User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

What's Happening In August? Should I buy now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's Happening In August? Should I buy now?
socreative

2006-07-09, 11:14

I'm ready to invest in TWO iMacs, one for me, and one for my husband. I'm looking at the 20" iMac core duo.

Then I saw this!!!

In another post, AWR wrote:

"You might also consider waiting a bit, if you can, because as I understand it, the iMac might be in for a speed bump with Intel's release of a new chip (which is scheduled for August, irc)."

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN AUGUST? Boo hooo! I don't wan to wait!

Please reply

Jo-Anne
A PC User, Wanting Badly to go MAC
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-09, 11:19

Possibly one or more of the following:

Macbook Pro
MacPro
Mini
iMac
iPod
socreative

2006-07-09, 11:22

Possibly one or more of the following items will what??? You are confusing me!

Also, What is a MacPro?
neiltc13

2006-07-09, 11:41

The Mac Pro is a replacement for the old PowerMac range. It's highly likely that Apple will release this product in August as it's the only personal computer in Apple's lineup left without an Intel processor. People have said it will be called Mac Pro simply because Steve Jobs (CEO, Apple) said that Apple want to get Mac into every name and rid the old "Power" name from the products.

I very much doubt that the iMac will be updated in August. For a start, Apple have already revised the model twice in about eight or nine months. Yes, it is likely that eventually Apple will put the new "Core 2 Duo" processors into the iMac but the version that Apple would need (a mobile chip) isn't available until later in the year.

Once again though - nobody knows what is coming out. While it's possible to guesstimate, it is possible that Apple could even introduce a new product or revise a different one to what we expect.

A general rule always applies to any technology purchase - if you need the product now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait. But remember - there will ALWAYS be the next generation of products. You could wait forever

Just out of interest, socreative, could you describe what you'd like to do on your new computer(s) so that we can better advise to whether a wait would be worth it?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-09, 11:43

Why don't you look at the other 100 threads asking this same question? They all have the same answer. Wait if you can, Buy if you can't wait.


blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-09, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by socreative
Possibly one or more of the following items will what??? You are confusing me!

Also, What is a MacPro?
Updates and new releases. The Mac Pro is supposed to be the new Power Macintosh tower.
brassguy

2006-07-09, 12:47

A thinksecret article thinks that the PowerMac will be replaced soon, but not the MacBook Pro.

Quote:
the mobile variety, code-named Merom, is not expected until the Fall. Accordingly, new MacBook Pro systems are not expected at WWDC, although a bump at the high-end to the recently announced 2.33GHz Core Duo processor is possible.
Why not the MacBook Pro in August? I can wait until after WWDC but only until just after it to get a laptop.

Should I just buy it now then and get the free printer?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-07-09, 13:29

socreative, in Georgia, there may be a tax free holiday, so you'll be able to save a few $$ if you wait.

edit: the tax-free weekend in Ga is the first weekend of the month. Wait less than 4 weeks and you'll save a few hundred dollars.
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-07-09, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
socreative, in Georgia, there may be a tax free holiday, so you'll be able to save a few $$ if you wait.

edit: the tax-free weekend in Ga is the first weekend of the month. Wait less than 4 weeks and you'll save a few hundred dollars.
Torifile, how do i figure out if there is a day like this in Colorado or a neighboring state? With student discounts and selling the Nano I'd be set.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-09, 16:34

Tax-free holidays? Really? I've never heard of that before.

I wonder if Nevada does them.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-07-09, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassguy
Why not the MacBook Pro in August? I can wait until after WWDC but only until just after it to get a laptop.

Should I just buy it now then and get the free printer?
I'd get one now if I were you. I don't see the enclosure update that many are predicting after Jobs repeatedly mentioned just how great the current series is at the event in January - also I don't think the speed boosts will be anything much. However isn't there a new intel logic board that is supposed to be coming out soonish? That might go into a revision, but I expect any MBP revisions to be decidedly low-key.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-09, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Yeah, NC has a tax-free weekend in early August, I believe. They're to help spur economic activity in general and to help parents who have to do a lot of back-to-school shopping for kids. Also, the "tax-free" status does not apply to all purchases but to specific types of goods.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Here (supposedly) is a list of states offering such a beast for 2006: bankrate.com
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-07-09, 22:56

Seriously, you'd have to be stupid to buy in the next 3 weeks if you live in a state with a tax-free weekend. I guess if you ordered online through amazon or something, you'd be ahead (maybe) but there's nothing like getting your mac immediately.

BTW, I'm planning on being at the Southpoint Apple store bright and early on August 4th to buy a macbook (for me) and nano (for the wife). I've still got my dook affiliation, so I get the discounts. Woo hoo!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Here (supposedly) is a list of states offering such a beast for 2006: bankrate.com
I see Texas is having one soon, I'll have to pick up a new pair of shoes then. I've been needing one for a while.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 10:27

Montana has tax-free days - everyday
Woot-Woot!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-12, 10:40

Virginia is having one but it really is awful. There are way to many restrictions on cost and type of item and such. It is ridiculous. If I am out and see something I need I will get it but I am not making any special trips.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-12, 14:37

socreative: It struck me that the two questions you ask in the title of this thread are questions that nobody can answer. If you can wait, wait. If you can't, don't. Either way, you'll get a great machine. Personally, I think that Georgia's tax-free weekend would be a great time to buy. Even if the iMac does get an update later, it would have cost you more to wait for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Montana has tax-free days - everyday
Woot-Woot!
So does Oregon. But unfortunately (well, fortunately, really, but I won't get into it) I don't live there anymore. But if you buy a Mac from Oregon-based PowerMax.com, you don't have to pay sales tax...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 14:45

socreative, August is the WWDC wing-ding (Worldwide Developer's Conference), where Apple often announces new hardware.

Most folks tend to hold off on big or important purchases in the weeks leading up to that, or January's Macworld Expo in San Francisco or a few other major events sprinkled throughout the year.

And yes, the Georgia tax free holiday is really nice. I was with a friend who took advantage of that a couple of years ago and saved a tidy sum (enough to get a few extra iAccessories and knick-knacks that she otherwise would've had to put off for a while longer).
socreative

2006-07-13, 18:16

Thank you soooo much for enlightening me as to what WWDC stands for. I had NO CLUE! As for the GA tax holiday, It won't help me get the Mac I want (20" Core Duo-Educator price of $1,599.00). See stipulation below...

"Personal Computers. A single purchase of $1,500 or less of personal computers and/or related accessories is exempt. If the single purchase exceeds $1,500, the entire transaction is taxable."

http://www.dor.ga.gov/salestaxholiday_2006/index.shtml

Jo-Anne
A PC User, Wanting Badly to go MAC
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-13, 21:16

Ouch. Maybe you'll get really lucky, and they'll drop the price $100.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-07-13, 21:32

That sucks. They should break it up into 2 purchases. If they were smart, that's what they'd do. They'd sell a ton more.

In NC, computers up to $3500 are exempt. Peripherals, including iPods, are exempt up to like $400 I think.