User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google Knol
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-12-16, 05:29

So this morning I fond a pair of articles at Ars and El Reg about Google's newest scheme. Basically Google is getting into the *pedia business by letting people write their own Knol articles via a website tool offered and hosted by Google. These knols will then get top position in peoples searches.

And here's the big one: You can choose to put Adsense ads on it as a means of making money on your Knols. Both Ars and El Reg notes that there's going to be vicious competition over this and probably lot's of intellectual infringements. Not to mention a big pile of steaming s*** for Wikipedia to suck on.

Sounds awesome from a knowledge customers point of view. Sounds like it's going to get ugly.

I'm already in love with it!

Last edited by Mugge : 2007-12-16 at 09:53. Reason: "ll" -> "l"
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-12-16, 07:51

Anything that sticks it to Jimmy Whales (or whatever the jumped up prick's name is) is good news in my book..
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-16, 07:58

The name is Knol, btw. I'm only pointing this out so people don't get "WTF" moments when trying to find out more about the project.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-12-16, 08:08

Argh! Well, f*** me.

Thanks for the heads up, chucker.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 09:32

The funny thing is that if you google it you can't easily find any actual portal to the service.. I guess I'll have to read more, or is it not actually up and running yet?

I quite fancy having a go at this and contributing. It seems a lot more of a global community project than the somewhat cleeky Wikipedia. To be frank with all the recent infighting and rubbish going on in the Wikipedia universe it seems to be heading the way of DMOZ.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-16, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
is it not actually up and running yet?
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/...ontribute.html
Quote:
Earlier this week, we started inviting a selected group of people to try a new, free tool that we are calling "knol", which stands for a unit of knowledge. Our goal is to encourage people who know a particular subject to write an authoritative article about it. The tool is still in development and this is just the first phase of testing. For now, using it is by invitation only.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-12-16, 12:39

Hurumph! Normally I get those invites too!

*scuttles off to bug contact*