User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.7: New biomes and terrain! New flowers! New Trees! Oh my!
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Question about iJak's farm: If you copy it over will the beasts come over as well?
You raise an interesting point. The copy operations are only for terrain, not mobs. I'm actually not quite sure how I'd bring over the animals. Maybe if we could push them into the nether beforehand, have the nether link to the new world, and bring them back through portals? I'll have to experiment with this...

Quote:
Err, just thought of another thing... does our bank account get wiped as well?
Wouldn't that be great! Maybe you should buy a ton of gold with your funds and stash it under your bed? It's a good old fashioned bank run! No, wait, maybe that's not a bad idea...

I don't plan to wipe them, but I don't know what could happen.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2013-09-08, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You raise an interesting point. The copy operations are only for terrain, not mobs. I'm actually not quite sure how I'd bring over the animals. Maybe if we could push them into the nether beforehand, have the nether link to the new world, and bring them back through portals? I'll have to experiment with this...
Noah's Nether! I like it. I'd bring my horses and a few Mooshrooms over for sure.

Quote:
I don't plan to wipe them, but I don't know what could happen.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-08, 19:21

I'm going to be desperately looking for another skellie spawned then, because this is my new way of life. I'm not sure if anyone realizes what strides I've made in Owen's World.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-09-08, 20:08

How different is our seed with a complete new world generation? I'm just wondering how different given that it's got some very rough edges next to our current world.

Personally I'm ok with a wipe, however it's such a pain. I really hope they quit changing it so bad that we feel we must start over regularly. I'm hoping to see a long last world even if we just move spawn to a new area. Sure the world will get massive, but at least we will have the world.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-08, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
How different is our seed with a complete new world generation? I'm just wondering how different given that it's got some very rough edges next to our current world.
Basically, you have to think of it as though it's just a totally different seed. There's nothing compatible more or less than if we were to reset the seed today and get border cliffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Personally I'm ok with a wipe, however it's such a pain. I really hope they quit changing it so bad that we feel we must start over regularly. I'm hoping to see a long last world even if we just move spawn to a new area. Sure the world will get massive, but at least we will have the world.
Yeah, I'm really on the fence about it. Maybe if we simply move spawn to a new area and "kill" everyone (have everyone unload their goods at home before we shut down to upgrade), we could force everyone to resettle for a little bit before opening portals back to the old town. That might work out nicely.

Also, if my experiments today are any indication, some of the new biomes like the clay desert and ice kingdom might be super-rare. I haven't found any yet, but I've found plenty of the kind you'd expect (various plains, various forests, rivers, oceans, hills, extreme hills).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2013-09-09, 14:45

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really on the fence about it. Maybe if we simply move spawn to a new area and "kill" everyone (have everyone unload their goods at home before we shut down to upgrade), we could force everyone to resettle for a little bit before opening portals back to the old town. That might work out nicely.
I'd be in favor of this. After everyone is resettled we could wipe the old area and the Nether, but at least it would leave everything intact for a while until stuff got moved over. Maybe we could bring back /tl for a short time to aid in the moving process, since schlepping single inventories to and from new and old spawn would be hella time consuming (even through the Nether).

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-09-09, 17:31

I like the idea of moving spawn 10,000 blocks North (say) and resettling....but still being able to get to the old town if we want to.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-09, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I like the idea of moving spawn 10,000 blocks North (say) and resettling....but still being able to get to the old town if we want to.
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking this idea. 10K might be a bit much, but a few thousand definitely.

Quote:
Maybe we could bring back /tl for a short time to aid in the moving process, since schlepping single inventories to and from new and old spawn would be hella time consuming (even through the Nether).
Nah, no /tl. Sell your stuff, compact your storage, or take your sweet time going back and forth!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-09, 22:35

I'm SFW, Grey.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-09-12, 10:13

Ooooooo... purdy land:

So looks like they are putting out 1.6.3 to help ease the move to 1.7. They mention nether but I wonder if it will impact the cliffs of Jeb in world too?

