User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The inevitable "sneak photos" of signage are in.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The inevitable "sneak photos" of signage are in.
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-05, 18:38

Gizmodo linky.

No huge scoops - the "OS X iPhone" banners feature the current iPhone, and the "OS X Leopard" banners feature, well, Leopard. That's probably why these aren't covered in The Black Tarp (at least, not yet). But any sort of signage proclaiming "OS X Leopard" would seem sort of out of place after Apple announces Snow Leopard, no?

And "OS X iPhone"? While I agree that it is time "the iPhone/iPod touch OS" got a distinct name, how does "OS X iPhone" make sense? Shouldn't it be "iPhone OS" or "iPhone OS X"? Or, to include the iPod touch, "iOS"?

There is a sign for Xcode 3.0, though. w00t! Oh, wait...I don't know what that means.

In any case, I like the pretty "icon swirl" look. And "The Future calling" on the iPhone screen? Clever.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-05, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
And "OS X iPhone"? While I agree that it is time "the iPhone/iPod touch OS" got a distinct name, how does "OS X iPhone" make sense? Shouldn't it be "iPhone OS" or "iPhone OS X"? Or, to include the iPod touch, "iOS"?
Nope. OS X is the new branding for the core technologies.

OS X (Leopard) is the current OS X build for Macs. (Okay, that I don't get, honestly, unless... they have something else in mind for Snow Leopard... )
OS X (iPhone) is the OS X build for iPhones.

They're both OS X.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-05, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Nope. OS X is the new branding for the core technologies.

OS X (Leopard) is the current OS X build for Macs. (Okay, that I don't get, honestly, unless... they have something else in mind for Snow Leopard... )
OS X (iPhone) is the OS X build for iPhones.

They're both OS X.
I know...hence, "iPhone OS X," or "i OS X", or "OS Xi." I'm just saying "OS X iPhone" doesn't make any sense, unless its Mac counterpart was called "OS X Mac" (or "Mac OS X Mac" ).

EDIT: Unless, of course, Apple rebrands all of OS X, and drops the "Mac" from the title of "OS X Leopard."

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2008-06-05 at 20:42.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-05, 20:32

I've got a headache.

But I'm kinda getting MWSF-level excited about this. And that never happens during WWDC. I guess it's because it's going to focus on a product that I actually own, love and use every day, and that so much of what will be unveiled Monday (possible v2.0 release and .Mac revamp, third-party software store, etc.) actually pertains to, and affects, me

Even stuff that doesn't - the new iPhone itself, or any other new hardware - well, that's just always fun to see and read about in the hours following the keynote.

It just sounds like this is shaping up to be a good one, on several fronts and levels.

It's like Christmas morning, these things. But a little extra cooler when it's stuff you use and care about.

If the big rumors for Monday were all centered around Xserves and the like, I'd already be asleep or in full-tilt "meh..." mode.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-05, 21:02

From MacRumors:

Lots of brown, unmarked boxes at the Quanta distribution facility in California...

I'm not buying it, since the photo is much too straight, centered and in-focus to be a true leak or "spy" shot.

It's probably cases of Prego spaghetti sauce behind Ralph's.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-06-05, 21:06

Yeah, it has to be blurry to be credible.

I did read the article that was talking about those boxes earlier. They said a lot of activity was going on around that distribution center.

It always amazes me that Apple can keep these things secret for as long as they do.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-05, 21:07

Free iPhone 3G under everybody's seat.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-05, 21:12

Better

I'd totally believe this.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-06-05, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But I'm kinda getting MWSF-level excited about this.
I'd agree. It seems like there is a large potential for some very cool changes to existing products. This will be the first Steve-note in awhile I won't be able to watch the streams for as I'll be out of the country till next Saturday. The question is will I be able to wait or will my curiosity peak enough to warrant international data roaming charges on the iPhone to figure out what happened.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-05, 21:31

Whoa, total deja vu.

That, coupled with my undoubtedly prophetic WWDC dream (see the "Predictions" thread), leads me to only one conclusion: I CAN SEE TEH FUTURE!!!1
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-05, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I'd agree. It seems like there is a large potential for some very cool changes to existing products. This will be the first Steve-note in awhile I won't be able to watch the streams for as I'll be out of the country till next Saturday. The question is will I be able to wait or will my curiosity peak enough to warrant international data roaming charges on the iPhone to figure out what happened.
Where the hell are you going, to search for bin Laden in the mountains of Pakistan? You won't have access to a business center or internet cafe?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-05, 21:40

He just might be traveling in some older, more quaint regions and isn't planning on seeking those kinds of places out?

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-05, 22:07

I thought the huge-grinned emoticon in my post made it clear I was joking with 'jdcfsu' ... but, all kidding aside, I am a little curious where one could travel these days where cellular service is present but computers are not.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-06-05, 22:12

Geeze, the "where is jdcfsu" speculation should not amount to that of the "what's behind the black curtain" hype (though, interestingly enough none of the "spy shots" seem to show black curtains.) I'll be on an island in the Bahamas and I'm not even sure there will be cellular coverage. It's actually just a guess on my part. Should there be, any Twitterers want to direct message me monday to let me know what's up?

By the way, that's "altered" spy shot is money pscates!

Website | Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-05, 22:16

See, 007?

Can't get much older and more quaint than "an island in the Bahamas".

Maybe he can rub two coconuts together or something...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-06, 07:33

Quote:
See, 007?

Can't get much older and more quaint than "an island in the Bahamas".

Maybe he can rub two coconuts together or something...
Run a string to the mainland! We'll send you WWDC updates via Morse Code.

