Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-07-04, 01:21

Robo, you should play! D:
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-04, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Gentleman's honor. We work together until the last, and if you are still standing we do 20 paces. No armor, no weapons, no shit. Mano y mano. We flail at each other like highschool scratch-whores. OK?

You're on, bitch!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-07-04, 19:26

Sorry guys, I'm going to be spending all friday getting ready for a family reunion
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-04, 22:14

Does that mean you're gonna be drinking a lot? 'Cause if it does, we'll need you to interpret Grey's imbibalogue!
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-07-06, 12:01

I should be in. I'm tracing graphics issues right now on the Hackintosh, but can revert back to the MacBook if necessary.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-06, 12:47

Good! Updated roster includes:
  • BradSmith
  • Captain_Drew
  • Elysium25
  • gerlocian (maybe)
  • grendagle7
  • greychristian
  • JewelTheDragon
  • RowdyScot
  • SpecMode
  • turle2472
  • Whammerslammer

gerlocian is a maybe. He's interested, but he needs to verify that his schedule is wide open for Friday night. So, we still need at least one more member (two if gerlocian drops out) to join if we're going to have a nice even four teams of three. I'm squarely looking at you, Robo.

Also, RowdyScot, did you previously say something about a friend that might want to join us?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-06, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
HahahahahahaNO. I don't want you all to find out that I'm secretly terrible at Minecraft

also my voice sounds super girly on skype
I'm trying to decide which angle to spin my response. Do I say that I postponed voice chat for so long because I hate the sound of my voice too? Or do I admit that I also think I'm terrible at Minecraft because I get to "cheat" all the time as the server op? Maybe I should play good-cop and say that we really need him and that perceived skill level isn't as big a deal as it seems. Or maybe I should play bad-cop by guilting him and say that Robo will totally regret not joining the party, passing up a rare opportunity to work closely with his online buddies.

But seriously. If you have the time and resources (did you ever get that better computer? how's the internet connection?), there's really no reason not to join the party.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-06, 13:54

Speaking of voices, I've been trying to decide if I'm going to talk differently this time around and I think that I will, for BN#2 employ a more enhanced version of my speaking voice.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-06, 17:31

Not until BattleNova 3, Brad. Their internet isn't able to handle MC where they are, but they are moving back to Ohio and much better internet in 2 weeks. They will be watching me on Twitch, though.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-09, 16:17

Okay.

So, Jess may not be able to make it. Her and her mother were on their way back from Portland and hit some road debris. Car was damaged and they had to return to Portland until Friday. If they're home in time, all is well. If not, then we're one person down.

Unfortunately, I will not know until close to game time.

Update: Never mind. The car was fixed a day early, so they will be back, today. Yayz!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2014-07-10 at 09:35.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-10, 19:53

So, I think I've got everything set to stream with Twitch tomorrow. The only thing I need is to finalize my testing with audio from TeamSpeak. Anyone game? T was just on to help with it, but I couldn't quite get it before he had to run. I think I got a solution to test, though.

Also...I suppose this goes without saying for rules, but no watching another player's Twitch stream during BattleNova.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-10, 22:01

Urgh. Well, I'll be streaming, but it'll only be audio from me. I can get it to take audio from both the mic and TeamSpeak, but not without endlessly repeating the same speaking every 15 seconds. Research is showing that without something like Wiretap Anywhere, there's no way to get that to work with Twitch in the means available.

¡Damned!

2014-07-11, 10:48

I'm not going to be able to make it on tonite. Sorry gang.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-11, 11:16

Ugh!

No Whammer hunting for you!

Hope all is well.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 11:27

Dang.

Updated roster now sits at:
  • BradSmith
  • Captain_Drew
  • Elysium25
  • gerlocian
  • grendagle7
  • JewelTheDragon
  • RowdyScot
  • SpecMode
  • turle2472
  • Whammerslammer

It's going to be tough to split the teams with 10 players. 5/5? 3/3/4? Five teams of two? Every man for himself?

I'd prefer 3/3/4 to keep a similar dynamic as last time. Although, an even 5/5 split sounds interesting.

Can anyone drag in one or two more players to even it out to 3/3/3/3?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 11:33

Also, I'll be posting instructions later this evening for setting up the game. It seems like there's a pretty major performance regression in the latest weekly snapshot. So, we may be using the previous week's build.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-11, 12:25

I say use the previous week's build for performance reasons. Spawn us somewhere's else so we don't see any familiar territory.

