AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What is up with the Mac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is up with the Mac?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-10-25, 17:00

Today I was looking at conference room systems that offer the choice of a Mac Mini or an Intel NUC.

Unusually, Apple's offering is the one that seems woefully behind the times.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2017-10-28, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Apple should definitely keep the MacBook Pro and MacBook on a reasonable product update cycle, and they have been. The lack of expandability isn't the result of a lack of updates...I'm sure Apple has plotted the bell curve for when 32GB of memory will be necessary to them.

But yes, I also think it is a reasonable expectation that 32GB memory options exist now (though Apple would still only include it CTO on the highest end model.) Philosophically Apple has been wrong here for quite some time, since Jobs was still at the helm.
It’s a chipset limitation. Whichever one Apple’s using maxes out at 16GB with the type of DRAM they use. “Pick a different kind of DRAM, then”, you say? Well, I agree... completely... Apple, however, does not. You see, the other kind of DRAM uses something like maybe 10% more power, which means that Apple would have to increase the size of the battery, which might increase the “thinness” of their laptops to 2, maybe 3 whole sheets of paper. And that’s clearly crazy or something.

(Seriously, all I want is as fast a CPU & GPU as they can fit & keep cool, an unreasonable amount of RAM, and a high DPI screen, all in a package that weights less than 15-20lbs and is noticeably thinner than a phone book from the early 90s.)

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-11-06, 22:32

Interesting development coming, as rumored, AMD graphics combined with an Intel 45W chips. These are apparently the same chips that will appear in iMac's in the future. Sounds like they may still have Intel IGP's on chip as well.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

Quote:
It has been discussed if this is a play just for Apple, given that Apple was behind Intel implementing eDRAM on its Crystalwell processors, and the latest generation of Crystalwell parts seem to be in Apple iMacs almost exclusively. That being said, Intel has stated that they have multiple partners interested in the design, and we should expect more information with devices in Q1. With Intel saying 'devices', it stands to reason that there are various OEMs waiting to work with the hardware.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-11-06, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
These are apparently the same chips that will appear in iMac's in the future.[/url]
The next iMac will be interesting. I don't know where the display tech is headed. The 5K iMac has been out for three years now. I would imagine 10K (to allow for 8K video plus editing space) is too ambitious for current graphics, so we're probably looking at a jump to 8K.

But now we have the iMac Pro, so does that have to get monitor enhancements before the regular line? And a new Mac Pro, which would likely sell in much fewer numbers if iMacs can do 8K video. So does the regular iMac just stay at 5K?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-11-07, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Interesting development coming, as rumored, AMD graphics combined with an Intel 45W chips. These are apparently the same chips that will appear in iMac's in the future.
Are you expecting the iMac to get thinner again, or why would it go down to 45W chips?

This will be for the 15-inch MBP. I don't think Apple was happy to make the Touch Bar MBP all-dGPU, but Intel kind of forced their hand by abandoning Iris Pro. Now, they can once again offer a lower-power draw, lower-price point option.

Alas, these are still Kaby Lake parts — four cores, LPDDR3.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-11-07, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The next iMac will be interesting. I don't know where the display tech is headed. The 5K iMac has been out for three years now. I would imagine 10K (to allow for 8K video plus editing space) is too ambitious for current graphics, so we're probably looking at a jump to 8K.

But now we have the iMac Pro, so does that have to get monitor enhancements before the regular line? And a new Mac Pro, which would likely sell in much fewer numbers if iMacs can do 8K video. So does the regular iMac just stay at 5K?
5K already seems plenty to me. What problem are we solving by going much higher than that?

I can sort of see a 35-inch (or whatever) 8K model, but a yet higher pixel density after only three years? Why?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-11-07, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Are you expecting the iMac to get thinner again, or why would it go down to 45W chips?
The low end 21' models are already using 45W chips, with IGPs, so I don't get the question. I doubt we'd see it with the 5k versions though.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-11-07, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
5K already seems plenty to me. What problem are we solving by going much higher than that?

I can sort of see a 35-inch (or whatever) 8K model, but a yet higher pixel density after only three years? Why?
I'm just thinking that 8K is the next big thing for video producers, as Japan is already broadcasting in 8K and North American 8K broadcasts will begin in earnest in the next few years.

My understanding is that the higher levels of the 'regular' iMac are for video production, and and the iMac Pro is aimed as VR, AR and scientific markets.
(And Thunderbolt 3 was designed to have 8K support as well.)

So the next step in the iMac's evolution would be supporting 8K Final Cut-based video editing.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-02-05, 14:07

As a follow up to my November post, 8K video will hit mobile phones this year or next.

So does the iMac 5K have to move to 9K or 10K in 2019? (8K + interface elements.)

The timing seems to work great for me, as I'm not buying a new machine until the Meltdown and Spectre bugs are fixed in hardware.