Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Old Time Radio

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Old Time Radio
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-21, 16:18

Just wanted to see if anyone here listens to old time radio shows besides me(and Windswept). For a long time I had known about it, but had never paid any attention to it. I got hooked when I picked up a tape with a couple of episodes of The Shadow at a Cracker Barrel during a long road trip believe it or not.

My favorites are the detective mysteries like The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot.

Anyway, if you have any interest, here's a couple of sites that are good to start off with.

Radio Lovers- If you want to just listen

Old Time Radio Cat- If you want to listen and/or buy

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 13:39

I like to listen to The Twilight Zone on WGN radio in Chicago. It's on at midnight on Saturday and sometimes Sunday. Although it's not "old time radio" in the strictest sense, it's like radio was before there was TV, actors tell a story and the rest is left up to your imagination. It's very cool to listen to. Go to www.wgnradio.com at midnight CDT on Saturday (I guess it's really early Sunday morning if you think about it) to listen to the free stream.

Come waste your time with me
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-22, 13:53

Not to hijack the thread at all, but do you 'old time' radio listeners know of a good resource for getting audio files of old radio commercials? Anything vintage - 1930s - 1970s. I figure there has to be something out there. I've been using them in podcasts... so far I've been restricted to Raymond Scott ads (which are on a compilation CD) and some CAMEL ads from the old Abbot And Costello Show. I'd like to branch out!
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Not to hijack the thread at all, but do you 'old time' radio listeners know of a good resource for getting audio files of old radio commercials? Anything vintage - 1930s - 1970s. I figure there has to be something out there. I've been using them in podcasts... so far I've been restricted to Raymond Scott ads (which are on a compilation CD) and some CAMEL ads from the old Abbot And Costello Show. I'd like to branch out!
Maybe this will help. Hopefully you can find something you can use here.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-22, 16:31

Beautiful. Thanks!
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 17:21

Glad I could help.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I like to listen to The Twilight Zone on WGN radio in Chicago. It's on at midnight on Saturday and sometimes Sunday. Although it's not "old time radio" in the strictest sense, it's like radio was before there was TV, actors tell a story and the rest is left up to your imagination. It's very cool to listen to. Go to www.wgnradio.com at midnight CDT on Saturday (I guess it's really early Sunday morning if you think about it) to listen to the free stream.
Thanks for the tip. I wish they had it where you could listen to past shows on their site.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 09:09

They do a podcast, but I don't think it involves the Twilight Zone show as I think TZ isn't just a WGN broadcast show so they probably don't own the rights to it.

Come waste your time with me
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-05-23, 09:46

Twilight Zone - It's syndicated and what they do is very clever, they get a large star for one of the roles and then there is a part left blank and one of the on air talent dubs it in, it's pretty good usually, it's something I use my radioShark for.

In the 70's National Lampoon's Radio Hour was regular Sunday Night listening for me and my pals, we would play pool and listen. The Radio Hour featured many of the people that would go on to form the "not ready for prime time players" Belushi, Bill Murray, Chris Guest (whose brilliant musical parodies were my favorites) among others. The humor was very cutting and sometimes surreal, in a Firesign Theatre kind of way. Many of the shows are available in iTMS under the Books(?) section. Just do a search for National Lampoon, at six bucks a show I think it's kind of steep, and they may be a little dated (tons of Spiro Agnew jokes) but very funny.

After that would be the King Biscuit Flower Hour which was a live concert from a selected band.

I love the Jack Benny show, I've found a bunch of those here and there and love them.
The Goon Shows are good too, Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan & Harry Secombe, they were hugely influential on Python, and The Beatles. In fact George Martin came to the Beatles from being the Goon Show producer/engineer.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Last edited by SKMDC : 2006-05-23 at 11:15.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-05-23, 10:21

I haven't listened to anything for a while, but "Suspense!" was always good. One of my favorites is still Stan Freberg, though. He's one of the great satirists of our time, IMHO.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-05-02, 22:15

*bump*

Found some good Sherlock Holmes podcasts on iTunes.

I also found a podcast that has some great older cartoon shorts. I love the Superman ones.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-03, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post

Yay!
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-11-10, 12:04

I found a good podcast of Dragnet radio shows. The audio quality is a bit iffy on a couple of episodes, but overall I think it is quite good.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-11-10, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
*bump*

I also found a podcast that has some great older cartoon shorts. I love the Superman ones.
Those are the ones we listened to in Eighth Grade english which got me to pick up an actual fiction book and read it for pleasure.

My favorite old time radio stuff is the Jack Benny Show, and You Bet Your Life, with Groucho Marx.

But when I was in High School in the early seventies the FM station on Sunday Night would play the King Biscuit Flower Hour* which was a one hour (taped) live broadcast. Following that was the National Lampoon Radio Hour which we recorded and kept because they were so good. It was all the players/writers that would go on to be the original SNL cast plus a few others, most notably Chris Guest who did most of the music parodies. A lot of these are available in the book?! section of iTunes, and Richard Belzer (also a NL Radio Hour troupe member) hosts.

*named after a show in the 40's that broadcast live music events.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"