User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The inevitable "sneak photos" of signage are in.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The inevitable "sneak photos" of signage are in.
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-07, 10:03

I was just thinking about that. The cell phone talking/text usage while driving is probably bad enough (it is, I checked...).

But can you imagine people abusing the video chat thing?

"Hey, check out my new lip gloss! It's, like, soooo cool and stuff. Jacob says that it tast...*KA-POWWWW!!!*

Apple, being as clever as they are, could work those accelerometers into the thing and simply have it to where the iChat video function doesn't work if the iPhone detects that it's moving above a walking-pace type of speed (ie, you're in a car, etc.).

You'd have to sit relatively still (or just walk around only) to have it function. Would save about 60,000 lives a month, probably.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

I was just thinking about that. The cell phone talking/text usage while driving is probably bad enough (it is, I checked...).

But can you imagine people abusing the video chat thing?

"Hey, check out my new lip gloss! It's, like, soooo cool and stuff. Jacob says that it tast...*KA-POWWWW!!!*

Apple, being as clever as they are, could work those accelerometers into the thing and simply have it to where the iChat video function doesn't work if the iPhone detects that it's moving above a walking-pace type of speed (ie, you're in a car, etc.).

You'd have to sit relatively still (or just walk around only) to have it function. Would save about 60,000 lives a month, probably.
Accelerometers? If the iPhone ][ does have GPS, it's a no-brainer to know exactly how quickly you're moving.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-07, 10:18

Well, that too. You get my point, though...
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-06-07, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Accelerometers? If the iPhone ][ does have GPS, it's a no-brainer to know exactly how quickly you're moving.
More importantly, an accelerometer cannot tell you if you're in motion.

If it were in a fixed position, like *part* of the vehicle, you could probably do some extrapolation (numerical integration of the acceleration curves, with a margin of error), but not on a portable device with 3 degrees of freedom. Because it's impossible to tell if acceleration it feels is due to moving the phone or movement of something else (you, the car).

But yes, GPS data would help with that; it only gives you position, but across a few data points you can determine speed and direction, which is a perfect complement to an accelerometer---this gives you acceleration, velocity, and position vectors.

Alright, I'll take off my Physics hat now.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 11:12

Quote:
Well, that too. You get my point, though...
Yes I do - I'm just torquing your crank. I want the new iPhone to be out pretty badly myself and tweaking you alleviates some of my pent up frustration.

real hackers don't use sigs
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-07, 11:14

How annoying would it be for iChat not working when you're a passenger in a car?
Exactly.
Technical solutions should not replace common sense, no matter how much americans need it.

Converted 07/2005.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 16:48

Since 3G bandwidth is 2Mbit/s for stationary or walking users and somewhere between 348 and 128 kbit/s in a moving vehicle, I'm thinking there won't be much sense in trying to use video chat from a moving vehicle anyway.

real hackers don't use sigs
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 17:06

Quote:
Since 3G bandwidth is 2Mbit/s for stationary or walking users and somewhere between 348 and 128 kbit/s in a moving vehicle, I'm thinking there won't be much sense in trying to use video chat from a moving vehicle anyway.
Is that an imposed limit or just a result from bouncing between towers?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-06-07, 17:42

I'm sure it's a technical limitation.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-07, 18:12

Quote:
Yes I do - I'm just torquing your crank. I want the new iPhone to be out pretty badly myself and tweaking you alleviates some of my pent up frustration.

Well, okay then!

I was hearing some folks talk about this 3G iPhone (and Monday and WWDC) this afternoon, during breaks in my gig. So I guess the word is out there for people paying attention to such things.

EDIT: Oooh, subsidies! A $200 iPhone?! Holy smokes, that's only going to boost sales in a big way...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-06-07 at 18:41.
spikeo

2008-06-07, 19:24

Quote:
Whoa!

