American Censorship Day

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
American Censorship Day
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Jason
Veteran Member

2011-11-16, 17:36

What has happened to the AN forums?
I now get a huge banner floating over the top of the forums and all images are broken.
There is also no pull-down menu for the mobile edition.

Regards
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 18:05

I knew about the bill, but the links present in the "offending" image gave me more good morning-coffee reading than I've had in a long time.

It's only one day, ffs, but if this bill becomes law the internet as we know it will be fucked. I'm perfectly fine with the warning on every page. You think that's annoying? Wait until this bill passes.

So it goes.
Jason
Veteran Member

2011-11-16, 18:46

Well it might be ffs for you but I didn't know anything about this and I haven't followed the news about it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-16, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Well it might be ffs for you but I didn't know anything about this and I haven't followed the news about it.
Did you read any of the links?

Here's a repost now that I've taken off the floating box:

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 18:59

Well then I guess you won't be bothered when you can't access the sites that you like and visit regularly. Because crying "I didn't know anything about this!" will totally be effective after the fact.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 19:15

Aaaand. Now it's gone. Maybe crying is effective!!!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-11-16, 19:16

Oh, good. We're done screwing around. Whew.

*wipes brow*

Brad, you sure know how to screw up a guy's day! First visit this morning I thought one of you admin types had gone and flubbed something up royally! Had to read very, very carefully to realize you was all just up and messin' with us!

Meany!

But, the point has been made. I can hardly wait for this one to pass!

P.S. Quite a bit of fun trying to figure out which smilie is which.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 19:19

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-16, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Well then I guess you won't be bothered when you can't access the sites that you like and visit regularly. Because crying "I didn't know anything about this!" will totally be effective after the fact.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Brad, you sure know how to screw up a guy's day! First visit this morning I thought one of you admin types had gone and flubbed something up royally! Had to read very, very carefully to realize you was all just up and messin' with us!
Don't blame me. Blame US congress for proposing such fucked-up legislation. One day of fake banners is nothing compared to the headaches websites will get if PROTECT-IP/SOPA become law.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-16, 19:28

And I've fixed the "broken" images now.

For those of you who missed out, here's what AN looked like from about 1 AM EST until 7 PM EST today:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-11-16, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Don't blame me. Blame US congress for proposing such fucked-up legislation. One day of fake banners is nothing compared to the headaches websites will get if PROTECT-IP/SOPA become law.
Not blaming you at all. Just joking with you.

And I totally get where you were going. One thing you missed, though, is that the banner would not be superimposed over the site. You would just get the banner—and nothing else!

This kind of legislation is so bad, it hurts. I would have to say that, if this thing passes (which it won't in its current form) the interwebs as we 'Muricans know it would be all kinds of shafted.

edit: By the way, aren't those two US Seals trademarked and copyrighted? You trying to get us blocked, dude?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-16, 19:49

Quote:
One thing you missed, though, is that the banner would not be superimposed over the site. You would just get the banner—and nothing else!
What browser are you using? The site displayed fine behind the banner in Chrome, Firefox, Safari 5.1, and IE8 (I think it was IE8, at least — I just fired up my dusty old Windows VM to give it a quick pass).

Oh, duh. I get it now.

Quote:
edit: By the way, aren't those two US Seals trademarked and copyrighted? You trying to get us blocked, dude?
I actually thought about this. They may be copyright http://americancensorship.org/ but since the site is run by FightForTheFuture (sponsored by and "friends with" Creative Commons) I figured they'd be cool with it.

¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 20:01

Quote:
They were changed enough to fall under "satire" - which is thankfully protected under the 1st amendment.

That said, we may as well throw the 1st in the trash if this bill is passed.

Which is ironic, because if you've watched any of the (R) debates you'd realize that satire is alive and well. If any of those people aren't vying for a psychotic cartoon franchise based on themselves ala South Park I don't know what they're fucking on about.

So it goes.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-11-16, 20:07

I'm not really looking to get 'into it' about the ideals of freedom on the internet and the problems with censorship and limiting what people can do and all of that, but it does seem to me that people are, on a whole, far more willing to freely give up their freedom in exchange for simple comforts or conveniences. Also, that this isn't inherently a bad thing either.

It's a weird topic. I think you can liken the internet in some ways to America at the turn of the century, when the populace made a major push towards living in cities and sacrificing some aspects of freedom they might have had in more rural environments. Not a perfect analogy, notably because the internet is global and borderless(for the most part) but I think the fundamental notion that people are perfectly content with fudging some freedoms for the sake of some luxuries isn't untrue either.

Cool theme though, I saw it pretty late at night yesterday and it took me a second or two longer than I'd like to admit before I 'got it'.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-11-16, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
They were changed enough to fall under "satire" - which is thankfully protected under the 1st amendment.

