User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Advise me on printers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advise me on printers
Anthem

2007-08-12, 21:05

So I'm finally giving up on my dream of a midrange headless. Heck, forget midrange. All I want is a Superdrive. Apple's currently insisting that I spend $800, which is crazy. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I might as well buy the iMac (which is, of course, exactly what Apple wants). So I'm finally giving in and buying the machine I don't really want in order to get the stuff I need. But I digress.

Apple's offering a $100 printer rebate, which eases the pain a bit. Except I can't seem to find a decent printer. I don't want a photo printer; I handle that somewhere else. All I need is a reliable black-and-white laser printer. The Brother HL-2070N that Apple sells on their website is pretty much perfect for me. It's reliable, close to the price of the rebate, and can work over a network. But Apple won't let me buy that printer (or anything that's not a photo printer or AIO) with the rebate.

So what's my best option? Can I buy a random printer for $100 and trade it in for the one I want? Any ideas?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-12, 21:11

Buy a random printer, sell it on craigslist and buy the one you want. I've got that Brother printer and I love it. No set up. I just plugged into my router, selected "bonjour printer" from my print dialog box and it was set up.
Anthem

2007-08-13, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Buy a random printer, sell it on craigslist and buy the one you want. I've got that Brother printer and I love it. No set up. I just plugged into my router, selected "bonjour printer" from my print dialog box and it was set up.
Would love to avoid stuff like Craigslist. Can I return the printer to my local Apple store?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-08-13, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Would love to avoid stuff like Craigslist. Can I return the printer to my local Apple store?
Not if you want the rebate.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-08-13, 12:54

Buy a printer from their list and then sell it and get a HP Color Laser 2600n. I have one of these and highly recommend it. When I set up my MBP this last weekend, the whole operation took almost no time and worked flawlessly.

You can get the 2600n for $300 these days. If you figure the cost of toner and such, it's cheaper than an ink jet.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-13, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Seconded. I have a bunch of these. Love em.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-13, 13:07

I had no idea laser printers were so cheap! I mean, I knew they were only a couple of hundred dollars now, but $139?

I'm getting the cheap free Pixma 4200-something with my Mac, but I'm planning on picking up an inexpensive laser printer when I get ready to send my novel off to prospective agents. Which will probably be never.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong