Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Can Siri Catch Up?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can Siri Catch Up?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-12-30, 14:35

Siri is certainly sucking wind these days, for anyone who truly puts the spoken command interface through its paces. A friend gave me an Amazon Echo Dot for my birthday and I upgraded to an Echo Plus with a built-in hub for controlling home automation. Being able to launch lighting schemes, search for data, play music, control volume, and explore capabilities has been really fun.

The more I use Alexa the more flaws I find in Siri, a product that already seemed like a parlor trick.

I'm wondering if Apple actually has anything happening deep inside the rings of its spaceship, or if it's more surface-deep glitz to schill hardware.

Time will tell.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
addabox
Veteran Member

2017-12-30, 16:50

I'm not sure how much of that is a Siri thing or a smart speaker thing. Certainly when Apple gets around to launching HomePod, volume control will be part of the mix, and already any iOS device has HomeKit which allows full control of any devices that are compatible (lighting, thermostat, etc). Would you say that Echo does a better job of parsing random requests for info, or handling non-standard commands? If so, that may be an artificat of Apple's choice not be as data-collection focused as Amazon and Google and do more on-device AI stuff. It's a trade-off, I guess, where you're less likely to get reversed engineered by a large commerce company but the device in your home listening to your every utterance isn't necessarily as good at reading your mind.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-12-30, 22:45

I can’t remember exactly where I read this, but the big difference is due to the way Alexa and Siri parse input. The deficits of Siri are simultaneously what allow for their advantage in breadth of languages supported...
Dave
Ninja Editor

2018-01-11, 20:14

“Can”, “will”, or “did, but there’s an unexpired patent on that”?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-01-17, 00:18

Alexa won CES 2018 and Cook appears to have squandered Apple's lead. In much the same way that Toyota finally caved to installing CarPlay in its 2019 cars, users will increasingly demand that their phones be a part of their smart homes. Unless Apple rolls out an astonishingly undetected smart product line I'm predicting that the landscape of smartphones will be radically different in 5 years.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2018-01-17, 14:56

I heard Google won CES.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-01-17, 15:17

I’m not sure if the smart toilet or the hip airbag did.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-01-17, 18:49

WHO THE HECK WON CES????

Ima need a replay or something.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2018-01-23, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
WHO THE HECK WON CES????

Ima need a replay or something.

The only way to win is to not play, so... I won.
paulhenry

2018-02-01, 02:16

I think you have to play.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-03-18, 03:08

We finally have a name to pin the Siri debacle on, a guy named Richard Williamson.

According to Mashable

Quote:
According The Information, it all went downhill after Steve Jobs died in 2011. Jobs' death marked the beginning of Siri's downfall.
Instead of continuously updating Siri so that it would get smarter faster, Richard Williamson, one of the former iOS chief Scott Forstall's deputies, reportedly only wanted to update the assistant annually to coincide with new iOS releases.
The blame really still falls to the Board and the CEO.

heymargaux

2018-03-18, 19:46

Quote:
We finally have a name to pin the Siri debacle on, a guy named Richard Williamson.

According to Mashable

The blame really still falls to the Board and the CEO.

What you share is pretty interesting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-03-18, 21:39

HeyMargaux are you an actual person, a bot, or an internet scammer from Bengaluru (like the rest of us)?

heymargaux

2018-03-19, 19:54

Quote:
HeyMargaux are you an actual person, a bot, or an internet scammer from Bengaluru (like the rest of us)?

I am a real person, but then again you will still judge me so who cares.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-04-01, 00:50

I'm too tired to judge anybody.

It's just that we've all been here so long that a new person is scrutinized carefully while we quietly hum Hillbilly music.

In other news, Apple has decided to try and make Siri competitive.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2018-04-01, 11:10

Quote:
It's just that we've all been here so long that a new person is scrutinized carefully while we quietly hum Hillbilly music.
Which is better than if you had heard us playing banjo music...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-04-01, 12:00

I honestly think the Homepod is going to do wonders for Siri.

It's exposing it's weaknesses to a different audience and now Apple is scrambling to catch up.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-04-01, 18:31

I am finding it difficult to believe that Apple could have been so tone deaf as to not realize (until the debut of their speaker) how big a mistake they've made with Stupid Siri.

#stupidsiri

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-04-02, 11:42

I just think they wanted something out there for the Apple fans who wanted a smart speaker and weren't going to buy anything from Amazon, Google, or now even Facebook.

I"m that person and was all set to buy the HomePod until I saw the reviews and how limited Siri was.

Going to give it a little bit of time and see how Siri shapes up prior to jumping in on the HomePod.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-04-02, 14:23

The price just seems crazy though. You can get 2 Sonos Play:1's for $350. The HomePod's look slick and I've heard the audio is very good, but for that price, I don't see the value when you compare the 2.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2018-04-02 at 15:13.
¡Damned!

2018-04-03, 17:59

Apple Hires Google’s A.I. Chief

Interesting... I don't know much (or anything, honestly) about this guy, but is it really a coup as the Times reports?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-04-03, 22:03

It could be?

In a way this sort of seems like that moment when Gates missed jumping in on the internet. Microsoft recovered, but they sort of missed out on owning a larger stake of next gen technology.