Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

What Slows down a computer the most

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What Slows down a computer the most
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-06, 14:26

When I first got my Powerbook, it was *fast*, everything about it was totally snappy, and it was awesome. But, as with every computer I've used, after times, things start to get bogged down, and today, my powerbook, while still very snappy, is quite as fast as it used to be.

So what is it that slows things down? I was thinking it was a combination of the hard drive, the RAM, and caching, but I don't know really WHY it would be those things, they just seemed to make sense.

or does your computer not really slow down at all, and it's all a perception based thing?
stoo

2004-08-06, 14:54

Clear the application caches? (Why/how do they get to needing cleared in the first place? )
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-06, 14:55

Yeah, after a clean install, it's fast again! Heck, even using a different account you might notice a speed difference.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 17:27

Yeah, just what ast3r3x said. A clean install will fix up any problems you might have. Once it starts to slow down, backup and clean install and it'll be like brand new again

Come waste your time with me
noleli2

2004-08-06, 17:57

Aren't there utilities to clean some of that gunk up? I think one is called Cocktail, but it's been a while. And I think there are others, too.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 18:30

Here is a great link with some maintenance stuff you can do. But if you're really noticing that much of a lag, update prebinding, or just do a clean install. You'll be really surprised at how much faster things are.

Come waste your time with me
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-06, 18:44

yeah, I know that clean install will speed up a computer, that's not my question though. What exactly happens over the course of general computer use that causes it to slow down in the first place.

edit: after reading through DM's link, I'm still left wonder a bit. So basically most of the typical slow down is caused by inferior application installers that don't play nice with the rest of the computer?

Last edited by Wrao : 2004-08-06 at 19:07.
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 18:52

Where is Brad when you need him?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-06, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Where is Brad when you need him?
Funny you say this.

I had started typing up a response, but then I saw that DMB's link covers exactly my points.

Basically, don't waste your money on Cocktail when there are free utilities both from Apple and third parties that'll "clean up" just the same.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-08-06, 20:06

I actually wish Apple would have a "reinstall OS" option that would restore only apple software. (not the archive/install option) I would love to erase/reinstall the OS but it would take too much time to reinstall my apps too. Not that I have any problems now, but when I did, I would have used it. I know it is like a necessary evil, but I don't know what apps installed things into the system and which didn't.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
I actually wish Apple would have a "reinstall OS" option that would restore only apple software.
You mean like the Software Restore CD that came with your computer?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 20:31

I use MacJanitor . Its from the same guy who brought us Brickhouse. Its free, and seems to work.

Which reminds me...

Last edited by Ryan : 2004-08-06 at 20:31. Reason: added something
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2004-08-06, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
You mean like the Software Restore CD that came with your computer?
Maybe that wasn't clear. What I asked for is a little different. But I have a very, very annoying cat on my lap who is pestering me in every way a cat possibly can, and I wanted to finish my post quickly. You still have to reinstall your apps that added stuff to your system folder if you choose restore. That is what I want to avoid.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-06, 20:59

Er... so what you want is a fresh OS, with zero Apple supplied apps, since those may add things to /System/Library?

Hmmm.

I guess your wanting to have it install 'only Apple software' had me confused.
ast3r3x

2004-08-06, 21:20

I ran daily, weekly, and monthly tasks. Updated pre-binding. Repaired Permissions. Updated pre-binding. Deleted Caches. Restarted and ran fsck. And now I'm here. It does seem a bit faster. There were 21 things I couldn't update pre-binding for. Maybe I'll try it again next time in single user mode, incase there were dependancies or something of something running...although that doesn't make much sense to me if I understand pre-binding, which I don't really.

Kick, explain that to me.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-06, 22:04

Some of the things you couldn't update pre-binding for might have been because it was the active startup volume. Same thing used to limit repair under prior OS's. Boot from CD or another FW device and run the utilities on the non-boot volume 'remotely'.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-06, 22:12

I went hunting and cleaning one day (primarily to reclaim drivespace, but also as housekeeping) and discovered I'd added dozens of screensavers and found crap in the library from demos I'd deleted long ago. At one point after rebooting into OS 9, I discovered another load of leftovers that had .filenames or .foldernames which were invisible in OS X.

If your drive is nearly full it might account for performance slowdown. Figures vary by drive capacity, but IIRC, if you have less than 15% or <800MB free space, virtual memory will sometimes fail to dynamically clear built up cache from apps, eventually slowing down the machine as it pages and swaps itself into a low disk space warning.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2004-08-07, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Er... so what you want is a fresh OS, with zero Apple supplied apps, since those may add things to /System/Library?

Hmmm.

I guess your wanting to have it install 'only Apple software' had me confused.
No, no. That's not it at all. Is it just me? I had a problem months ago where the finder would crash over and over and would never fully load. I would have liked to reinstall the operating system, keeping all non-apple plugins in their place. Right now, your options are to erase the entire system and install another, or to archive the system and install a new one. The problem with the archive is that you can't drag & drop files that non-apple programs create in the system folder because you can't find them all. Reinstalling all my applications takes the better part, it not a full day (for me anyways). What I would like is an option to overwrite files in the current system folder with new copies, but keep all third party extensions, preferences, and junk where it is.

Third ones a charm. Sorry to hijack the thread.

SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-08-07, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Some of the things you couldn't update pre-binding for might have been because it was the active startup volume. Same thing used to limit repair under prior OS's. Boot from CD or another FW device and run the utilities on the non-boot volume 'remotely'.
Actually I am pretty sure you can ONLY prebind things that are on your startup drive.