Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

ATI vs. nVidia

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ATI vs. nVidia
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-16, 14:16

Which do you prefer, ATI or nVidia? See, I have both a GeForce 3 and a Radeon 8500, and while they're both good at some things, the differences between the two on some games is simply staggering.

Basically, some games run well with the nVidia and are shit on the ATI, and some are the other way around. Command And Conquer is nearly unplayable on the Radeon, but it's smooth and fast with the nVidia. Same goes for Halo. UT2004 is equal on both, and seems to rely more on the CPU than the graphics card for good performance. Quake III based games, like Medal Of Honor, are insanely better on the ATI. I can run MoH:AA at 1280x1024 with every setting at its highest with my 8500 and get perfect framerates, while the GeForce 3 can only run it at about 800x600 and medium settings if I want a decent framerate.

I'm thinking that Call Of Duty (which I really want to get) will run much better on the ATI than on the nVidia, since it's based on the Quake III engine like MoH. I guess I just have to decide which games I like more and would want to be able to play at a high framerate. On the one hand, I never play RTS games, so C&C isn't a concern, and even though I like Halo, I've played it a million and one times. But on the other hand, the Quake III engine is getting really old, and if it's the only thing this ATI card does well, then I'm not sure if I really want to stick with the Radeon.

There are some other differences outside of performance. Overall, the Radeon is better. It supports dual monitors and S-video out, which the PC-flashed GeForce 3 doesn't support. Also, the GeForce 3 will cause flickering at too-high refresh rates, so I have to set my refresh rate lower than the maximum when I use it. It still works out fine since lower-than-normal on my monitor is still higher than most monitors can go.

I reposted this here, now that the regular forums are up and in public view.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-16, 15:12

ATI

Because they are Canadian!

Err... well I have had really good luck with ATI and not so good luck with nVidia.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-16, 15:16

After seeing that Unreal 3 engine demo, I think nvidia is going to the galaxy far!

but, that's the way of these things, Nvidia will lick ATi for a release, then ATi comes back with some totally new turbo mega thing.

I can't really favor either, It's not like I have much of a choice anyway in this powerbook, the ATi graphics play just fine.
stoo

2004-05-16, 18:03

ATi, because I got an 8500 for £24 (for m, and most modern games work just fine on it (Far Cry, Deus Ex 2, etc.). Bargain of the year.
stoo

2004-05-16, 18:04

ATi, because I got an 8500 for £24 (for my PC), and most modern games work just fine on it (Far Cry, Deus Ex 2, etc.). Bargain of the year.

Woah, I just hit the 30s between posts limit. Must be the freshness of AI.org.
HoTT RoDeR

Send a message via AIM to HoTT RoDeR  
2004-05-16, 23:23

I seem to like the overall performance from ATI.
PowerMacMan

2004-05-17, 00:18

ATI, all the way.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-17, 01:18

I'm having an interesting problem with the Radeon - for some reason, it absolutely SUCKS at Command And Conquer. It's so slow that it is totally unplayable. The GeForce 3 seems to run it great, though. I actually think it's a bug, though, because the difference is so huge. Anyone else playing C&C on their ATI-equipped Mac? Comments on performance? Does installing the recent driver update help? I'm a bit nervous about installing it because of a number of problems that people have been having with it (one person at MacUpdate reported that his Displays preference pane disappeared).
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-05-17, 12:15

ATI has proven to have better mac drivers (believe it or not).....their cards also seem to be on a generational edge compared to nVidia now..... of course that rarely matters much for us as we dont get ATI's newest cards till way after they are outdated.

I'd go ATI, drivers seem to be more refined
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-05-19, 21:24

ATI. They have a "nicer" vibe.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-19, 21:33

I'm keeping the ATI. It should run Call Of Duty better, and that is an awesome game.

I'm not very concerned about C&C performance because I never play strategy games anyway.