...) are not super complicated or hard to grasp inherently. They do a very good job of exposing the game logic, to boot. It's just that the pace of the game is so fast, you have to be decent with your controls, have a relatively solid build and know how to counter basic rushes and strats. Only then you reach the midgame where you can start pulling off winning moves that do not hinge on mouse/keyboard magic. Even then, naturally, you have to be spamming your construction lest you fall too far behind.

Everything points to SC2 being decently relaxed on the control front. I'm glad for that.

I tried the CoH demo too, just a few days ago. In the two SP missions, it was quite chaotic, which I found mostly fun and appropriate for the chaotic situations in the missions. But!
For one, camera angle was way too close, felt claustrophobic on a 1920x1200 screen with a ridiculously large menu, and things sort of disappeared into/behind the buildings. Unit icons were too small. Most of all, the workings of the game system were hard to follow. Given how much time it takes for the MG's, AT guns and mortars to set up, it was quite frustrating that you could not see the field of fire or maximum range from the position you are about to order. And, it's hard to figure out how effective something is going to be, like mortar vs riflemen in building, mines vs tank, engineers vs halftrack, and so on. I played the missions twice and still basically have no idea.
It felt frustrating that a full squad of men on defense were basically incapable of defending more than one direction... but that's just projecting IRL knowledge onto a game. I blame the game for looking so good, you start to expect a degree of realism.
Just from the look and feel of the engine, it's sad that they didn't leave resources out of it, Myth-style. Then, add to the cover system, emphasize morale, and make artillery several notches more realistic. It would have been fun to really play company commander and not a resource manager.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-06-30, 21:50

Quote:
Yep, that would be World In Conflict. Also, you're referencing a subset of the RTS genre called Real Time Tactics, or RTT.

I 100% agree - the world needs more RTTs. Halo Wars would have been the PERFECT candidate for an RTT. I have high hopes for Halo Wars, but low expectations. But as an RTT it would've been epic.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-06-30, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Just from the look and feel of the engine, it's sad that they didn't leave resources out of it, Myth-style. Then, add to the cover system, emphasize morale, and make artillery several notches more realistic. It would have been fun to really play company commander and not a resource manager.
Actually, you basically just described the old Close Combat series of games. The only resources you got were "requisition points" based on how well you control your supply chain and drop zones. So you pick which units get sent to which battlefield, but the game itself just gives you a certain number of men in an area and you have to use battlefield tactics to win. Your guys even have limited ammunition. It also has cover and morale, though they're crude implementations. After all, it's an old game.

A brand new Close Combat game would be the shiznit. I'll have to try World In Conflict as you suggest.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-06-30, 22:19

Yeah World in Conflict looks great ! I'll give it a shot too !

Anyone noticed WIC is from Massive Entertainement, the studio behind Ground Control? ... The games I suggested

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-30, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post

Everything points to SC2 being decently relaxed on the control front. I'm glad for that.
SC2 will be simple to control, but it won't be relaxed. SC tourneys, APM, Tasteless going crazy while announcing and all that.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-06-30, 23:56

Quote:
SC2 will be simple to control, but it won't be relaxed. SC tourneys, APM, Tasteless going crazy while announcing and all that.
What I'm thinking specifically is that the APM needed to play well will be at least a little bit lower, thanks to the control changes. Should remove at least some unnecessary barrier to entry.

I hope they don't water down the micro, because it was fun in SC even for skill-less folks like me. The changes they're doing in gathering unit management, unit construction and selection sound pretty harmless for trimming APM fat.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-07-01, 11:22

I love Starcraft and SC2 will be awesome, but Diablo 3... good gravy. I nearly peed. It's not just up my alley, it's the rainbow at the end of my alley, complete with a pot full of delicious skittles. I cannot wait for D3.

Maybe somebody knows about this too - I tried to play D2 and it didn't work, the app just quit. I read somewhere that it has something to do with either newer Intel Macs or newer versions of 10.5 not being able to display 256 color mode or something - does anybody know anything about this? I'm jonesing for some Diablo now.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2008-07-01, 11:34

Check on blizzard's site for D2 patches. I know they have been pretty good about patching old software to keep running on new hardware.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-07-01, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Yeah World in Conflict looks great ! I'll give it a shot too !

Anyone noticed WIC is from Massive Entertainement, the studio behind Ground Control? ... The games I suggested
Yep, WiC is the spiritual successor to ground control.
rampancy

2008-07-01, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I love Starcraft and SC2 will be awesome, but Diablo 3... good gravy. I nearly peed. It's not just up my alley, it's the rainbow at the end of my alley, complete with a pot full of delicious skittles. I cannot wait for D3.

Maybe somebody knows about this too - I tried to play D2 and it didn't work, the app just quit. I read somewhere that it has something to do with either newer Intel Macs or newer versions of 10.5 not being able to display 256 color mode or something - does anybody know anything about this? I'm jonesing for some Diablo now.
Blizzard just released the 1.12 patch which resolved a graphical issue that could only be resolved by turning off OpenGL rendering (I think it was an issue with it running under thousands of colors). Oh yeah, and it also allows you to play the game without the CD.

To my knowledge there is an issue with 10.5 and 256 color mode which causes problems with Starcraft.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-02, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
Blizzard just released the 1.12 patch which resolved a graphical issue that could only be resolved by turning off OpenGL rendering (I think it was an issue with it running under thousands of colors). Oh yeah, and it also allows you to play the game without the CD.

To my knowledge there is an issue with 10.5 and 256 color mode which causes problems with Starcraft.
Awesome! Sounds like it's time to dust on my Diablo II disc again. If I can run it without the disc in my MacBook that will kick total buttocks.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-07-02, 10:01

Who agrees with me (and whoever made this picture) on the art style? I for one am tired of the cartoony soft-filtered look of Warcraft 3/WoW and I think Diablo III should go back to its roots for a darker, more realistic look. Otherwise what is it besides what basically appears to be a War3 mod?

The good thing is that it's still a long ways off, so Blizzard has plenty of time to change things around. They don't have to change the entire artistic style. Hopefully if enough people get behind it bitch about it on the internet, they might change things a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diablo3.JPG (302.9 KB, 22 views)