That said, we may as well throw the 1st in the trash if this bill is passed.

Which is ironic, because if you've watched any of the (R) debates you'd realize that satire is alive and well. If any of those people aren't vying for a psychotic cartoon franchise based on themselves ala South Park I don't know what they're fucking on about.
I think a certain group of conservatives (not all, mind you) has decided that there are no real villains except liberals, and the stereotypical villainy in cartoons is a desirable trait since they tend to do not terribly liberal things...
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
... notably because the internet is global and borderless(for the most part) ...
I think herein lies the rub. The internet is awesome because I can talk to you, Brad, chucker, murbot, etc. etc. etc. and you are all over the fucking world. And I can talk to you instantly, or at least as much as a this website allows.

Now, fast forward 12 months. Content providers control everything. pscates' awesome and honest movie reviews? He posted a wildly available promo pic with his review but gave the flick 2 stars. Urm, that site posted our property. Shut the URL down. Guilty until proven innocent is the new way.

Fuck and fucking fuck that. These are the book burners and the anti-intellect. They are everything America as a country is not.

Revolution? Censor the internet like China and you will visit the wrath of your stupid God that you revere so much on your fucking heads.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I think a certain group of conservatives (not all, mind you) has decided that there are no real villains except liberals, and the stereotypical villainy in cartoons is a desirable trait since they tend to do not terribly liberal things...
How awesome would it be though if there was a cartoon based on the (R) candidates? "Robot Laser Eyes" Bachmann, "The Lip Licker" Cain, "2 Out of 3 Ain't Bad" Perry, ZOMG. I would totally watch that shit.

They could fight Health Reform Monster! Occupyopus! I'm booking a flight to LA right his second to pitch this.

They'd be like The Justice League, but with no regard for justice! So. Fucking. Awesome.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-11-16, 21:13

Is it bad that every time I hear Herman Cain speak I secretly pray that he'll say "Bring me Solo and the Wookie" ?

Last edited by 709 : 2011-11-16 at 21:27.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-11-16, 21:40

In other news, has this been a slow posting day? Or am I imagining things?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-16, 21:45

It was really shit to try to post with the pop-up. That and until about noon, you couldn't actually get around it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-16, 21:53

Shutup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: oh, the pop-up is gone. Sorry.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-11-17, 00:12

I didn't realize that the bill had such strong bipartisan support. Looks like the internet is fucked, between this and all those limp net neutrality rules the future sounds bleak.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-11-17, 00:16

The future is infinitely malleable.

Elect new leaders.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-11-17, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
It was really shit to try to post with the pop-up. That and until about noon, you couldn't actually get around it.
I manually edited the markup each time by hitting backspace twice in the Web Inspector.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-17, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Elect new leaders.

It's rare that I find a candidate whom I think to actually be worthy of a vote, and when I do vote, it's often just voting against the other guy that's even worse oh god no please I don't want HIM/HER in office. It's the classic symptom of a two-party, first-past-the-post voting system, and there's zero motivation within the leading parties to change that because, well, the system works to their benefit.

The few intelligent, charismatic, and visionary people for whom I do have great respect and think would be good leaders generally have no interest in politics. Rightfully so. It would probably ruin them.

*shrug*

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-11-17, 08:30

Ooh. I have never turned on my develop menu item...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-11-18, 17:13

Hmmm. Turns out our own beloved Apple also supports SOPA indirectly: http://www.osnews.com/story/25345/EU...ine_Piracy_Act

Wondering what's the best means of contact for complaining to them. Anyone here know Tim Cook's work email? He might not be as responsive as Steve, but as far as I see it, it's his goddamn duty to read our written swill now...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-18, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Hmmm. Turns out our own beloved Apple also supports SOPA indirectly: http://www.osnews.com/story/25345/EU...ine_Piracy_Act
Makes perfect sense to me. Apple isn't in the business of hosting and distributing user-generated content.

Companies like Google and Twitter and Flickr and Tumblr etc. are all built entirely around user-generated content, and SOPA threatens the Safe Harbor protection they currently enjoy. So, it makes sense that these companies would speak out against SOPA.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-11-18, 18:11

Still, it's quite a stretch to say that Apple is "supports it indirectly" just because they are a BSA member. They're unlikely to completely agree with every single one of BSA's policy decisions of the past >20 years.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-11-18, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Still, it's quite a stretch to say that Apple is "supports it indirectly" just because they are a BSA member. They're unlikely to completely agree with every single one of BSA's policy decisions of the past >20 years.
But… but… Apple didn't put a banner on the site this week proclaiming opposition to SOPA!

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence!