User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Rush talking up Macs, OS X, Safari, Firefox, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rush talking up Macs, OS X, Safari, Firefox, etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-07, 13:11

Not a political/bitch about Rush thread at all, okay?

But was just listening via the Internet and some lady calls up to complain about pop-ups at some site (not quite sure she called Rush Limbaugh on this...isn't that a Kim Komando question?).

Anyway, Rush asks here "what operating system are you running?"

"Operating system? Uh..."

"Well, do you use a Mac or Windows?"

"Oh...Windows!"

"Well, there's your problem."

"I use Macs. Always have. I use OS X right now, and, with it, comes Apple's own web browser called Safari..."

Then he went on to talk about using OS X, loving Panther, eagerly awaiting Tiger (he used both Tiger and 10.4), talked about Safari, saying "there's a preference that blocks pop-ups", then talked about some other browsers and asked one of his staff what the lady should use, and it got into a big Firefox/Mozilla discussion.

Then he jumped back to praising the Mac, OS X, touting the stability and lack of virus/spyware issues, says all he's ever used is the Mac, etc.

A good 4-5 minutes on this topic. Which, in radio time, is a lot on a topic like this!

I know you guys hate him, but screw that and look, instead, at the big picture: Apple just got a free solid 4-5 minutes of acclaim, touting and praise by the single most-listened-to, highest-rated radio guy out there. Bazillions of people heard this little exchange, and who knows how many - being huge Rush fans and curious about what he considers fine, quality products - went to apple.com afterwards to see what Rush was talking so passionately about?

Apple couldn't buy this type of press and publicity!

Rush Limbaugh just did a bigger commercial - with more of an audience - in four minutes than Apple ever has for their OS and hardware! If there was a way to guage this stuff, I'd bet that apple.com experienced a bit of a spike in visitors between 12:30-12:40EST.

There's no disliking that, regardless of your politics. Like it or not, he is THE Big Daddy in this particular medium and there's no arguing the point. You'd rather have him praising/talking up Apple - from a purely marketing/exposure standpoint - than Mr. Franken or Liz Winstead, right?

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-07, 13:17

Good for Apple

On another note :
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Then he went on to talk about using OS X, loving Panther, eagerly awaiting Tiger (he used both Tiger and 10.4)
Tiger is 10.4
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-07, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Tiger is 10.4
I think he meant that Rush used both the names "Tiger" and "10.4" on his show.

Anyway, big deal. I guess some positive free press like this is nice every once in a while.

Years ago when Rosie O'Donnel had her talk show, practically every day she talked about using iMovie and showed some video of her kids sitting around the house that she edited. She even gave a Pro Mouse to everyone in the audience once. Did that have any sort of impact? Probably not anything significant, but it's informative and gets people talking. My mother actually asked me about iMovie because of Rosie's show.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2005-01-07, 13:30

Quote:
"I use Macs. Always have. I use OS X right now, and, with it, comes Apple's own web browser called Safari..."
"...and I'll tell you what, you'll never find a more elegant way to purchase your pills in bulk from Canada."

(Sorry)

Seriously though, this is a nice plug for Apple and everything that is OSX. The times they are a changin'.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-07, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
Good for Apple

On another note :

Tiger is 10.4
Uh...I know.

So does he. I mean to say he used it as in "I'm looking forward to their next major OS X update, called Tiger, version 10.4...".

Sorry for the confusion!

Rush knows, I know, etc.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 13:55

They need to get Oprah to give away a bunch of iMacs on one of her crazy giveaway shows. That would get some publicity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-07, 14:00

Yeah, I've thought that for a good while. When she gave those stupid cars away, that's ALL that was talked about for two weeks. I think she did something like this recently, but it was HPs.

Or did I dream that?

I think she gave away some laptops?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-01-07, 14:10

So, skates, honey, do you regularly listen to Rush? Do you agree with most of what he says? If there's something he believes in that you don't agree with, what would that be, if you don't mind my asking? Just wondering (and nosy).

When I used to rent a beach cottage on the Oregon coast, the surrounding mountains allowed only one radio station to get through - the one Rush was on. So I listened to him every day during my stay.

The thing that bugged me the most was that he 'never' had a moderate view - at least when I was listening. I mean, I have plenty of views - mostly moderate. But I do have some conservative views and some liberal views. I just wish they'd get someone on the radio who had a variety of views, the way I do. Maybe there "is" such a person. If so, please tell me who it is so I can tune in from time to time. I mostly listen to National Public Radio.

I think it's great that he talked so glowingly about Apple. Wonder who influenced him to start with Apple in the first place? That would be interesting to find out. And, yes, five minutes of raves on his program will plant the seed of curiosity in untold numbers of minds. Yay!

Anyone know what Apple's stock price is today?

By the way, how are you doing, sugarplum?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-07, 14:12

Oprah gave out a bunch of iPods some while ago. That's probably what you're thinking of, pscates.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 15:59

Rush is a commie. Another AN thread told me so!
MCQ
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Oprah gave out a bunch of iPods some while ago. That's probably what you're thinking of, pscates.
Then she gave out a bunch of Dell pocket DJs this year. How could she!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 17:15

It would be nice if Apple noticed a nice blip during that time period and was able to attribute it to Rush... this way they would have a bit more incentive to actually freakin' market the OS!! (As opposed to their products... which, other then the iPod, need a bit more exposure as well.)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-07, 19:43

I'm sure there was an increase in hits on apple.com. But only because many talk-show listeners eat up every word the host has to say. It's good advertising, though.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 20:14

Carol, I don't remember where you live, but if you have internet access, try WGN radio out of Chicago. They broadcast it over the internet too, and are consistently ranked #1 or #2 in the nation for the size of their listening audience. If you like NPR, I think you will really like this station.

Mile 1
Quagmire
meh

2005-01-07, 20:30

I see Rush as a future person who will be praising a new Mac in its intro video. Maybe we will see him in the iMac Mini vid?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-07, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
I see Rush as a future person who will be praising a new Mac in its intro video. Maybe we will see him in the iMac Mini vid?
Uhhhhhhhhh, no.

Steve = extremely liberal. It won't happen.
autodata
hustlin

2005-01-07, 21:23

Uhhhhhhhhh, no.

Rush = extremely controversial.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-07, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
Uhhhhhhhhh, no.

Rush = extremely controversial.
Or that too.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-07, 21:27

hahahahahahah not a chance

but it would be interesting to see a print ad with both Rush and Moore (or "Mr. Franken or Liz Winstead" or some other commie lefty like Rosie, heh) with the headline "At least they agree on something" and a big Apple logo between them with "Mac users" in small print underneath (or something like that). So Skates, you feel up to it?

Its a bit outdated, but it could look cool in the "think different" style as well.

I'm also enjoying this:

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-01-07 at 22:22.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-07, 21:43

Yeah, Rush is doing the drug thing right now.... that was so 20 years ago for Jobs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-07, 22:46

I think we talked about that earlier this year, perhaps even one of the earliest threads here at 'Nova, about pairing Rush with a well-known left-leaning Mac user (jeez, take your pick...only about half a bazillion to choose from), and having them in an ad together.

Remember that, anyone? I'm too lazy to check the archives...

But yeah, Rush is simply too "controversial" (oooh...BOO!) and...well, whatever.

Their current approach of doing/saying nothing (other than about the iPod) seems to be working like a charm!

nomorewindows

2005-01-07, 23:24

Quote:
I think we talked about that earlier this year, perhaps even one of the earliest threads here at 'Nova, about pairing Rush with a well-known left-leaning Mac user (jeez, take your pick...only about half a bazillion to choose from), and having them in an ad together.

Remember that, anyone? I'm too lazy to check the archives...

But yeah, Rush is simply too "controversial" (oooh...BOO!) and...well, whatever.

Their current approach of doing/saying nothing (other than about the iPod) seems to be working like a charm!

Rush makes me want to puke but this would make an awesome Super Bowl commercial. Anyone remember the last really cool one? :smokey:
ixocean

2005-01-08, 08:54

I think the earliest we'll see RUSH in an APPLE commercial might be in 2012, when APPLE debuts the iPill. The latest in digestible AAC2 players with embedded 802.11x, with a retina overlay and earpiece, both wireless for video viewing and audio streams.

TAGLINE: "With a disolving candy shell, it may not be OxyContin, but DAMN I can still hear voices in my head."

*happiness is a journey, not a destination...

Visit my WEBSITE!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-08, 10:02

Rush is addicted to the Mac platform.... what say YOU varlets?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-08, 10:11

Well, he's got that going for him, anyway. Now I have something nice to say about Rush, so I can apply the "My mother always told me..." rule.

...into the light of a dark black night.