User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

VNC and Chicken of the VNC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
VNC and Chicken of the VNC
sp00ky_electric

2007-01-03, 06:24

Can anyone help me to set up a Mac to control a Windows machine, using VNC / Chicken of the VNC?

Both computers are on a wireless network, therefore they have been given I.P addresses by the wireless router.

Any help would be much appreciated.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2007-01-03, 08:02

Hello,

Just thought I would pre-warn you there are lots of threads on this subject, a quick search has come up with this thread...

If it is purley to control a Windows PC from a Mac, use Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for the Mac. You can download it from Microsoft's Mac Website.

You don't need to use VNC or Chicken of the VNC to control a Windows PC if using the above.

If you want to use VNC instead of RPD, on the Windows PC you can goto Real VNC's website and download the free version. You can have the server (which is in the free version) installed on the PC and then use Chicken of the VNC (client) to connect to the Real VNC (server)...

The ports used is 5900 for VNC, although you can change this if required...

Hope this helps, but have a search - all the answers are in here somewhere!
irnchriz

2007-01-07, 09:15

I use both chicken of the vnc and remote desktop client, each has their advantages. chicken of the vnc is good for assisting someone with a PC problem as you can both view the screen and interact with is, remote desktop is good if you want total control and wish to share drives/printers etc with the remote host.

The main problems you run up against are with the windows firewall, as long as you have remote desktop and realvnc (or whatever vnc client) added to the firewall exceptions list then you should be ok.