AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Why can't Siri actually help me?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why can't Siri actually help me?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-20, 20:32

So I switched to Sprint recently and got new iPhones for my choice. I've been using Siri since the she was put into action years ago and yet now on my new phone she is worthless to me. She works fine from my Watch and my phone has no internet issue but yet Siri is useless. Is there a way I can jog her memory without restoring my phone? The first is one of her responses when I ask her "Where is my wife?". The second was me asking for Messages.

Seems Siri can't read anything on my phone for some reason. I don't get it. Anyone else have any insight into this?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-01-21, 00:47

Once you have looked at (cleared) all of your messages Siri is useless.

I have a laundry list of Siri complaints, as I employ it a LOT while I'm driving.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-21, 01:21

The problem is Siri can't/won't read me my messages anymore. Like I say, "Message my wife."

She replies, "Who is your wife?"

"Mrs T."

She replies, "I can't find 'Mrs T' in your contacts. To whom shall I send it?"

Thing is my wife is in my contacts and her iPhone number is even a favorite in my Phone.app. Same with FaceTime Audio. It's like Siri is in a sandbox on my iPhone and can't communicate with anything else on the device. I'm not even running a beta iOS on here. It's a stock 9.2.1 that was restored from backup of my 5s I just retired. Siri worked just fine on there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-01-21, 12:43

Sometimes resetting network settings will help with Siri problems. Might be worth a shot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-21, 12:59

How does one reset network settings on iOS? I'm just not sure what that means on a phone.

Edit: I installed 9.3 beta and it's working now. Seems that was enough to jog her memory.

Last edited by turtle : 2016-01-21 at 13:11.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-01-21, 14:09

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-01-21, 14:14

Well doesn't that make sense. I typically avoid the "Reset" area because I only think about it for wiping my phone.