AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Time Running Out for Europe

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Running Out for Europe
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Sir Mac o' the Isles

2005-05-21, 10:55

European Brithers and Sisters,

In but a few short hours - ie at 8pm HMT (Her Majesty's Time) the Celestial Choirs o' the 50th Eurovision Song Contest will strike up, and kingdoms, powers and principalites will rise and fall in consequence. There will be joy and celebration in some countries (the UK) and wailing and gnashing o' teeth in others (Norway - nil poit). Dinnae miss it! Nip oot tae the shops now for your popcorn and fizzy drinks - time is short!

(Apologies tae those frae non European nations wha will no' be able tae partake o' this divine feast o' aurality. I pray your guid indulgence in letting me post this and I may hope ye ge tae see the video soon)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovision/2005/

Heedrum Ho
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-05-21, 11:04

Despite being very European, this is something I'll gladly skip
hflomberg

2005-05-21, 11:13

Huh?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-05-21, 11:17

I don't like the type of music that usually comprises this event, if that answers your rather elaborate question.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-21, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hflomberg
Huh?
the only good response to Eurovision
JLL

2005-05-21, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles
European Brithers and Sisters,

In but a few short hours - ie at 8pm HMT (Her Majesty's Time) the Celestial Choirs o' the 50th Eurovision Song Contest will strike up, and kingdoms, powers and principalites will rise and fall in consequence. There will be joy and celebration in some countries (the UK) and wailing and gnashing o' teeth in others (Norway - nil poit).
WigWam are cool

At least they are having fun.
Sir Mac o' the Isles

2005-05-21, 12:13

JLL!

Wig Wam may be guid, but it's a tradition that Norway gets nul poit. Here's how it goes when the final scores are announced...

UK - Les 144 poits
Everybody Else - Les in-between-poits
Norveige - nul poit.

(Powerdoc! Excuse me for lapsing intae French - it's jist mair in keeping wi' the great traditions o' Eurovision)

Heedrum Ho
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-21, 12:23

will europe survive? tune in next time...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-21, 12:28

For all non-Europeans, here is a short article about the Song Contest (from a UK perspective, no less). And no, I'm not going to watch either ...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-21, 16:00

Strauss anyone? Listening to his masterpiece right now. Go Germany. Of course, now the German music scene is probably filled with black-shirt-wearing Ugofs who say things like "now ees the time on Shprockets when we dahnce!"

...into the light of a dark black night.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-21, 16:03

Moogs, I hope you were joking. Strauß was Austrian, not German ...
JLL

2005-05-22, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles
JLL!

Wig Wam may be guid, but it's a tradition that Norway gets nul poit. Here's how it goes when the final scores are announced...

UK - Les 144 poits
Everybody Else - Les in-between-poits
Norveige - nul poit.

(Powerdoc! Excuse me for lapsing intae French - it's jist mair in keeping wi' the great traditions o' Eurovision)
At what place did UK end on now?

Sir Mac o' the Isles

2005-05-22, 10:36

Alas! A black, black day for civilisation! Tae think that the country that invented music should be so shamefully treated. The end o' the world is nigh. All the certainties o' the universe are shaken and the very constellations o' the heavens thrust frae their celestial paths. Conspiracy! Skullduggery! Legerdemain! Mass Hypnotism! Norway 125 pts!

Still - it's damn guid entertainment is it no'? Whit aboot the auld Moldovan granny wi' the drum!

Roll on Athens 2006 when Her Majesty's Mighty Britannic Empire o' Musical Excellence will juggernaut the competition and reassume the world throne.

Heedrum Ho
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-22, 11:14

Well it can't be so bad - after all, you beat the Germans!
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-05-22, 11:18

AND the French...

well look at that...
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-05-22, 11:19

Wait, why do I care?

We in America know we can outperform you european chaps... so we don't even enter such silly competitions...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-22, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Moogs, I hope you were joking. Strauß was Austrian, not German ...
One the one hand I could argue and say that for all intents and purposes, they are historically part of the same geo-political entity (Germany and Austria). However I must admit that I have been Pwned™ for ascribing the wrong nationality to Strauss in my post.

You may now throw the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch in my general direction.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-22, 11:30

I think it's a crying shame that no-one got "Nil Poit". It goes against all Eurovision Tradition.

I loved the drumming granny, particularly when juxtaposed with the sub-Red Hot Chilli Peppers band.

Norway deserved to win.

PS: America doesn't enter because it's not allowed to.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-22, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
One the one hand I could argue and say that for all intents and purposes, they are historically part of the same geo-political entity (Germany and Austria).
Heh, nice try! But it's not entirely true - especially in Strauß' time. Austria was an empire then, and a rather major one, too. And Vienna had (and still has) a very distinct identity and culture from any part of Germany. Things have changed a bit in the meantime, of course. But that doesn't mean I can let you mis-label one of our few heros ...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-22, 11:52

I'll take Strauss over Arnold any day, that's for sure. Also there is also Herman Maier. But I have a question for you: being a lover of German food (except cabbage / kraut), where does most of it originate from... Austria, or Germany?

