User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Remember the Giant Leap?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Do you remember our Giant Lunar Leap?
Yes, I watched/listened. 4 11.11%
No, busy doing something else. 2 5.56%
Not alive then, but I would have. 25 69.44%
Not alive then, would have been busy doing something else. 3 8.33%
We went to the moon??? 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Remember the Giant Leap?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-07-20, 19:42

I was sitting on my Dad's lap watching our tiny Trinitron with bunny ears.

I can recall the excitement and the funny fuzzy Moon men.

Where were you?

Space.com has collected a nice 35th anniversary of Apollo page with video

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2004-07-20 at 19:49.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-07-20, 19:51

Wasn't born yet. Wish I could have been around then. I'm not convinced anyone is going back to the moon in my lifetime.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Alpha9

Send a message via AIM to Alpha9  
2004-07-20, 19:52

Wasn't even thought of at the time, but if I were born to witness it, I would have remembered.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-07-20, 19:57

I was there! Well not on the moon, but in our living room, watching on our old black-and-white tv. I felt I was there.

Later - maybe a few days later - while they were still on the moon, my Dad took out his old telescope and we looked at the lunar surface. I absolutely believed that I saw the lunar lander on the surface. I was five years old.

BTW, I love the commemorative front page from HOM. It's great to go back into the archives like that.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-20, 21:09

Nope, not born. Too bad. I'm still waiting for the day some intrepid astronaut announces that they are going to get in a spaceship and go straight until they find something really bitchin'. I just can't get excited about rovers and satellites and probes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-20, 21:34

I was only six months old, but I remember it like it was 35 years ago. Good stuff. Go NASA!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-07-20, 22:09

i remember being in the pool at Lake Lawn, in galesburg illinois and the lifeguards broke in on Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move" to say that the eagle had landed.
and the whole family stayed up to to watch the walk. the whole world watched.

which reminds me, my father never let me miss something that was important to see. if it was something he thought was important he made me watch. the '68 democratic convention comes to mind, i remember watching it with him and i could tell he was changing his mind about the way he felt about america and the war. maybe these kids weren't wrong, if they were willing to get the crap kicked out of them.......the whole world was watching.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-07-20, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM

Wasn't born yet. Wish I could have been around then. I'm not convinced anyone is going back to the moon in my lifetime.

If you love that gem from The Onion (as I do), you might enjoy the video version
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-07-21, 08:55

I was a whole 11 months old then. I'm sure that I watched some of it with my father, but anyone out there with kids knows that an 11 month old is more interested in sleeping/eating/pooping than anything else.
PXLpainter

2004-07-27, 02:02

I remember it well (that's how freaking old I am!)
Watched it on our Philco B&W set... (was always pissed that our neighbors had color but that's for another thread!)

BTW - that Onion link was hilarious!

Life is hard... wear a cup.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-27, 08:58

This thread suddenly sparked a memory of a TV show called "Salvage I", where Andy Griffith(!) played a junk dealer who built a rocket (pretty much in his backyard workshop), actually FLEW it to the moon to salvage the stuff left behind by the Apollo landings.

I even remember the tagline that was voiced during the credits (this show's version of "don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...") and it was Griffith, is best downhome, friendly lilt: "Ah'm gonna build me a spaceship, fly it to the moon and salvage all that junk that's up there!".

I shit you not. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember this silly show. Anyone else?

Hands down, the most far-fetched, wild-ass plot for a show in the history of television...well, next to "Diff'rent Strokes", of course.

However, it wasn't so far-fetched and wild-ass that it didn't keep my best friend, Roger, and myself from seriously considering a similar path. We filled a sketch book with oh-so-serious doodles of our "designs", and we even got our Moms to take us to the Huntsville Space Center, so we could investigate things further.

Two 11-year-olds or whatever, and we spent an entire summer going "you know, we might not make it to the moon...but I bet we'd get several miles. That alone would be something!"

We designed suits and the whole bit. We were what you might call "idiots".

So...we had THAT going for ourselves. Hey, if you can't have lofty goals with your best buddy, what's the point of life?

Of course, we never considered "what next" after we reached those "few miles". Come crashing down into a fatal, explosive heap? Hey, we were 11...death and dismemberment never factors in.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-27, 09:07

Oh, I LOVE Google...

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver.../salvage1.html

http://www.jumptheshark.com/s/salvagei.htm (hilarious commentary)
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
If you love that gem from The Onion (as I do), you might enjoy the video version
I've literally got tears in my eyes after watching that. Funny crap right there.

And I was not yet alive when we landed on the moon. But you can bet I woulda been parked in front of the TV/radio all geeked out with excitement.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
DUDE! Dear god, I thought I was the only one that remembered that show! I remember being so *damned* impressed with his explanation of how they were going to get there without a massive rocket, using a Corvette as the demo vehicle. Probably the first physics lesson that really stuck in my head.

Re: Moon Walk. You know, I was gonna, but it was really hard to get a clear view through the uterine wall, and there was lint blocking the navel port.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-07-28, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
DUDE! Dear god, I thought I was the only one that remembered that show! I remember being so *damned* impressed with his explanation of how they were going to get there without a massive rocket, using a Corvette as the demo vehicle. Probably the first physics lesson that really stuck in my head.
One of my favorite shows as a kid. Of course, I was into astronomy at the time, so...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-28, 01:42

But do you remember Ark II?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-28, 09:07

Saturday mornings, right? That white, long vehicle? It seems vaguely familiar. Part of that Kroft stuff? A white bus/train vehicle, traveling around. A guy and a girl and maybe a kid? Is that it? Am I close?

I remember after 1977 (the year of "Star Wars"), SO much sci-fi stuff came out: movies, TV shows, Saturday morning, etc. Not sure if Ark II was pre- or post-Star Wars, but I think I remember it, vaguely.

I remember crap like "Space Academy".

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-07-28, 09:15

Ooooh, even better, Jason of Star Command!

Yeah, Ark II was a post-apocalyptic series with a group of scientists going around in a souped RV from hell trying to seed science and civilization back among the remnants of ours.

The fundies *HATED* it, not only for the Ark reference, but they also had a talking sentient chimp named Adam. And the fact that science was *all* they seeded... religion was nowhere to be seen. W00t! You can find more than you ever wanted to know here
Bones3D

2004-07-28, 12:30

Yeah, I saw the movie too.

Fangorn

2004-07-28, 17:10

I was too busy drinking my bottle or maybe just sucking my thumb.

Really need another selection for those us alive, but just plain to little to remember anything.

But I have seen it in "re-runs." Does that count?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-07-29, 00:02

holy crap....Salvage I, Ark II....do you guys sit around just talking about weird space-based television shows, like a sitcom about garbagemen in space?

For quarkness sake.