As with last time, Jess and I have to be out around 9-ish. In the interest of fairness to other players, we are happy to team up as a "2-member-team" so other teams are not affected if we should have to bail out. We're in it for the fun and don't want to cripple any "serious" competition that might be going on. However, we will be fine with whatever arrangement you come up with.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-11, 13:12

I have reached out to Wes "I Fell and Hurt Myself" Wilson, who is doing a photoshoot for a restaurant tonight but is checking to see if he can make it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I say use the previous week's build for performance reasons. Spawn us somewhere's else so we don't see any familiar territory.
Oh, it'll be a totally different world with a new seed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
As with last time, Jess and I have to be out around 9-ish. In the interest of fairness to other players, we are happy to team up as a "2-member-team" so other teams are not affected if we should have to bail out. We're in it for the fun and don't want to cripple any "serious" competition that might be going on. However, we will be fine with whatever arrangement you come up with.
Thanks for letting me know! If we could get one more player, we'd have a solid 3/3/3/2 with the two of you on your own team. I'm still pondering the team sizes, though. An even 50/50 split is sounding more interesting... maybe with PvP enabled to increase the risk within teams... decisions decisions.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-07-11, 15:40

Perhaps Wes Wilson will be able to make it. Then we'll be good to go.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 17:00

Here's how I think we should tackle BattleNova 2. Now that we've done this once, we can be a little more organized about it.

Pre-game!
  • I'll post the final teams in this thread at 8:30.
  • Everyone should try to be online and in the TeamSpeak chat by 8:50. If you don't have TeamSpeak set up, here's my original post about it.
  • At 9:00, I'll open the server up for people to join.
  • Assuming everyone is online and we don't need to re-shuffle the teams, I'll spread everyone out on the map.
  • At this point, everyone should stay in the main chat room and *don't* start wandering around and mining. Since last time we crushed the server on start, let's give the server 5 minutes to generate the terrain and catch up.

Game time!
  • After the server has warmed up, I'll announce that it's time to split up, and everyone should join their TeamSpeak team room. I'll reset everyone's inventories, health, and hunger.
  • When I announce "Start!" in the chat, everyone is free to go!
  • If someone on your team is recording or broadcasting the game, take a brief moment after the start for everyone to introduce him/herself. It'll help everyone recognize whose voice belongs to whom.
  • If you have game problems (chunks not loading, graphics glitching out, etc.), please use the in-game text chat to announce it and ask for help. If you seem to be having client-side issues, say so in the text chat and restart your game if necessary. Please also let us know if/when the problem is resolved.

Post-death and post-game!
  • When you die, you can hang around for a minute or two to say goodbye to your team, but then please log out of the game.
  • Then join the main TeamSpeak room and hang out for a stretch!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-07-11, 17:08

Sorry I am at work guys
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-11, 18:00

I like 5/5 personally!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 18:32

Here are your Minecraft setup instructions! These are similar to but not quite the same as http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...t instructions. We're going back two weeks to snapshot 14w26c because this week's builds have a bug that keeps too many chunks loaded and last week's builds had a bug that causes servers to fail to log.

1. Start the Minecraft launcher.
2. In the lower left, click New Profile (or Edit Profile if you've already created and selected a snapshot profile).
3. Name the profile something obvious like "Snapshot".
4. In Version Selection, check the box for "Enable experimental development versions (snapshots)"
5. In Version Selection, select snapshot 14w26c" from the use version menu.
6. Save Profile!
7. Verify that your new profile is selected from the Profile menu in the lower left. The welcome message in the lower right corner of the screen should change to say "Ready to play Minecraft 14w26c"
8. Play!

Be careful about playing any saved single-player worlds. If you play with a snapshot and then go back to an older version, you could break your world. Caveat emptor!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-07-11, 19:01

I will be streaming on Twitch, and recording the stream for those who miss, though it will only have my voice this time. From my research, this is one of the difficulties for Mac users with Twitch. Audio can be a hassle due to being forced to use Soundflower, which was last updated for 10.6.8.

The stream will be here. I will likely not be reading chats during play, but a follow is appreciated!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-07-11, 19:09

I'm not sure if I'll stream or not, but likely will. My username is the same as my former name here.

I am going to be recording the game with audio from me and the players in TeamSpeak with me. Game noises too for that matter. I'll chop it up and post more later. I'll try to do the fancy board things like we posted before. I haven't done it before so who knows. I will be using Final Cut Express though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 19:18

I'm currently running a tool that will hopefully pre-generate enough of the world terrain so we don't suffer that crippling lag when we get started. *crosses fingers*

Also, I'll be recording video too. No streaming, though. I'll chop it into segments like before and post on YouTube.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-11, 19:32

I named my profile BattleNova™ #2.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-07-11, 19:39

Teams! We have two of them! In alphabetic order, they are:

TEAM CYAN:
Captain_Drew
gerlocian
grendagle7
RowdyScot
SpecMode

TEAM RED:
BradSmith
Elysium25
JewelTheDragon
turtle2472
Whammerslammer

(Also, I'm running a little behind schedule with the server… but it's almost there!)

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-07-11, 19:43

I'm dubbing this season "Bedlam".