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-22, 12:02

Is there a translation discrepancy I'm missing that explains why a song competition is called Eurovision?

Did it start as a radio-only contest prior to the MTV era and the new name get picked by committee?

Solo artists only, right? No Robert Palmer backing babes, despite the fact it seems a 'Video' contest?

Does the Euro version have as much shagging of judges by contestants for career boost/PR?

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-05-22 at 12:09.
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-05-22, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
I think it's a crying shame that no-one got "Nil Poit". It goes against all Eurovision Tradition.

I loved the drumming granny, particularly when juxtaposed with the sub-Red Hot Chilli Peppers band.

Norway deserved to win.

PS: America doesn't enter because it's not allowed to.
when has that ever stopped the us from doing anything it wants?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-22, 12:14

Regarding Moogs' post above:

There's also Mozart, Freud, Wittgenstein, etc.

Regarding food: Austrian food is much more influenced by eastern/southern Europe: Hungarian, Rumanian, Italian, etc. But it's not like German food is very much influenced by Austria, or vice versa. There are quite a few common things, but I don't know which way the influence went (or if anybody really knows). Interestingly enough, though, many of the differences in language between Germany and Austria are words for foods (names of vegetables, etc.).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-22, 12:21

Interesting. Not to completely derail the Good Sir Mac's thread (at least my schizo brain is staying on point with the European part!)... but, is there a big difference between say Austrian and Slovakian and Czech food the way there is a big difference between French and Spanish or Spanish and Italian?

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-22, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Is there a translation discrepancy I'm missing that explains why a song competition is called Eurovision?
EuroVision is not the name of the competition ("EuroVision Song Contest"), but it's a name the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) uses/used for TV shows that were transmitted to several countries. They don't use that anymore afaik (don't watch much TV), because most shows can be seen all over Europe, anyway (thanks to those new-fangled satellite things).

Quote:
Solo artists only, right? No Robert Palmer backing babes, despite the fact it seems a 'Video' contest?
Nope, and it's not a video contest. You might want to look at some pictures if you don't believe me. There used to be lots of restrictions (only sing in national language, no playback) up until a few years ago; most of those have been lifted in the meantime, except for the live singing.

Quote:
Does the Euro version have as much shagging of judges by contestants for career boost/PR?
I'll leave that to your imagination
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-22, 12:34

Quote:
is there a big difference between say Austrian and Slovakian and Czech food the way there is a big difference between French and Spanish or Spanish and Italian?
There certainly are differences, though I'm not exactly an expert in comparative cuisine study Czech/Slovak/Hungarian food is usually quite a bit spicier, and also uses other vegetables and meats. So for example in Hungary, they like using paprika (the spice) as well as peppers and also more minced meat (which they stuff into peppers - mmmh) than in Austria. Generally, Austrian food is closer to eastern European food than Italian, for example.

Oh, and I too hope that Sir Mac doesn't mind - we could of course also add Her Majesty's favority meal to the discussion
Sir Mac o' the Isles

2005-05-22, 13:00

ghoti - you are very welcome. By the way - the food o' kings, emperors, galactic rulers, demiurges and Her Current Majesty - is Fish & Chips (in newspaper wi' lashings o' vinegar).

Mr Curiousuburb and Mr Billybobski- The Eurovision Song Constest - for a' its apparent glamour and uninhibited grooviness - is in fact a titanic collision o' opposing cultures, red in tooth and claw, and as such is no' withoot its gravitas. Kingdoms may rise; empires may fall, but Eurovision goes on. Frae the moment the contest begins wi' the stirring bars o' Beethoven's Ode Tae Joy (he forfeited the copyright after losing to Lulu's Boom-Bang-a-Bang in 1968) nations are galvanised for musical war. Crash, Bang, Wallop, Dinge Dong. Le France trois poit!

Heedrum Ho
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-22, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Heh, nice try! But it's not entirely true - especially in Strauß' time. Austria was an empire then
and until quite recently....... it's been an odd 20th century....
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-22, 14:53

Quote:
Interesting. Not to completely derail the Good Sir Mac's thread (at least my schizo brain is staying on point with the European part!)... but, is there a big difference between say Austrian and Slovakian and Czech food the way there is a big difference between French and Spanish or Spanish and Italian?
We invite you over - a lightning trip - Berlin, Vienna, Bratislava, Prag, Budapest... - to enjoy the beer and the food (the pork and dumplings are quite exquisite I assure you with a Czech Ufleku black beer http://www.ufleku.cz/ )
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-22, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
when has that ever stopped the us from doing anything it wants?
Good point, well made.

I think it's about time that they reinstated the rule where everyone has to sing in their native language, instead of stealing ours all the bloody time. I'll give the French that - at least they sing in Francais!