Based on this I'm thinking we go to 1.6.3 when we can then test the jump to 1.7.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-12, 13:31

Oh wait, we can RUN these snapshots ourselves? Hmmm....

¡Damned!

2013-09-12, 16:04

Out of curiosity I was just looking over the history of snapshots-to-official-release dates, and it may be a while before we see 1.7 officially launched.

1.4 - first snapshot release: 09 August / official release: 25 October
1.5 - first snapshot release: 03 January / official release: 13 March
1.6 - first snapshot release: 18 April / official release: 01 July

1.7 - first snapshot release: 05 September

That's around two and a half months on average between first snapshot and official release! By that logic we won't be jumping into 1.7 until mid-November.

I guess what I'm saying is, no need to put off building anything in the current world. I'm going to continue along with the pieces for the park, and then hopefully find a spot at new spawn to have them transported to.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-12, 16:10

I'm curious, is it POSSIBLE to transfer chunks of ground? As in an underground skellie-spawner home?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-12, 18:15

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is, no need to put off building anything in the current world. I'm going to continue along with the pieces for the park, and then hopefully find a spot at new spawn to have them transported to.
Transplant to the new spawn spot? Heretic! The only thing we had been talking about copying over were structures if we wiped the world (plus the side discussion about bringing over some "best of" creations from previous worlds).

I say keep the park at the "old" town. Having some neat attractions like that, the money bin, the space needle, former homes, etc. gives people a reason to visit. Otherwise, we might as well just wipe the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm curious, is it POSSIBLE to transfer chunks of ground? As in an underground skellie-spawner home?

Certainly, but I think we're set on keeping the defined 1536x1536 plot of land we're currently occupying. So, don't fret about losing your slick subterranean bone grinder.

¡Damned!

2013-09-12, 18:57

Quote:
Transplant to the new spawn spot? Heretic! The only thing we had been talking about copying over were structures if we wiped the world (plus the side discussion about bringing over some "best of" creations from previous worlds).

I say keep the park at the "old" town. Having some neat attractions like that, the money bin, the space needle, former homes, etc. gives people a reason to visit. Otherwise, we might as well just wipe the area...
Ah! For some reason I thought we were wiping the old spawn after we'd moved over to new spawn. That changes things.

Are we still wiping the Nether, or are we keeping that as well?

I guess with Steve's Mart at old spawn there will be a lot of traffic back and forth, so I wonder if wiping the Nether is worth it. Although, it could be nice to get a fresh Nether with walkways (and certainly a spawn>spawn rail system). Any idea if it'll stay the same, or change somehow with the new terrain algorithms?

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-09-26, 12:08

Red sand introduced in the new snapshot today. Found in mesa biomes.

Not that I think we'll get red glass or anything, but I really hope the sand is craftable into red sandstone blocks/slabs/stairs, etc. That would be an amazing addition.

Maybe even NPC villages on mesas? New adobe style temple?

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-10-22, 14:44

2 new wood types introduced. Acacia and Dark Oak (along with planks/stairs/slabs):

And new top-textures for logs:

I'm liking the Acacia a ton. This update is looking better and better.

Also, the snapshot today threw off the number/letter tags and is "1.7 Pre-release" – so I'm betting we get 1.7 dropped by Halloween. Here's hoping for red sandstone still, but who knows.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-10-23, 13:09

Quote:
1.7 - first snapshot release: 05 September

That's around two and a half months on average between first snapshot and official release! By that logic we won't be jumping into 1.7 until mid-November.
It's looking like this Friday (guess they want to push it out before MineCon).

I assume we'll be waiting on some bukkit stuff though? Unlikely we'll go to 1.7 this weekend? I need to sell off my balance and buy a shit-ton of fences (er, lumber) if so.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-10-23, 16:06

Very unlikely indeed! It'll probably be at least a few days if not the following weekend before we can update.
¡Damned!

