AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Found a great deal, share it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 5 of 17 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-08, 18:30

I'm very conflicted about buying this nanobundle.

Can anyone think of any advantages to using RipIt over MacTheRipper?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-08, 19:04

I've had a few people ask me about the bundle on Twitter. Having not really used any of the apps, what do you guys think of it? Is it worth the price?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-08, 20:59

RipIt is worth the price if you asked me. They are really good about getting the DVDs ripped whole. This lets you use something like Handbreak to part out and convert or just burn to DVD for backup. Painless and simple. Seems to work with far more DVDs that MacTheRipper does. I've missed more disks with MTR than RipIt.

CoverScout is worth it too. I'm pretty sure those are the only apps I'll use regularly though I don't know if RapidWeaver gets unlocked. I might use it over Espresso.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-03-08, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
RipIt is worth the price if you asked me. They are really good about getting the DVDs ripped whole. This lets you use something like Handbreak to part out and convert or just burn to DVD for backup. Painless and simple. Seems to work with far more DVDs that MacTheRipper does. I've missed more disks with MTR than RipIt.

CoverScout is worth it too. I'm pretty sure those are the only apps I'll use regularly though I don't know if RapidWeaver gets unlocked. I might use it over Espresso.
Out of the box, it's failed 2/2 now. One the disk was damaged, the other it couldn't complete. I'm not having good luck recently with software.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-08, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Out of the box, it's failed 2/2 now. One the disk was damaged, the other it couldn't complete. I'm not having good luck recently with software.
Wow. That's pretty bad man. I don't know what to tell you other than if you send the disk into to them they are pretty good about getting it cracked quickly.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-09, 09:56

I was doing some reading this morning and it seems as if Tweetie will be added to the Nanobundle. I doubt it will be Tweetie Two, but even still, if you haven't gotten Tweetie for Mac, the bundle is worth it just for that.

EDIT: So, after reading the Macheist forums, it appears as if Tweetie will be added once Dreamweaver is unlocked (another 4700 bundles need to be sold) They won't say what the unlocking level is, but it should happen.

What makes the deal worth it, is that it's a free upgrade license to Tweetie 2 when it comes out and it also gives access to the Tweetie 2 beta in about a month.

I always wanted to get RipIt and DreamWeaver, so getting Tweetie 2 out of the deal as well is a no brainer. I was going to buy Tweetie 2 regardless, but this makes a much better deal.

Last edited by kieran : 2010-03-09 at 10:52.
¡Damned!

2010-03-10, 13:05

Last day for the MacHeist nanoBundle, if anyone is interested.

Like kieran mentions above, Tweetie(2) is now part of the bundle, plus there's a couple of Freeverse games (Airburst Extreme & Burning Monkey Solitaire) and a little menubar app (Tracks) you can snag for free by twitter-spamming.

Load up! $19.95 for everything (or $17.95 if you've purchased a previous bundle).

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-10, 14:47

I paid $20 and I got a previous bundle! Of course it was the free one.

11 apps is hardly a "nano" bundle. This is essentially MacHeist 4, I mean really.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-03-10, 15:03

I'm on the fence because besides MacJournal I can't tell if I would ever use any of the apps, and do I want to buy a bundle based on "well I might, someday, maybe use this"?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-03-10, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I'm on the fence because besides MacJournal I can't tell if I would ever use any of the apps, and do I want to buy a bundle based on "well I might, someday, maybe use this"?
I've bought the last 2 MacHeist bundles on that basis alone. Has it been a waste of money? I don't think so but that's because I love software.

And if you think that MJ is worth buying, the bundle definitely is since it's half the price of MJ alone (though, given your love for Scrivener, I don't know where MJ would fit).

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-10, 16:01

I needed RipIt and an FTP app (and wanted RapidWeaver) anyway so yeah, it was a total no-brainer for me. Plus, Monkey Island!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-10, 16:03

I will say that over the years, there have often been times that an app. that I got from one of the MacHeist bundles came in handy later on, or was if nothing else useful in testing.

They're dirt cheap, and if you need them ever it's nice to have a registration key on hand and ready to go, esp. since they're altogether cheaper than the app. I usually wanted just by itself.

Google is your frenemy.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-10, 16:33

I forgot that RipIt was included. I bought it because I wanted Mac Journal and Dreamweaver eventually anyways.

Plus, getting Tweetie 2 out of it wasn't a bad deal.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-10, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I forgot that RipIt was included. I bought it because I wanted Mac Journal and Dreamweaver eventually anyways.

Plus, getting Tweetie 2 out of it wasn't a bad deal.
I think you mean Rapidweaver, correct?

Doubt Adobe is hard enough up to include Dreamweaver in a MacHeist bundle just yet.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-03-10, 18:13

Yup. Just typed it out too fast.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-03-10, 18:32

http://www.couponsherpa.com/ask-coup...enus-revealed/

Not exactly deals, but I'm intrigued.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-03-10, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
And if you think that MJ is worth buying, the bundle definitely is since it's half the price of MJ alone (though, given your love for Scrivener, I don't know where MJ would fit).
I keep telling myself I'll update my blog and then I don't, so I'm hoping MacJournal will get me to more often because look, I don't have to go navigate to and log into LJ, I can just do it from an app... or so's the theory.

