User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Question about adding a second optical drive to a Mac Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question about adding a second optical drive to a Mac Pro
AubreyL

2008-02-05, 15:54

I recently purchased a Mac Pro and am breaking down my old Windows Xp replacement that this is replacing. I kept the nicest of the two DVD Rewritable drives I had in it. I want to put this as a second drive in the Mac Pro. My question, I got drive replacement information off of Apple's web site but this is an addition, not a replacement. This information should still help me a lot but most of all, how do I set the connector in the back? Do I put it to slave/primary, or cable select? Is there anything else I have to do such as when I boot up the Mac Pro or will it simply just recognize it?
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-02-05, 16:03

Either Cable Select or Slave. Both may work, but be diligent and take out the Mac Pro drive to check first. If it's Cable Select, both should be set the same. If it's set as Master, the "new" drive should be Slave.
I have no clue if it will work. They may also have transitioned to S-ATA optical drives (same as the harddrives).

Converted 07/2005.
AubreyL

2008-02-05, 23:42

Thanks. I used Cable Select and I tried hooking it up and using the Option Key and the Eject key to eject it. The only problem is the drive I have, an LG4165B won't eject. It looks like it's ready to eject and it can't. My concern is that it has something to do with the silver door that is on the Mac Pro. I may be wrong but it seems the drive that came with the Mac Pro has a thin door and the one on the 4165B seems to be almost double the height. I even looked at other DVD Burners online and most seem to have this higher door from top to bottom. Is there a certain type of DVD drive that needs to be put in a Mac Pro so that it works with the special doors or is there something else I could have done wrong? Everything appears to be mounted properly.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-02-06, 07:04

On many drives, you can take the front faceplate of the tray off.