2013-10-23, 20:34

OK, cool. I figured we had until mid-Nov to get our shit together before the new world, but whatever. I'm excited about this.

That said:

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-23, 21:35

Okay Grey, I talked to fakeBrad and he said that we're going to start around 4pm on Friday morning so you'd better hurry up and sell it all tonight.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-10-23, 21:52

I'm trying Drew. I'm trying.

Brad could help a brother out by putting fences and redstone blocks in the mart*, but no. He loves to watch me suffer.

*AT A REASONABLE PRICE. **

** FUCKER

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-10-24, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb
In case you were wondering, Minecraft 1.7 (1.7.1), "The Update that Changed the World", will be released tomorrow, at around 15:00 CEST
I hope you've sold all of your stuff already.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-10-24, 13:50

FWIW, bukkit doesn't even have dev builds available for 1.7 yet...

http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/

But tomorrow or Saturday? All bets are off!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-10-24, 13:53

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised to see 709 on the image macro bandwagon.

¡Damned!

2013-10-26, 00:14

Quote:
I'm trying Drew. I'm trying.
$0 motherfuckers!

I'm the king of rails now, so I guess my first order of business in the new world should be to build a high-speed rail in the Nether to and from old spawn. I kind've planned on that anyways since the Mart is at old spawn, but now I have the loot to make it happen easily.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-26, 04:03

Please use the zombie tiger wolfman resistant tracks!!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-26, 11:59

It's here.
Quote:
THE UPDATE THAT CHANGED THE WORLD

(This update includes 1.7 and 1.7.1)

+ Added lots of new biomes!
+ Added “AMPLIFIED” world type
+ Added Acacia and Old Oak wood types
+ Added Stained Glass
+ Added Packed Ice, Red Sand, Podzol
+ Added a bunch of new flowers, including double-height flowers and grass
+ Added more types of fish
+ Fishing rods can be enchanted
+ Achievements are now world specific
+ Gaining achievements now announced to other players
+ Added a few new achievements
+ Servers can now have a “server-icon.png” that is displayed in the multiplayer list
+ You can see who’s online before joining, just hover the player count number in the server list
+ New /summon command
+ Added Command Block minecart
+ Links in chat are now clickable
+ Click on somebody’s name to send a private message
+ Added a bunch of new graphics options
+ Added some shader tests (click on the “Super Secret Settings” a couple of times…)
* Biome placement has been improved, and oceans are smaller
* Portals to the Nether can now have different shapes
* Fishing is now more interesting
* Maps in item frames are now extra big
* The achievement screen is zoomable
* Preparations have been made to offer name change in the future
* You can now have multiple resource packs loaded at the same time
* Resource packs can now hold sound effects
* Servers can recommend resource packs
* Network code has been rewritten
* Sound manager has been rewritten
* Many many bug fixes…
- Removed the Rose flower
- Removed Herobrine
Re-reading this thread I'm thinking we keep 1,1 through -1,-1 and trim the rest. Cliffs can either be enjoyed or manually terraformed if we want. Move spawn only about 3K blocks from the current spawn. Sure we'd have Nether, but why not keep it within walking distance.

Last edited by turtle : 2013-10-26 at 13:07.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-26, 14:32

I have figured out a way to make a Nether safe rail system that will keep pigmen from spawning on the tracks.

The pigmen don't spawn on the glass but do spawn on the stone even though there are tracks down. Basically, if you can put a track on it they can spawn on it. So put a layer of glass one block above the track. You can't walk through it and they can't spawn because there is no room. However, you can't suffocate in glass and the cart goes right under it. This means you travel with no baddies in the way. Feel free to test it out for yourself. I did this with admin powers for that sake of speed. It's near the portal by main spawn heading to the village. I'm not sure who's portal is right by this, but if you head to the village you will see this.

It's just for design concept, not polished at all. Obvious improvements can be made.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-26, 23:58

If this works it's BRILLIANT!!!!