As far as Xcode 3.0 goes, I started seriously playing with it the other night now that I have the latest edition of Aaron's book and Holy Cow! It's way nicer than any previous version. I'm actually fired up to code in Xcode / IB.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-06, 11:32

Another cool item, about "do not open until..." boxes arriving at stores.

"Do not open" doesn't mean "do not scan with an x-ray device", does it? Because that's what I'd do...

Well, something is definitely coming Monday (duh). But this makes it even more, super-realerer.

Wrao
Yarp

2008-06-06, 17:58

Just had a thought, forgive me if someone posted this before, I have not been logging on much lately. But, perhaps the two golden gate bridges was meant to represent the diverging OS X product line into OS X Leopard and OS X iPhone.

I know that doesn't seem like a huge deal, but considering the amount of effort and resources Apple is putting into the iPhone project, that naming convention might be a bigger deal than we think.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-06, 18:37

I'm sure that's what it represents. You'll have regular, "computer" (Mac) OS X. And then there will be the iPhone/iPod touch/iXXX/xTab/iNewt/MeReader variant.

Hey, I just saw this story at MacRumors.

I have a silly question, having not ever used a GPS device before, or knowing exactly how they work on several levels.

If this iPhone has GPS (and it's a safe bet it does, looking at the above article), is this the sort of feature that has a fee attached? Or is it like Wi-Fi, and it just goes out and gets the info it needs with no "per usage" cost? I'm not sure how that works. Those of you who have a Garmin or Tom-Tom Go device...what do you do? You buy the thing one time and it just "works", or do you have to pay some sort of subscription to a particular outfit?

Will GPS on the iPhone just be a transparent, "always there" feature/function (like Google Maps and others)?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-06-06 at 21:50.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-06-06, 23:17

We don't pay a monthly fee for the GPS in our Honda or our standalone Garmin unit.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-06-06, 23:34

Quote:
Will GPS on the iPhone just be a transparent, "always there" feature/function (like Google Maps and others)?
There are a lot of phones on the market that have GPS in them (it may be faux GPS ala cell positioning, I'm not sure) and they all function as a part of the cell plan.

I remember when AT&T shipped my roommate a new phone a few years ago there was a strange icon that was always on and had no explanation in the manual. He took it to a store to inquire about the odd icon. The clerk told him it was the phone's GPS, which couldn't be turned off. It's a little scary on one level (see the privacy thread floating around here) but if implemented right -- which knowing Apple it will be -- can be extremely useful on another (check out this LifeHacker article: http://lifehacker.com/395171/how-you...nge-your-life).

Website | Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-06-07, 06:21

As best I remember, the GPS devices simply triangulate on signals from GPS satellites... so as long as the sats are up and flying (and as long as the government allows them to broadcast refined coords) your GPS-enabled device will work within that framework and doesn't require any sort of subscription.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-07, 06:25

GPS is a free service. Downloading relevant maps aren't (unless you got WiFi coverage the entire way)
a few years ago harly any phones had GPS. The large majority still don't. It might be a clueless AT&T guy that mistook the GPRS icon (tiny earth icon on my old Sony-Ericsson) for GPS.

Converted 07/2005.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-06-07, 06:56

Faux-GPS (triangulating from known cell masts) runs on the cellular network and thus leaves identifiable digital traces.

GPS triangulation from satellites doesn't personally identify your device or leave traces.

edit: bah... link search let others answers first.

Hmmm... post also suitable for privacy thread. Or threads about tinfoil hat films with gene hackman and will smith.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-07, 08:03

Whoa!

Not quite sure what to make of that. Is it real or not? If it's a fake, someone did some nice work because it certainly looks Apple-y enough (except for the guy's cheeseball, "who me?" expression, but maybe that's okay too).

If it is real/accurate, Roboman will be thrilled to see a Product Red iPhone...

I know I shouldn't get too wound up, as this sort of thing is very easily created/faked anymore. The guy could've just take all the rumors regarding the tapered shape, spent some time in Photoshop mocking up an iChat interface on an iPhone, etc.

But it sure looks nice...

EDIT: upon further examination and analysis (and reading the comments at the above article), I do believe this is a fake/hack job. A good one, no doubt...but another "leg-puller" with Photoshop and some time to kill.

It would be nice if people would just say, up front, "hey, this is a 'what if' mockup...it's not a 'leak', I'm not trying to pass it off as one, so don't wet your pants over it. It's just me having some fun in Photoshop..."

But they don't, so they're kinda angling for some attention/face-time and to stir the pot by leaving it "hanging out there" and not clarifying.

I think that's borderline Evilâ„¢.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-07, 08:35

Yeah, I had seen that picture on Engadget, and they had some very good reasons why it was fake - namely that they apparently have the 3G iPhone's firmware, and there's no reference of an iSight camera or video calling in any of it. But Apple did apparently patent having an iSight camera (between the other two sensors at the top) so who knows...maybe next time.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 09:00

The fact that the black one has a hold button and the red one doesn't is extremely suspect. And why the hell is it a photo of a computer screen rather than a screen shot? No story, nothing.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-07, 09:29

You know pscates is excited when he uses that many smilies!
rasmits
rams it

2008-06-07, 09:37

And I'm pretty sure all Apple Models are to ALWAYS be in impossibly good quality shots with great lighting, a perfect smile, a wardrobe supplied by Urban Outfitters, and don't forget the CK designer frames.

Sorry, but Carlos Rodriguez does not fit that profile.

Edit: the lack of table reflection on the video chat window is also a give away

You had me at asl
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-06-07, 09:54

ichat video on my iphone would be HUGE...of course it will also lead to multiple car accidents as teens video chat and text chat and what not all while driving

.....get off my lawn....

old g

ichat video would be the only thing that gets me to trade in and update my iPhone...

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough