AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

the YouTube, Google Video thread...post your "gems"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
the YouTube, Google Video thread...post your "gems"
Page 100 of 100 First Previous 96 97 98 99 [100]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-16, 21:15

I always enjoy this movie, especially all the Dangerfield scenes. What a menace!

Caddyshack seems like the most decadent, coke-fueled movie ever. I’m sure it was…it just jumps off the screen. Ted Knight’s role was great too.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-07-16, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I always enjoy this movie, especially all the Dangerfield scenes. What a menace!

Caddyshack seems like the most decadent, coke-fueled movie ever. I’m sure it was…it just jumps off the screen. Ted Knight’s role was great too.
You know a movie is going to be full of world-class performances when Bill Murray's isn't even in the top three.

(Dangerfield > Knight > Chase for me in that movie)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-17, 04:53

Knight really nailed that jerky, snobby type so well. Wasn’t sympathetic in the least (nobody in this movie was), except maybe that poor little gopher.

That was a huge trend in 70’s/80’s comedy, the “slobs vs. snobs” thing. Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack, Trading Places, etc. all centered around, or had a major sequence based on, free-wheeling, good-time party-hounds making life miserable for the clench-jawed, old-money “society” crowd. And there’s always an SNL connection to the “slobs” side: Belushi, Murphy, Murray, etc.

That’s SNL and Lorne Michaels’ legacy: low-rent movie shitheads who, in real life, nobody would ever support, cheer on, laugh at, etc.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-07-17, 04:56

Knight really nailed that jerky, snobby type so well. Wasn’t sympathetic in the least (nobody in this movie was), except maybe that poor little gopher.

That was a huge trend in 70’s/80’s comedy, the “slobs vs. snobs” thing. Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack, Trading Places, etc. all centered around, or had a major sequence based on, free-wheeling, good-time party-hounds making life miserable for the clench-jawed, old-money “society” crowd. And there’s always an SNL connection to the “slobs” side: Belushi, Murphy, Murray, etc.

That’s SNL and Lorne Michaels’ legacy: low-rent, unrepentant shithead movie characters who, in real life, nobody would ever support, cheer on, laugh at, side with, defend, etc.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-09-21, 09:52

Bumping the old YouTube gems thread for a little shameless self-promotion. (No monetization. Just trying to spread a little joy.)

Star Trek sings September (by Earth, Wind & Fire)

I made this!

🖖

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-09-21, 10:42

Oh, now you've gone and nerded it up!

I sent this to Jess, because, well, she'll understand.

That's awesome! Good job, Brad. Gave me a much needed early morning chuckle.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-09-21, 16:11

Nice. I’m just thinking about how many hours went into getting all the clips.
¡Damned!

2023-09-21, 16:23

Ba-du-da = Ba'ku had me literally laughing out loud.

Well done.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-09-21, 17:22

You about to be REAL famous...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-09-21, 19:25

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. Glad to know I'm in good company who know how to appreciate the classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Nice. I’m just thinking about how many hours went into getting all the clips.
So. Many. Hours.

I keep an archive of text transcripts of most of the episodes and movies, and I spent many long nights searching for text and scrubbing through videos (I also have local rips of almost all of Trek on my NAS) as I built out this big table of filenames, timestamps, and dialog phrases in a CSV file. I then wrote a small Python program to read through that CSV file and extract… oh… 240 individual MP4 files, each typically only a couple seconds long. Then I took several more days to arrange the clips, fiddle with timing, try to improve inconsistent color grading, fade and isolate audio, slide equalizers to make completely unrelated dialog seem slightly less unrelated, and sometimes go right back to the drawing board because an audio clip sounded awful next to others.

My finished timeline zoomed out…

hides a lot of little tweaks when zoomed in…

And then I redid it in a completely opposite aspect ratio to make two YouTube shorts because I'm a masochist.

I don't really spend a lot of time in NLEs, but it scratches an itch I've had cemented in my brain for almost 30 years since I was first exposed to Avid VideoShop on my '94 Performa 638CD* with its built-in AV capture card. I only get to scratch that itch maybe once or twice a year if I'm lucky, but I try to hone my novice abilities a little more with each opportunity. My dogged persistence tries to make up for my lack in actual professional skills.

* Even though it was technically woefully under-powered and over-priced for its time, it was my first Mac — not a hand-me-down or a temporary loaner or some junk DOS computer from a family member's office — and I loved every bit of it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-21, 09:32

Someone recently pointed me to a guy who does archaeology using the Bible as their reference. It is pretty fascinating for the tings I've seen so far, which aren't much, though he has high praise from everyone I've heard/read.

This one is about who was the Pharaoh of the Exodus. I always figured this kind of thing would be everywhere in the world's history but apparently who the Pharaoh was is less obvious. There is no doubt that the Exodus happened, just some of the details are missing. This guy seems to line it up well.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.