User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Chicken of VNC can't do file transfer, what's my options ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chicken of VNC can't do file transfer, what's my options ?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-07-21, 20:19

Hi !
So I did the setup of all the the thing with a dns and all. Everythings work fine except that I can't transfer file from one computer to the other. I tried to transfer file with Adium but it says "not connected" or something like that.

So what's my option here ? How could I acces all my file ? I'm just searching for some directions.

Since we're here... It's kind of slow with my 1680x1050. When I resize the resolution (in the prefpane, on the the vnc server) it get much faster. Is there any free or cheap client that can do this (without going in prefpane) ? I saw a couple of 'not free client' but I'll certainly not pay 100$ for this...

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2007-07-21, 22:30

What kind of set up do you have?

If the computers are on the same network then the easiest options are Personal File Sharing and Windows Sharing (both found in the Sharing preference panel).
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-07-21, 22:35

Sometimes I am but most of the time I'm just away from home. So it has to work with that thing they call "interne net"
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2007-07-21, 22:38

file transfers can be done via ftp. as for the speed issue, this is the major drawback of VNC vs most windows remote management software. I get spoiled at work, we use radmin on our helpdesk.

radmin over a dialup connection is as fast as VNC is over broadband, to give you a comparison. I really havent looked too much into how to speed it up tho.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-07-21, 22:49

I forgot to check for the FTP option in the sharing prefpane... almost too easy. Thx for the FTP tips !

One question about it. If I connect to my FTP, it shows me the files that are in my account. But let say the computer is logged in my wife account. Am I doomed or what ? (I can switch via VNC but it is so slow... )

AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2007-07-21, 22:53

If you want to access your computer from outside your home you'll need some way to know the IP address of your home computer.

DynDNS.com is a popular (and free) service that will keep a domain name updated with your home computer's current IP address. You run their client on the computer you want to access and the client informs their servers when your IP address changes.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-07-22, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post
If you want to access your computer from outside your home you'll need some way to know the IP address of your home computer.

DynDNS.com is a popular (and free) service that will keep a domain name updated with your home computer's current IP address. You run their client on the computer you want to access and the client informs their servers when your IP address changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Hi !
So I did the setup of all the the thing with a dns and all.
Already did this my friend but thx anyway...

Now I really just need a way to get out of my account folder to access all in the files on the computer... In case my wife is logged and I need acces to my files.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-07-22, 00:13

What a dumbass... I typed my password to connect, if I type her password, I'm in her account. What a noob.