User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New products before end of August?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New products before end of August?
boggit100

2006-08-09, 09:15

I've heard from a friend that Apple's holding a Christmas Show of some sort for the UK press at the end of August - it obvious they'll launch something new for the holidays, but August seems a bit early, dont you reckon?
Mikester

2006-08-09, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggit100
I've heard from a friend that Apple's holding a Christmas Show of some sort for the UK press at the end of August - it obvious they'll launch something new for the holidays, but August seems a bit early, dont you reckon?
Not really - Harrods put its Christmas decs out this week.

Any evidence apart from "I heard from a friend"? Sounds exciting...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-09, 10:46

I think Target already has their Christmas stuff up, for a couple of months now.

I'm being a wise-ass, BUT I also wouldn't doubt it being the case (I haven't really looked...wouldn't surprise me).

It does get earlier every year, so late August doesn't surprise me a bit.

I do think Target and others have some of their Christmas stuff up these days well before Halloween, sure enough.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-08-09, 11:21

I hope Apple releases iPod-related stuff by Christmas. It seems like they are going to go a whole year without an iPod update.
initialsBB

2006-08-09, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbyrd
I hope Apple releases iPod-related stuff by Christmas. It seems like they are going to go a whole year without an iPod update.
it wouldn't surprise me that they announce something iPoddy, even if it ships later on say november... there's the PS3 launch and then the supposed Zune that would mean apple would have a better PR launch window before that onslaught of christmassy consumerist goodness.

don't forget that there's the european apple expo at the beginning of september too.

but the "i heard from a friend that..." doesn't work for me.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-09, 11:44

Yeah, Apple Expo Paris is September 12. I think it's almost a lock that the iMac and the MBP will get, at the very least, updates to C2D chips between now and then. As for iPods, I think Apple will wait until we actually get closer to Christmas. But you're argument to get it out before the PS3 and Zune is pretty good. My guess would be sometime in October. Puts Mac Pro, iMac, and MBP sales into Q3 and iPod sales into Q4. It would be a nice way to end up the year.
initialsBB

2006-08-09, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu
It would be a nice way to end up the year.
and what a year it's been so far !
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-09, 12:43

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a new kind of mobile phone...
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-08-09, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I do think Target and others have some of their Christmas stuff up these days well before Halloween, sure enough.
Side comment: I used to work at Target in their planogram department. This means I did overnights bringing out products and rearranging shelves. Christmas starts at Target on Labor Day weekend...halloween starts the next weekend, haha.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-09, 13:43

At least Crazy Eddie's is long gone. They used to have "Christmas in JulyYyYyYyYy!1!1!1!1" sales every year. That was tough to listen to on the radio and TV every Summer.
LaEsperanza
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-08-09, 13:46

No, but really, can you find anything online about this Christmas in August event?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-09, 13:49

Question: When was the iPod first revealed?

I know it's celebrating it's fifth birthday this fall. October, is it?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-08-09, 13:51

Yea, it was like 10/16/2001 when the first iPod was unveiled.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-08-09, 14:04

Yeah, October of 2001. Like I said, October sounds like a great time for an iPod announcement.
jcampa

2006-08-09, 16:38

Let's hope wee see new MBP by the end of august (just updates) and the iMac at Paris, and yes the iPod's by october.
Mikester

2006-08-10, 03:13

Could also be a UK iTunes announcement - finally getting TV shows on iTMS?
nassau

2006-08-10, 06:00

please make that worldwide, not just UK...
snowfix

2006-08-16, 08:00

I think that they'll announce a much more Europe Retail Stores, espacially in Germany. A newspaper there wrote that the german managemant is planning something like this.
But anyway I really hope they bring an update for the MBP
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-08-16, 08:24

If they announe new stores, that should be in canada. There are only 2 stores in the whole canada and the 2 stores are at Toronto. Like here, from quebec its between 10-15hrs of driving. I don't even think about the bc(vancouver, ...).

They need to open a store in montreal and vancouver(or somewhere else in the west)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-16, 08:59

For those of you languishing in Vancouver hoping for an Apple Store, there's one just the other side of the border in a mall on the way to Seattle. Just don't mention it to Canada Customs when you come back...right...?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-08-16, 10:02

Heck, there are four Apple stores in the Seattle are - only three hours from Vancouver! At least it's not as bad as back in 2003, when the closest Apple Store was in California.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-08-16, 10:07

Except for traffic in Everett. Horrid, horrid, horrid. Morons should have made a bypass by now.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-16, 13:02

I could see an announcement at the end of August - say, the 29th? That's three weeks after WWDC, and two weeks before Paris - so it'd be nicely spread out. That's also right around the time Merom should be hitting notebooks...

Maybe the MacBook Pro will go to Merom, and the MacBook will get a $100 price drop (on the 1.83) and 1 GB of RAM (on the 2.0s) so that it's not totally left out in the cold. Then, at Paris, Apple can introduce a new iMac/Mac/iPhone/whatever.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jcampa

2006-08-16, 14:07

I really hope we see new MBP with Merom processors by the end of august, but more important, to have it available that same day, I don't want to wait for a whole month to buy one.
mjteix

2006-08-16, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I could see an announcement at the end of August - say, the 29th? That's three weeks after WWDC, and two weeks before Paris - so it'd be nicely spread out. That's also right around the time Merom should be hitting notebooks...

Maybe the MacBook Pro will go to Merom, and the MacBook will get a $100 price drop (on the 1.83) and 1 GB of RAM (on the 2.0s) so that it's not totally left out in the cold. Then, at Paris, Apple can introduce a new iMac/Mac/iPhone/whatever.
I was under the impression that it would be (in chronological order):

1- iMac --- certainly with Conroe
2- MacBook Pro --- Merom
3- Mac mini --- speedbump to dual-core 1.66/1.83 Core Duo
4- MacBook --- Merom

iPods in october.

PS: I would love an Apple Store in Montréal!!!
And if it's not asking too much a mini store in Québec city (Apple resellers s...k here)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-16, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix
I was under the impression that it would be (in chronological order):

1- iMac --- certainly with Conroe
2- MacBook Pro --- Merom
3- Mac mini --- speedbump to dual-core 1.66/1.83 Core Duo
4- MacBook --- Merom
Your guess is as good as mine. It probably depends on how significant the upgrades are - for example, if the iMac is redesigned or something (is it really two years old already?), Apple will probably want to unveil it at PAE or a special event; not just a regular Tuesday Bump.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
snowfix

2006-08-26, 09:04

My problem is that i want to buy me a MacBook or a MBP, on one side I dont wanna wait that long until finally a new Generation is out but on the otherside I dont want to pay money for the Upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.
So I can just hope they'll bring this 100$ price drop as soon as possible.
I like it when Steve would say something like " We know we've said we want release Leopard in Spring 2007 but why should we wait, were finished. Here it is!"
on the Special Event in October or November
mAc-warrior

2006-08-26, 20:28

I think it's logical for new iPods (be they Nano, 6th Gen., or both...) to appear on October 16, as stated in a previous post. This is perfect timing for the release, and the fact that it coincides with the iPod's 5th birthday makes immediate sense to me. Look for a "Special Event" invitation around October 5th.

--mAc
Mikester

2006-08-29, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Yea, it was like 10/16/2001 when the first iPod was unveiled.
Wasn't it 23 October?