AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

From XP to MacOS: time change

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
From XP to MacOS: time change
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-09-28, 05:25

So ppl,

How's life? Anyway, after using WinXP, when I log back on to MacOS the time has changed? is this normal, because everytime I have to change it after using XP. If not, then what could be the reason? I have all the necessary updates in both the OS and the time zones are the same as well as the regional setting, so on and so forth. I don't know what other reasons might be for this matter. Any suggestions ? thanks

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-28, 05:32

Did you upgrade your Boot Camp drivers to 1.1 or later? The FAQ states:
Quote:
Why is the time different between Mac OS X and Windows XP on my computer?

This issue is addressed in Boot Camp Beta 1.1.

With earlier versions of Boot Camp Beta, the Windows XP and Mac OS X operating systems handle your computer's date and time information differently, so the date and time may be different when you switch operating systems. For best results, use a network time server and resync the date and time whenever you switch operating systems. In Mac OS X, use the “Set date & time automatically” option in the Date & Time preferences. In Windows XP, click the Update Now button in the “Date and Time Properties” control panel.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-28, 08:36

chucker,

I think that iceman is referring to the fact that when you're using BC 1.1, Windows time is right, but OS X is now wrong. It used to be the other way around. Now, there's an app at start-up in XP that checks the time but in OS X, the time isn't checked immediately. I usually just launch "Date & Time" once I reboot to OS X.

That said, I don't know of an automatic solution to the problem. I'm not sure which is more annoying - having XP be wrong until I manually update or OS X...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-28, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
chucker,

I think that iceman is referring to the fact that when you're using BC 1.1, Windows time is right, but OS X is now wrong.
Not for me. BC 1.1 comes with an AppleTime.exe service that runs to keep the time in sync on the Windows side, then revert it to the OS X value upon restart. At least, this worked rather reliably in my experience. Now that I'm exclusively on Vista for Boot Camp, it doesn't work, as most Apple tools haven't been adjusted to install properly. I could probably manually set it up somehow.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-09-28, 09:55

chucker, torifile was right. Alright, I guess it is annoying, but I have to use windows, just to read PDB files. Actually torifile, having XP time wrong is fine as I don't give a crap about XP. I just want my OS X time to be right when I log back on without windows messing it up.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-09-28, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not for me. BC 1.1 comes with an AppleTime.exe service that runs to keep the time in sync on the Windows side, then revert it to the OS X value upon restart. At least, this worked rather reliably in my experience. Now that I'm exclusively on Vista for Boot Camp, it doesn't work, as most Apple tools haven't been adjusted to install properly. I could probably manually set it up somehow.
I guess that's how it's *supposed* to work, but I never got it to work. I had to do the hack where I put appletime.exe in the startup menu to get appletime to work at all. Maybe that's the problem. iceman, did you have to do that to get it to work?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-09-28, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman009 View Post
chucker, torifile was right. Alright, I guess it is annoying, but I have to use windows, just to read PDB files. Actually torifile, having XP time wrong is fine as I don't give a crap about XP. I just want my OS X time to be right when I log back on without windows messing it up.
If you want to leave the time wrong in XP so that it doesn't mess up OS X time, you need to remove the service.

In XP, go to "Start > Run" and type "msconfig"

Click on the "startup" tab and uncheck the one that says "AppleTime".

You might get a message the next time you log into windows saying that the config was altered but it's not a big deal. There's probably a better way to do this, but it's windows, so it's no doubt counter-intuitive.
chucker

2006-09-28, 10:06

I suppose you could write a startup script for Mac OS X that syncs with the time server, to work around this.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-09-28, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I suppose you could write a startup script for Mac OS X that syncs with the time server, to work around this.
sure, let me read in my cell biology book how to do that