User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Neighbor's barking new puppy...what's the protocol here?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Neighbor's barking new puppy...what's the protocol here?
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-15, 15:41

He looks like a Chet.

First name/word that popped into my head when I saw him.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-15, 15:46

Chet? Hmm. That would be kind of like saying Shit with a certain accent.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-08-15, 15:47

You KNOW you wanna call him Iggy or Kipper.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-08-15, 15:49

I would call him Number 21 or Number 24. But then, I'm a bit odd.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-08-15, 15:50

He'd have to be 24 if you're going VB. Unless he gets way overfed...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-08-15, 16:42

Looks like a Bob to me.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-08-15, 16:55

He's so cute!

How about 'Bailey'?
¡Damned!

2008-08-15, 17:17

OMFGCUTE!!\
]

Not so sure about 7.....like you say, you'll have to get him in hand and see what he's like, but his eyes aren't really giving a whole lot a way about him now, are they? Interesting.

I immediately thought of "Blue," but that's probably too obvious (plus there's that one song....so forget it, too gay). Then I thought he looked like a "Charles"...(don't ask me, his eyes are giving me all the cues), and then I thought about "Sydney." Third one's the charm, so they say.

Honestly, I like "Molson" a bunch too. One of my best friends has a Chocolate Lab named "Porter," and it's fucking beautiful.

Two syllable named are great for dogs. You can inflect some serious shit into that last syllable, and they'll get it instantly.

A good, sharp, one syllable name is really good too. My ex always said that if we had children - boy or girl - she'd name them "Grey." Yeah, she's a weirdo .

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-15, 17:18

Bailey is actually a name we kicked around. Not too bad. Funny how most of the names are related to alcohol. Molson (Canadian), (Labatts) Blue, Bailey('s Irish Cream). And my Uncle Bob can really kick 'em back too. Man, I wonder what he'd think of me naming it Bob. Too funny.

Edit to 709: Hmm, I actually can't think of a gay Blue song. I'm not googling it either or it'll ruin it for me. I only really think of the beer, and of Don Cherry's dog Blue (though that was a girl).

I'm really leaning towards Molson and Bob. But really, the personality is going to be the deciding factor, so I think I'm only going to be compiling a list for now. I won't rush to name it for a while. The breeder says it's the largest and most laid back of the bunch right now, but it's still early. I don't think you can pin down their temperaments until 6-7 weeks.

Porter? That's pretty cool.
¡Damned!

2008-08-15, 17:26

It's like "me and you and a dog named Blue." I only remember it because one of our hunting Beagles growing up was named Blue, and my Mum used to whistle it. I know the tune, roughly, but I'm not that curious about it to Google it.

But yeah, Molson is a winner. I can totally picture you having a dog named Molson.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-08-15, 17:26

You should name him Puck.
¡Damned!

2008-08-15, 17:29

!!!

That's actually really good (for murbot).

I imagine it would relieve a lot of the swearing-around-the-kids pressure, as he could just say "What? I was calling the dog! Really!"

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-15, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It's like "me and you and a dog named Blue."
Oh fuck, thanks a lot. That name is officially in the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
You should name him Puck.
Well, related to hockey, I had thought of Cooper.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-08-15, 17:30

Ohhhh, he's so cute!! Good luck with the naming. It took us a day to name our first puppy.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-08-15, 17:51

Hoser!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-08-15, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Hoser!
Yes. This. Epic.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-15, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Hoser!
Oh man.

On. The. List.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-08-16, 04:18

Bit late to this thread, but...

Quote:
"hey, I'm just over here in the window sill, watching birds and hanging out; lemme know if you need me...oh, and tuna later, right?"
Hey, have you been talking to my cat!

Murbot, how about Brutal! I think he/she might grow into it!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-21, 22:38

Unbelievable. Here it is, 11:35 and that stupid dog - some nasty poodle with matted, dingy hair - is totally going at it. They haven't brought him in at 10:00 as they have been.

EDIT: I should never post while mad...I know better.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-08-21 at 22:51.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-21, 23:05

Hoser FTW.

Awesome dog, Mur. Congrats!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-08-22, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

EDIT: I should never post while mad...I know better.

I liked the original post better though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-08-22, 00:35

I know, but too angry and mean toward the puppy. And neighbors. I'd feel like a real heel, reading it in the morning. I need to learn to do that "count to 10" thing before my hands reach the keyboard...

So much for going to bed at midnight, BTW...here it is, two hours later, and I'm wide awake.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-22, 01:21

I had to learn to not get mad at my last apt. The people above woke us up at 5:45am EVERY DAY when the wife got up to go for a jog. If you get angry, you don't sleep. I just try to think about other things until I can fall back to sleep...

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems with them.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-26, 12:45

Oh great.

Apologies for the bumpification (I know that's often frowned-upon), but...

I knew the past few months were just too good to be true. I don't know if the original dog died, ran away or simply learned to chill the hell out (but I haven't heard him in a long time, which has been wonderful).

But, Christmas being what it is, guess who got a new, even more shrill and relentlessly barking $#%^&@ puppy yesterday?

Yay!

Un-damn-believable, these people...I guess they collect pain-in-the-ass dogs for a hobby, completely unaware (or not caring) about its effect on, oh, their neighbors? Apparently their sole, tried-and-true method of "bringing joy" to their biscuit-head kids is to give them another bark/yelp-happy puppy every six months or so, after the first one finally learns to quieten down? Goodness knows we wouldn't want it to get too quiet and peaceful around here. Can't have that...

Just great. Merry Christmas, glad tidings and fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-friggin'-la...

I've listened to this spastic rat-dog pretty much the past four hours, non-stop (yes, he's as bad as - if not worse than - the original one that this thread started from). I think I might just head out to a movie or the mall, just to get some peace and quiet.

Seems I'm once again on the losing side in the Dog Wars.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-26, 14:11

It's not the dog that's a PITA, it's the stupid shit owners who don't know how to raise a dog / don't understand that dogs aren't there just to be pet on a whim and left to their own devices the rest of the time. Even the worthless yappy dogs if given the proper motivation *cough*, will not do the relentless barking thing. That's a sure sign they're not handling the dog the right way / just using it as a play thing and ignoring it the rest of the time.

Send Caesar the dog whisperer an anonymous "surveillance video" with their address and maybe they'll make Caesar's Hall of Shame... how awesome would that be if they were humiliated on cable TV.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-12-26, 14:46

Well, they just got the little bastard yesterday (or last night), so I can't speak to any long-term issues (or whether or not they're going to properly train or spend time with him (but going on the previous situation, I think I already know the answer).

All I know is that the little hairball has been going at it for much of the morning and well into the afternoon.

It's a cold, wet day here and, you guessed it, he's out in the backyard, all alone. I've not seen a kid (or adult) yet back there with him.

It's just "something to have", apparently. You get it so you can say "yeah, we got a dog...", and (I assume) that's pretty much the purpose? Bragging rights? Some sort of unspoken membership into the "we got us a dang ol' dog in the backyard" club? I don't get the allure of buying a living, breathing animal (something you're supposed to care for, dote on, make "part of the family", etc.) and then just tossing it "out back" and seeing it every couple of days "if the weather ain't too bad").

Why not just get a few boards and/or some PVC piping from Home Depot and fashion some sort of vaguely "dog-shaped" object, since that seems to be the point (to have something in the backyard which you may, or may not, interact with, on any sort of regular basis). You'll save money on food and you won't piss off your exasperated neighbors.

See? I put some thinking into this! Which is more than I can say for some people (my neighbors)...

That would actually be a neat product idea: FauxPooch™, targeted at the more dipshit-oriented redneck and ghetto pet owners out there (goodness knows there are thousands and thousands out there, all across the country). It crosses all economic and cultural lines (the one unifying trait seems to be a somewhat purposeful, willfully "low-rent and proud of it!" bent, with a pinch of oblivitardation tossed in).

"It looks like a real dog, with none of the responsibility and work! Just place it in your yard and leave it there, just like you would a real one! But that's not all! Order in the next seven minutes and we'll send a matching food and water bowl for your FauxPooch absolutely free! And you don't have to put any food or water into it because...it's not a real dog! Order now, operators are...well, they're somewhere around here. FauxPooch™, for the dipshits of the world who can't - and won't - properly own a real dog. It's the next best thing!"

You think I'm joking...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-12-26 at 15:02.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-12-26, 15:05

You could make up a brochure and mail it to them, Paul.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2008-12-26, 15:13

Shouldn't you just put a nice doggy door in the fence so the dog can escape through your yard, get picked up by the pound (which you conveniently call) and then either picked up by the family when they are called (per his collar and license) or not be picked up and thus be gone.

They should probably get tired of picking the dog up, or tired of getting new ones when they "mysteriously" disappear after being turned loose in the backyard and ignored for several days.
Partial
Stallion

2008-12-26, 15:53

Anti-freeze soaked steak. Should take care of your problem right quick.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-12-26, 15:55

...until, of course, the police pop round and make a barking puppy the least of your problems...