Played with the MJ and the RapidWeaver demos and pounced. I can see having use for RapidWeaver in the future. It's easy and it will help with projects I've been intending to do.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-10, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
http://www.couponsherpa.com/ask-coup...enus-revealed/

Not exactly deals, but I'm intrigued.
Intriguing! And (in some cases) revolting. Some of the comments are just abhorrent, though...

I do know that I want ice cream now Hmm...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-10, 19:00

This is my first nanobundle, I'm just curious. Should I write down all of my serials right now, or can I always go log in and see them, if I need them?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-10, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I keep telling myself I'll update my blog and then I don't, so I'm hoping MacJournal will get me to more often because look, I don't have to go navigate to and log into LJ, I can just do it from an app... or so's the theory.

Played with the MJ and the RapidWeaver demos and pounced. I can see having use for RapidWeaver in the future. It's easy and it will help with projects I've been intending to do.
Ahaha, every single word in that post applies to me too
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2010-03-10, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
This is my first nanobundle, I'm just curious. Should I write down all of my serials right now, or can I always go log in and see them, if I need them?
I always go to the page that lists them out and then save it as a PDF when printing. Much safer to have it on hand that way. I also always save the original install images in the same folder.

Sometimes an app. gets updated and they stop making the older version you had registered available, or the company can go under etc.

Google is your frenemy.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-10, 20:15

Thanks for the advice. Did as suggested.
¡Damned!

2010-03-29, 09:45

Figured I'd post this here for those Mario-heads () among us:

One day only and 10 bones (as all RIPT t-shirts are).

So it goes.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-30, 17:25

DJ Hero Renegade Editions are on sale at Best Buy for $79.

The Renegade Edition, despite the cool case/stand thing, wouldn't normally be worth the huge premium ($200?!), but for cheaper than the regular game...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-30, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
DJ Hero Renegade Editions are on sale at Best Buy for $79.

The Renegade Edition, despite the cool case/stand thing, wouldn't normally be worth the huge premium ($200?!), but for cheaper than the regular game...
DJ Hero is still $79?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-30, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
DJ Hero is still $79?
At my Best Buy, the regular game and controller set was still $99, down from (I think) $119 at launch (or $199 for the Renegade Edition).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-31, 00:29

I was more expressing surprise that Activision hadn't dropped the price through the floor in desperation to try to make up for poor sales. I don't actually know how well DJ Hero has been selling, only that it got a lot of bad or at least very skeptical press. With a new * Hero game coming out practically every month, I just figured they'd probably already started selling it at a deep discount. Guess I was wrong! Maybe it actually has been popular; I haven't kept up.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-31, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I was more expressing surprise that Activision hadn't dropped the price through the floor in desperation to try to make up for poor sales. I don't actually know how well DJ Hero has been selling, only that it got a lot of bad or at least very skeptical press. With a new * Hero game coming out practically every month, I just figured they'd probably already started selling it at a deep discount. Guess I was wrong! Maybe it actually has been popular; I haven't kept up.
It's not a bad game, it's just (from my impressions) not at all a party game like Guitar Hero is. It's not as accessible, it's not really multiplayer (I mean you can add a second turntable, but no one does that) and it focuses more on making mixes than on just mimicking notes. It's not nearly as pick-up-and-play, I mean, you look at a screen of Guitar Hero and it's immediately obvious what you're supposed to do. DJ Hero, not so much. So it's not really a Hero game; it's kind of misnamed, though of course the GH brand is/was worth a gazillion dollars.

But yeah, way too many Guitar Heros (and Band Hero, WTF) came out in in 2009, and none of them did that well (I remember they were giving GH: Van Halen for free before it came out.). DJ Hero sort of...flopped, like Tony Hawk Ride did. Maybe, with our guitars and drums and microphones and controllers and remotes and nunchucks and MotionPluses and balance boards and dance mats and EyeToys, we just have too much plastic shit already.*

Activision claims to be drastically reducing the number of Hero games they make this year, to just GH5 and DJ Hero 2 or whatever. Sounds fine with me. Now if only Harmonix would drop Green Day: Rock Band

*Although you know what game I wish had come with plastic shit? Pop'n Music. We finally get a version of Pop'n in the US, except it's on the Wii, and doesn't support the Pop'n controller? You waggle the Wii remote instead of...y'know...pop'n. Instead, you watch your Mii play Pop'n. It's closer to Samba de Amigo than Pop'n which is to say it isn't Pop'n at all. WTF Konami. First Rock Revolution, and then this?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-15, 14:20

In addition to the recently announced price cuts, Amazon is now giving you $50 savings when you buy a Zune HD and a select accessory, like the HDTV dock or the "premium" car kit. The HDTV dock is one of the cooler things about the Zune, but its $79 list price was just too high. Now, though, it's essentially negative five dollars. The 16GB Zune with the dock is just $195.

The iPod touch is the better "pocket computer," but the Zune HD is the better media player, with a 16:9 OLED screen and double the storage in a more pocketable form factor with an HDTV dock for the same price. And Zune Pass is still an awesome music discovery tool, its "killer app" if you will. The only downside? No Mac support. But if you have a PC...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-04-16, 00:24

The Palm Pre+ is $.01 at amazon right now. Yeah. That's cheap.