User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Solaris to be opensourced... use in future OSX?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Solaris to be opensourced... use in future OSX?
ZO

2004-06-02, 09:06

Getting used to the new topics layout, so, don't whip me too hard if this isnt the right place for this... but looks good for "Speculation".

Now then... on topic.

Sun Solaris to be opensourced in parts, (probably not GPL...) but could raise some interesting possibilities. http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/applic...9181540,00.htm

I'm not sure how software (and OS) development works, but OSX is a mix and match of technologies, so, maybe parts of Solaris could be added to the next (OS XI?) release?

Having said this... WHAT is interesting about Solaris that OSX doesnt have? I've never seen nor touched Solaris, but I from what I hear and see, its a very reliable Server and Database OS.

Ideas? Feedback?

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-02, 09:54

very interesting. i don't imagine that macosx will become mostly or largely solaris based, b/c, and this is a guess as i've not seen its source, its probably very different from freebsd (which is the base of the current osx). i imagine that apple developers will investigate it though, and maybe pick off some of the juicy parts. whats juicy about solaris compared to other *nixen, i don't know though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-06-02, 16:11

http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

Solaris is BSD-derived, so it's not all that FreeBSD-incompatible.