Not quite sure what to make of that. Is it real or not? If it's a fake, someone did some nice work because it certainly looks Apple-y enough (except for the guy's cheeseball, "who me?" expression, but maybe that's okay too).
This is fake. Apple don't give designers accurate assets to work with at this stage (and all of them wouldn't appear in one place until minutes before the product is launched). Apple would also never use product photos that are so jarringly ill-framed (2 side shots, 1 up and 2 back? No way. Apple love symmetry). Even for a "work-in-progress" type look this is weak.

The most compelling evidence aside from all this is that to dilute the launch of a new iPhone with a product (red) version would be sheer lunacy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple have not significantly updated the design of the iPhone at all. If it has GPS it might be a shade thicker or wider/taller.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-08, 22:41

This is very surprising. The spark/interest in Monday's WWDC announcements suddenly dropped down to nothing this weekend. Very little talk/activity in these main 3-4 WWDC/iPhone-oriented threads since Friday evening.

Did everyone just OD on all the talk and speculation?

I guess so. Granted, we do have two ongoing 10.6/Snow Leopard threads for no apparent reason, but still. I kinda expected these threads to be in high gear, especially the night before the keynote/announcements...

Very odd. Don't tell me you people went and did something crazy like "getting a life" or whatever? Seriously...what the hell?

There had better be some talk and activity here tomorrow, or else...
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2008-06-08, 22:54

Quote:
This is very surprising. The spark/interest in Monday's WWDC announcements suddenly dropped down to nothing this weekend. Very little talk/activity in these main 3-4 WWDC/iPhone-oriented threads since Friday evening.

Did everyone just OD on all the talk and speculation?

I guess so. Granted, we do have two ongoing 10.6/Snow Leopard threads for no apparent reason, but still. I kinda expected these threads to be in high gear, especially the night before the keynote/announcements...

Very odd. Don't tell me you people went and did something crazy like "getting a life" or whatever? Seriously...what the hell?

There had better be some talk and activity here tomorrow, or else...
ya i've been having serious vacation withdrawal the past 2 days since getting back from london (basically I just don't know what to do with my life anymore) so i'm really dissappointed when i've checked here for the 5th time in 30 minutes and still no new responses...
Axl

2008-06-08, 22:59

new rumor - Mac Fusion:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/08/rumor...developer-mac/

Mac Nano for developers?

somebody 'splain this one
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-08, 23:07

Man, that looks cool.
Dovek916

2008-06-08, 23:24

It looks... interesting. I say that because I have no idea what it is or what it would do. It looks real, but that could be easily faked and then made to look real by using a poor photo. If it is fake, it sure is convincing.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Dovek916

2008-06-08, 23:26

I just read the description paragraph in the third photo and to me, it does not sound like something Apple would write, but who knows.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-09, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl View Post
new rumor - Mac Fusion:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/08/rumor...developer-mac/

Mac Nano for developers?

somebody 'splain this one
Look at a Mac Mini. Cut it in half. Try to imagine how they could possibly fit everything in it.
It's quite impossible.
Also, what does the Windows and Linux icons have to do with making software for OS X?
Not to mention that the text is ridiculously unprofessional.
I like the blue triangle "Runs Windows under Boot Camp" - well DOH.

Converted 07/2005.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-09, 02:39

They didn't even put the three OS icons on the background without removing their original background, so they sit on a big white square!

Not to mention that the description text doesn't sound anything like Apple, and flows pretty poorly.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-06-09, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Look at a Mac Mini. Cut it in half. Try to imagine how they could possibly fit everything in it.
It's quite impossible.
Also, what does the Windows and Linux icons have to do with making software for OS X?
Not to mention that the text is ridiculously unprofessional.
I like the blue triangle "Runs Windows under Boot Camp" - well DOH.
Yup. If the slot was smaller (proportionally), then one could imagine that it was much longer and wider than the mini. It would actually be a striking bit of hardware. But as it stands--no way. I ain't buyin' it.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Eugene
careful with axes

2008-06-09, 02:42

Why is the Mac OS icon a Happy Mac, an image that really only appears when icon designers run out of ideas... See Finder and various other utilities.

