User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Chris Lattner leaving Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Chris Lattner leaving Apple
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-01-10, 16:52

Whoever hired him way back when was a genius. From optimizing the OpenGL pipeline using LLVM through creating a new compiler, debugger and static analyzer in clang, lldb, clang-sa all the way to creating a whole new language with Swift as well as forward-thinking, Bret Victor-inspired concepts like Playgrounds, he contributed so much.

And now he's leaving.

Possibly concerning, but arguably not that different from, say, Bertrand Serlet moving on back in the day. Talent like that is hard to retain in perpetuity.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-01-10, 17:13

(He's moving to Tesla. Wonder how Apple's car thing is going?)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-11, 09:02

As much as I would like to see this as old apple favorites moving away from a company that changed it's focus, I see this as a move for a guy to move up the ladder and make more money. It did strike me as a slap in the face of Apple at first, but the more I think about it I'm sure it's just poaching on Tesla's part for their own good.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2017-01-11, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
As much as I would like to see this as old apple favorites moving away from a company that changed it's focus, I see this as a move for a guy to move up the ladder and make more money. It did strike me as a slap in the face of Apple at first, but the more I think about it I'm sure it's just poaching on Tesla's part for their own good.
Well, he was Director, which is somewhat high (fourth level? CxO, SVP, VP, Director?) in their chain. I'm not convinced money was the problem.

For the three and a half fans of Apple's car project, it does seem slightly odd that he'd find it easier to work on a car-related project at a competitor, rather than choosing to simply move to a different team. But as for him leaving the current team, I really think this is about him having achieved what there was for him to achieve, not that there was anything wrong with the results. He was bored. Perhaps even bored of Apple.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2017-01-11, 22:50

He's going to be what was it? "Director of Artificial Vision Software" or something? Maybe he's just tired of working on compilers day in and day out.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-01-11, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I don't.

I see this as one of the most devastating pieces of news for Apple in a while. It makes it very clear that the Apple car project (Project Titan) is a dead end. And the way Tesla released that press release the day of his departure from Apple was a very intentional middle finger and twist of the knife in Apple's back.

Apple has lost its magic and the truly gifted see excitement and opportunity elsewhere.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-01-11, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Perhaps even bored of Apple.
Some people just can't stand staying in the same work situation no matter how good it is for 10 years.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-01-11, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Some people just can't stand staying in the same work situation no matter how good it is for 10 years.
That's still a statement on Apple and less so on Lattner.
chucker

2017-01-12, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
That's still a statement on Apple and less so on Lattner.
So you think Apple had "lost its magic" when Serlet did the same thing in 2011?
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-01-12, 03:07

Or Rubinstein or Avie Tevanian or Ron Johnson or...