User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

MWSF webcast? Stream to Apple Stores? (merged)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MWSF webcast? Stream to Apple Stores? (merged)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-06, 13:19

I've never been near a broadband modem during a Stevenote before, but maybe I won't have to if I can pop in at the Regent Street store on my way home from Uni next Tuesday. Does Apple relay Stevenotes to its bigger stores and play them on a big screen or anything? Or is that just a bit too geeky?

bouncy bouncy
¡Damned!

2005-01-06, 17:18

MacInTouch is reporting that the keynote will NOT be webcast!

WTF?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 17:24

In a weird, twisted sort of way, this doesn't bother me. Why? Because I'll be at work and it will be a total struggle to actually follow/pay attention. Usually it's really mellow and quiet and I can do things like this, but, with my luck, on Tuesday we'd have some big spur-of-the-moment "gotta have it TODAY!" project, with phone meetings, a trip to the printer, etc.

I'll keep a text feed browser open and then just visit Apple's site afterwards. And, from the comfort of home in cozy clothes and an icy adult beverage, I'll watch the replay that evening.

No problem.

Hell, it's so big and hyped, most of us would never get on anyway, I'm betting. I always have bad luck at that.
¡Damned!

2005-01-06, 17:31

Yeah, but I really like Steve's quirks and little unscripted remarks.

"I don't know what it does, it predicts branches"

"This is what we do"

Stuff like that makes me smile.

So it goes.
Akumulator

2005-01-06, 17:38

So about what time (Eastern) do you think the apple site will be updated?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Yeah, but I really like Steve's quirks and little unscripted remarks.
Of course, but they'll all be on the replay.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-06, 17:40

I don't care. I will know what the new products will be after it. Then I'll watch the webcast when it is released. Just like last time.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-06, 17:44

Mac news site www.macintouch.com is saying that they have received an email from someone that claims to know that Apple will not be offering a sattelite or live Quicktime broadcast of the MWSF keynote. However, upon reading that I called up the Apple Store in McLean Virginia to ask if they would be showing the Keynote within the store. The man told me that he did not have confirmation of anything yet, and while he's been checking the internal website for information on it, he says he probably won't find out until this weekend.

I guess if this happens I'll be bummed, but I could always do the text-update thing from themacobserver.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 18:44

Right on schedule...
This rumor always surfaces. Sometimes its true, sometimes not.

Personally, I hope that we get a live stream followed by an h264 loop with a newly released QT plugin.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-01-06, 18:47

Have you not been to Regent Street yet?!?! Christ, I live in Liverpool and I was there on opening day! :P

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/regen...t/theatre.html

Those seats are quite comfy, but you best give them a ring - if it is being shown it might be busy.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-06, 19:01

Mac news site www.macintouch.com is saying that they have received an email from someone that claims to know that Apple will not be offering a sattelite or live Quicktime broadcast of the MWSF keynote. However, upon reading that I called up the Apple Store in McLean Virginia to ask if they would be showing the Keynote within the store. The man told me that he did not have confirmation of anything yet, and while he's been checking the internal website for information on it, he says he probably won't find out until this weekend.

I guess if this happens I'll be bummed, but I could always do the text-update thing from themacobserver.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Gargoyle

2005-01-06, 19:31

Yeah I read it... some other rumour site got an email from some guys, girlfriends, aunt Soozies dog, that the stream will not be shown. You then further make this first bit of info sound even less credible by saying that a Direct Apple employee does not have a confirmed answer...

You could have just said "I called a local Apple store and they dont have a confirmed answer. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see." Instead of the brain dead copy and paste action!

You on pay per click commision from macintouch?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-06, 23:17

I'd love to actually, erm, SEE the event live via satellite. Watching text update on a web page just doesn't cut it.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-01-06, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
Right on schedule...
This rumor always surfaces. Sometimes its true, sometimes not.

Personally, I hope that we get a live stream followed by an h264 loop with a newly released QT plugin.
Thought that was a tiger only thing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-06, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Thought that was a tiger only thing.
QuickTime 6.5 works on both Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3. I would expect QuickTime 6.6 (the version in Tiger) to work at least in 10.3.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Akumulator

2005-01-06, 23:53

So I guess the question now is... what does this usually mean?

What has happened in past expos where there was no webcast? Where they usually some of the more low key shows with only minor speed bumps? I can't remember...

Are any of the rumored products coming out? Only one maybe?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 23:54

I hope we now before Tuesday, I'm not skipping work just for text updates. Is this Steve's way of punishing us for the rumours? Damn you Steve Jobs! DAMN YOU!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-07, 00:48

For some events I can understand the lack of a steaming option, but not for a Macworld event. That's just stupid IMO. It's an opportunity to get all kinds of extra users and potential users to listen in and be a part of the whole Apple feel-good thing.

It's almost like they're punishing people for not paying an arm and a leg to attend. Weak. Didn't they skip one of the Macworld's last year? And I think the WWDC the year before was not streamed either.

...into the light of a dark black night.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-07, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
For some events I can understand the lack of a steaming option, but not for a Macworld event. That's just stupid IMO. It's an opportunity to get all kinds of extra users and potential users to listen in and be a part of the whole Apple feel-good thing.

It's almost like they're punishing people for not paying an arm and a leg to attend. Weak. Didn't they skip one of the Macworld's last year? And I think the WWDC the year before was not streamed either.
Some of us live outside the US and already pay a premium for our products!!
I for one use money that I would use on a trip to the US to buys things so I think it's ok the stop people in the US seeing it, (What do you mean you can't attend!! It's just next door!!) they should stream it to everywhere else in the World!!

I would guess that if it is broadcast we can expect more cool stuff.. If it isn't then a lot of the stuff we have speculated about will be no shows.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Didn't they skip one of the Macworld's last year? And I think the WWDC the year before was not streamed either.
Apple had announced well over a year ago that they would not be attending MacWorld Boston. The last summer MacWorld Apple attended was in New York in 2003.

WWDC has almost never been streamed live, which is understandable since it's targeted at developers and not the general public.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
So I guess the question now is... what does this usually mean?

What has happened in past expos where there was no webcast? Where they usually some of the more low key shows with only minor speed bumps? I can't remember...

Are any of the rumored products coming out? Only one maybe?
The Paris Expo was not streamed, the new iMac was released at that show by Phil Schiller, in Steve's absence.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 01:06

Uhh..did any of this years CES keynotes have live streams?

I would like to see it live, like I saw Nintendo's keynot at E3 last year, but it's cool, I'll just go to the front page and see what's on there just like I did with the iMac G5...
flail

2005-01-07, 01:07

Where will i be able to see text updates from the expo?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-07, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail
Where will i be able to see text updates from the expo?
Probably from www.macrumors.com, www.themacobserver.com, and maybe www.thinksecret.com, also....try www.macminute.com
Gargoyle

2005-01-07, 04:29

Do we know anyone that is going? We could do our own text updates!
Gargoyle

2005-01-07, 04:38

Hehe. Group Hug!!!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 07:52

After reading this :

"You know, there has been this concern in some previous years too and every year there has ended up being a live webcast. I suppose its possible, but I seriously doubt it. During almost every keynote, Jobs starts out with, "Welcome to MacWorld, we have XX thousand people attending, and another XXX thousand people watching this keynote throughout the world on the web."

I'm not too worried...
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-07, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
"Welcome to MacWorld, we have XX thousand people attending, and another XXX thousand people watching this keynote throughout the world on the web."

I'm not too worried...
That doesn't mean they are watching live. I think he's only referring to the people watching the keynote via the delayed stream, hours later.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-07, 08:15

our university will have the sat. feed coming down the pipe. i think this is only the second time it's been offered. last time was when they had some big crap to announce as well, iirc.

maybe i'll bother attending.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-07, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Do we know anyone that is going? We could do our own text updates!
Can I go and do that for everyone...

"OMFG!! It's an iTablet..."

"OMFG!! A holographic iPhone with laser directional surround sound"

"WOW! An iMac in a matchbox with a flip out lightweight 1mm thin 65" 3D display"

"Steve say's 'Oh and time for one more thing..."

"You'll never believe it... Free copies of Tiger for all atendies with a 25% discount on any of the new kit"

Perhaps I can't be trusted...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt