Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LoCash
Page 11 of 13 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-12-16, 00:27

Does anyone else feel like doing something for Jack's parents? I've been thinking about Jack lately for different reasons, but I was thinking it must be kinda hard the first year not having your son around for the holidays. Do you think a present to his parents would be inappropriate and open wounds just healing or be nice?

If anyone is interested, post some ideas. I was thinking along the lines of something that lasts instead of flowers. Like a christmas ornament or something...maybe with a picture of jack and applenova on it...something so that would remind them that they have a whole community of people who remember Jack.

So really what do you think, opening wounds or a nice gesture?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-16, 00:31

I think it would be appreciated and is a nice idea, ast3r3x. They will certainly be thinking of him at this time (so it will not open wounds I don't think). They would also appreciate that others are thinking of him too, IMHO.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-12-16, 04:03

Don't know about sending something to his parents. Might not be our place.

I do know that the other day I was looking through the rep system, and how it had been used. Jack never once gave out negative reputation points to anyone. Every comment he made was positive.

Just thought that was something other people should know.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-16, 04:04

I'd agree with scratt - they'll certainly be thinking of him so there may be some solace in knowing others haven't forgotten him. If someone has a good idea for a present, I'm happy to help fund it.

edit:crossed with alc
ast3r3x

2005-12-16, 07:18

Well, we'll wait for a few more replies. I've never lost anything close to me like they have so I have no frame of reference.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-12-16, 09:22

i dont think its necessarily a bad idea, but depending on the recipient it may not have the desired outcome. when someone really close to me died, it took a very long time (years) for me to be able to hear someone talk about him without getting very upset. they'll probably be thinking about him this time of year, but we don't necessarily want to compound sadness by reminding them.
OmegaB

2005-12-16, 15:54

If we do do something I think it should be just a card with a donation. Something small that will not be too intrusive.

Though with all this Kong hype the chances of buying a huge soft-toy ape is good. With a few modifications.....

Rich

2005-12-17, 00:31

I dont really know jack but I could tell he was an awesome person. Sad to hear his passing.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-12-17, 01:01

This really brings up memories. I may not have joined AN officially until Jan '05. But I have been lurking for quite some time.

I think it would be a great idea to at least show his parents that so many people still remember Jack and the person that he was. I think his parent's would really appreciate it.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-12-17, 01:09

Yeah, maybe let's not, cynical_rock.

If you've every lost someone close, you know that it really takes time. A lot of time. Holidays are especially tough.

Part of the depth of the loss is the fact that Jack was such a special and unique cat. Irreplaceable.

With that kind of a spirit, I'm sure his family knows how many people are thinking of him.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-17, 01:11

I'm sure everyone means well with the idea of contacting Jack's parents, but I agree with NosferaDrew's sentiments. I don't think there's anything we could do that would help right now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2005-12-17, 01:19

I can see the side of NosferaDrew and Brad's comments in that I have lost someone close and have had to deal with it very much repeatedly... So I'll renege on the earlier idea...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
OmegaB

2005-12-17, 08:26

I would have to disagree.

Jack showed a lot of us that we should inspire to be a better person. I am sure his parents would understand that we too grieve his passing and miss him.

[/tears]
ast3r3x

2005-12-17, 09:25

Well the deal is that we can't really do something if we disagree. I asked because I didn't know if it was a good idea or not. I was saying theoretically what I think I'd like if I lost something near to me like that, however that has never happened so I don't know.

I think enough people think it's probably not the smoothest move to offer a gift that we shouldn't do it. Let's night fight over this as I nobody will convince anyone else. Now go enjoy your lives, make the most out of today
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-25, 18:41

merry christmas jack.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-12-25, 19:00

IIRC, Jack's parents visited 'Nova and/or were informed of our community contributions in his memory.

If they want to log in and read about our continuing tribute to him, they have that in their power.

Holiday/family time might be enough for them to deal with without reminders from us, no matter how well intentioned.

We miss you, dude. Here's hoping you're enjoying the season with Hendrix, Morrison, Lennon, etc.

Condolences to the family, but I'll echo the vote not to burden them on their first Xmas grieving.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-26, 19:06

If there IS some kind of place like *heaven*, a place where 'souls' hang out together, just think how things will change with Jack there.

Heaven will *never* be the same.

I imagine he'll spend some time wearing his priest outfit, and playing pranks on St. Peter at the pearly gates.

Of course, he'll have a 15" PowerBook handy to assist with his machinations. And maybe he'll start up a heavenly forum to foster even better communication in the great beyond.

Even now, he's probably bugging the angel Gabriel to write up a technical article for the front page of that great messageboard in the sky.

We love and miss you, Jack. Hope you're having fun up there, and that your pranks are not getting you into 'too' much trouble with *the big guy*.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-27, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
We love and miss you, Jack. Hope you're having fun up there, and that your pranks are not getting you into 'too' much trouble with *the big guy*.
I honestly think God laughed just as hard as we did every time Jack pulled a prank, they were too good to not laugh.

Merry Christmas Jack, we all miss you.

<finds self at loss for words>

Merry Christmas.

Come waste your time with me
taft

2006-02-26, 03:08

Happy birthday, Jack.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-02-26, 03:20

Cheers to a brilliant mind...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-02-26, 06:24

*drinks to that* - God bless his parents too.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-26, 09:16

Happy birthday man.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-02-26, 10:03

Thanks, Jack. You've got one hell of a legacy.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2006-02-26, 10:23

Yes indeed. I've been watching his birthday on my calendar, thinking of chatting with him. I send him an email every now and then (doesn't bounce).
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-26, 12:56

Love you, Jack.

~ Carol ~
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-26, 12:57

miss ya, man!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-05-31, 14:08

Saw you when I browsed in the early days without the user name. Its a year I see.

R.I.P
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by farenheit
Saw you when I browsed in the early days without the user name. Its a year I see.

R.I.P
A little over a year (it was a year on Sunday).

Jack, you are still greatly missed.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-02-08, 15:49

Just looking at the Folding stats today and I see that I just passed "LoCash" in the standings this week.

While I never interacted with Jack, I lurked for a while before signing on and he seemed to be a great person. Seeing his name in the folding stats just reminded me of that.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-02-25, 18:42

Tomorrow is Jack's birthday.

He would have been 26.

Happy Birthday, Jack. We miss you.