Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Pre-CGI Wolverine leaked online

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pre-CGI Wolverine leaked online
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-01, 17:18

Somebody is going to get clawed over this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7977265.stm

Quote:
An almost finished copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine starring Hugh Jackman has been leaked online a month before its cinema release.

The high quality copy of the film has been uploaded to several file sharing and streaming video websites.

The movie is incomplete, with some special effects still in need of fine tuning and green screens and wires attached to actors still visible.

The film is not due for release in the UK until 29 April and 1 May in the US.
Since being uploaded to file sharing websites on Tuesday, more than 75,000 copies of the film have already been downloaded and reviews by users have started appearing online.

One user wrote on aintitcool.com: "The CGI is missing and the movie looks horrible without it.

"Even if you see the workprint you're still going to have to go see it in the theatre to fully experience the full movie with CGI effects fully intact."

... continues
And no, it's not an April Fools gag... the story says the film has a caption dated 2 March 2009.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-04-01, 17:30

When I saw this origins thing (weeks ago)... man. Talk about an opportunity to go through every damn angle of the story / make money off every character. WTF. Is this X-men series going to be 28 movies long or something?

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-02, 23:17

I'm surprised at how backwards this all is...

a) Here, at such a geek-heavy site, there are only two replies to such a story

but

b) On all the news sites and networks, this is a "huge story", right up there with all the other top stories of the week, and involving the FBI (how high of a priority is this case, I wonder?).

We should eating this up (and trading scene analysis here), while the rest of the world shouldn't give a flaming flapjack.

But it's the total opposite! What's going on?!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-04-02, 23:32

This isn't surprising to people who are aware of the underbelly of the internet...

It is especially not surprising for those of us who remember sales of vhs movies before they hit the theaters.

I would like to believe that perhaps this little section of the internet isn't so naive...
Wrao
Yarp

2009-04-02, 23:36

And also, it's not like this movie is some geekfest, cult film. This is 100% mainstream pop cinema...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-02, 23:48

All I was saying is that I thought this story (leaked movie via the Internet, incomplete CGI, etc.) would be talked about more here, that's all. Usually threads about this stuff get a lot of play here.

As for the other poster, and the "naive" and other things...I don't know.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2009-04-02, 23:55

Maybe the studio was trying out some guerilla marketing technique, trying to increase the buzz on the movie...
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-03, 00:15

I remember speaking to a prominent record producer once, and he said that he had just finished his final mix of an album (I believe it was Dicky Betts... this was a decade ago), and by the time he had left the studio and gotten to Times Square, someone was selling copies of the bootleg there. I'm guessing it wasn't his final mix, but even back then they were damn fast! Now these days what with the computers and internets, it's even faster I suppose!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-03, 00:53

I am tempted to watch this from a purely academic standpoint as it would be really interesting to see the way the effects and stunts work prior to the CG being completed...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-03, 01:21

I was thinking the same thing.

I read online that harnesses were visible in scenes (connected to the actors and yet to be digitally erased). I think it would be near to see a big-budget action flick like this, sans CGI and a few production "rough edges".
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-03, 02:00

EDIT: I sort of misread what you and Paul were saying at first. I'll still leave my post though, because it is pertinent, but I'm not necessarily talking "to you" or whatever. Thx <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I am tempted to watch this from a purely academic standpoint as it would be really interesting to see the way the effects and stunts work prior to the CG being completed...
But that's not usually the way it works, though. It's not like they pick one take and then it's set in stone and they'll make the CGI fit that, with no plan B - because sometimes that doesn't work. Sometimes they later decide to use take two or two hundred or whatever.

You'd be amazed at how much movies can change based off of test screenings, for example. Let's take Wall-E, for example (you knew I would). The original script (well, not even that, as the original script was even more different, but we'll say the original final script) called for

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Eve to "die," instead of Wall-E, after she chooses that finding the plant is more important then her directive. Wall-E revives her by placing the lighter he brought from Earth (remember that? from the beginning of the film?) inside her storage compartment as an alternative energy source. After she is revived, it is then Wall-E who tries to get Eve to remember him, instead of the other way around.

Not only that, but they were entire cuts of the movie without the live action shots, as well as without the show tunes references, in case those didn't test well (or fly with the higher-ups at Disney). And Pixar's actually known for being more "stubborn" then other studios, and relying more on their "instinct."

Basically, until the movie is pressed and printed, it isn't final. People act like CGI is this gloss that's put over a film right before it's released, but it's not - chances are, they'll find out that the CGI isn't working very well with a certain take, or that someone else prefers a different take, and they'll switch it out (or cut it entirely). I'd be extremely surprised if what leaked onto the internet is exactly the same as the theatrical release of the film, sans CGI, because that's just not how it works. I think it's more likely that the leaker compiled pre-CGI shots to "fill in" the gaps in the final film (those chosen shots not necessarily being what the higher-ups will choose) or, more likely, the leaker leaked an earlier, test cut (that will undergo some changes before release).

That said, it's probably a pretty close analogue of what's going to appear in theaters next month, but unless we know exactly how "final" a cut that was (not just one that "looks final"), we can't know for sure. A movie can appear complete without necessarily being final - in fact, a feature film usually is "complete" in a few different forms before it's released. But the studios' actions seem to suggest it was pretty damn final, if they're getting the FBI involved...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-07, 07:06

And even a glowing review of the bootleg is enough to get you fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

A US columnist is out of a job after posting an online review of an illegally downloaded copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Roger Friedman, who wrote the piece on his regular column, had worked at the Fox news website for 10 years.

Fox News said that the company's representatives and Friedman "mutually agreed to part ways immediately".

It said that Friedman's behaviour was "reprehensible" and that it "condemned this act categorically".

The journalist wrote in his column on Thursday that downloading the 20th Century Fox film was "so much easier than going out in the rain".

'Exceeds expectations'

He added: "I doubt anyone else has seen this film. But everyone can relax. I am, in fact, amazed about how great Wolverine turned out. It exceeds expectations at every turn."

He also joked he might decide to catch up on some other recent films via illegal downloads.

... continues ...
Methinks he wasn't sacked for the review per se (not the same as embargoed PR violations)... but rather under pressure from the MPAA for highlighting the advantages of downloading versus cinema-going.

If I had a copy, I'd save watching it for comparison with the final release... purely for contrast from a 'behind the CGI curtain' educational perspective, of course.
Tempting though it is to do otherwise.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.