Why does the "Fusion" do that other Macs can't? You would think that an app developer, particularly one that writes memory/CPU/disk intensive software would want something more.
rasmits
rams it

2008-06-09, 02:46

Ars had this to say:
  • The ad copy is found wanting.
  • Apple does not use the Windows logo.
  • The three logos clearly have a border.
  • Xcode 3.5 is listed in the bottom right, while Xcode is currently version 3.
  • "Apps" is capitalized in the tag line.
It's quite obviously fake. People don't even have to try anymore to make the front page...

You had me at asl
Mac+
9" monochrome

2008-06-09, 04:40

Well, whether or not it comes to fruition, I still like the sleek form factor. I also thought it plausible that Apple were pushing the development angle, which would tie in with WWDC. Surely, it can't all be iPhone and Snow Leopard.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-09, 06:06

Not plausible. For developers only/primarily would be to go for the wrong end of the 80/20 rule (which I believe Apple follows pretty well).

For whose who want to watch the keynote unspoiled, MacRumors delivers as usual:
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/02/...eynote-stream/

Converted 07/2005.
Miko
Veteran Member

2008-06-09, 06:21

Didn't Apple give developers who signed up an Intel based Power Mac when they first made the transition from PPC to Intel? Why would the build and sell a box years later for the same exact reason?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-09, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Didn't Apple give developers who signed up an Intel based Power Mac when they first made the transition from PPC to Intel? Why would the build and sell a box years later for the same exact reason?
That was a loaner box to recode your PPC apps for Intel (everyone enlisted in this program ended up getting free Rev A Intel iMacs). Supposedly this new box will take aim at Windows developers to get them developing for Mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-09, 07:45

For reasons talked about above, I don't think I'm buying this. It's a nice job, but some of the text and overall vibe just seems off somehow. Why is "apps" capitalized in the header? The the three logos are sitting in a white box. Why? Would hardcore developers want/need such a small machine? Aren't these often the guys wanting a bit more?

It looks very convincing, like someone put some time into it, but...I don't know.

We'll know for sure, starting in another 4:15.

Something like this would be so easy to fake (once the physical product mockup is done, the rest - the "look" of an Apple web page, with all the type, layout and graphic touches and standards - would be pretty easy to nail for anyone who pays attention.

If I say "fake!", it'll be real. If I claim it's legit, it'll be fake. I'm horrible at this, history has shown.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-09, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
For whose who want to watch the keynote unspoiled, MacRumors delivers as usual:
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/02/...eynote-stream/
Apple have also introduced a video podcast of the event, just check your iTunes Store for it.

Hopefully that'll be a bit better than the stream, the stream is always dodgy as hell for me... See which one comes first though I guess. Hopefully spoiler-free too

"Mac Fusion" doesn't make any sense. Why would developers need a computer different from anyone else? Why would Apple be advertising Windows and Linux? Is it supposed to come pre-installed with them?? Coz that would just be stupid. And the form factor looks pretty much impossible, not to mention utterly pointless.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-09, 07:52

Plus...when has Apple shown a picture from a slight angle like that? They almost always either show their products from the front, or in profile - not somewhere in between. Take, for example, their Mac mini page (still boasting of Leopard - how sad would it be if it still does so after they announce 10.6?), or their Apple TV page, or their Airport Extreme page, or their Time Capsule page - all photos of similar devices, always at the same angle: Directly head-on (apply directly to the forehead!), and from just above.

The only time I can think of that Apple has chosen any other angle for a promo shot would be in the banner for the "Mac" section, listing all the Macs, the Mac mini is at an angle - this is likely because they more or less have to display the Mac mini from the same perspective as everything else, so they can't "shoot" it from slightly above, as they usually do. A head-on picture of just the front of the Mac mini would lack interest, so...

So yeah - an odd choice of angle, too.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-06-09, 08:05

Good pick-up Robo!

Here's something very odd: the US version of the page you mention boasts Leopard, while the Australian version doesn't even have Leopard written anywhere on the page except in small-print.