User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Adobe Director: Alive and Kicking (11.5 Upgrade)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adobe Director: Alive and Kicking (11.5 Upgrade)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-03-25, 11:43

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/

Feature Details:
http://www.adobe.com/products/director/features/

Seems Director is still alive and this update is quite a bit more substantial than the last one. Interesting to watching this product evolve right now. It's sort of an amalgam between Flash, AE, and various web learning technologies. One wonders if they'll ever bundle it with the suite. Not sure why they don't.

...into the light of a dark black night.
¡Damned!

2009-03-25, 11:58

I know a couple of people that will be very happy about this.

I haven't played around with it since the Macromedia days, and even then not enough to consider myself proficient at it. The Lingo documentation scared the hell out of me. Pretty cool, though. I've worked on enough projects that were built in Director to be somewhat excited. Intel only, though. I guess that's the shape of things nowadays.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-03-25, 13:01

Yah, Intel-only is a foregone conclusion for every major app at this point. I agree Lingo is a little intimidating at first. Back around version 7 I was using Director for some projects and tinkered with Lingo a bit. It's not as bad as learning JS or similar, though now I think you can actually use JS instead if you want to.

Just checked out the demo. Surprisingly, they still haven't brought this app up to speed with the new Adobe UI or anything approximate. Same old POS Macromedia UI. Maybe that's why they haven't integrated it into the suite; they're still doing under-the-hood work to bring it up to speed AFA Dynamic Link, new UI, etc. Bet version 12 is the new UI and 64-bit port. The market is such a niche now that it hardly matters if they don't provide lots of big new features. The people who would walk away from such things have already walked away long ago and taken up Flash. As I recall the Director community is pretty hard-core.

...into the light of a dark black night.