Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Pro - Rev A Issues Lottery!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro - Rev A Issues Lottery!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
tobes

2006-02-01, 04:01

OK, so I ordered a fully loaded MacBook Pro with fries on the day they were announced. That much power and beauty in a single box seemed too good to turn down. Then I sat down and reminisced about my Rev A Tibook, with its static shocks and scratched up display; and my Rev A Albook, that developed white spots on the display; and I thought about the scale of change from PowerPC to Intel.

And then I cancelled my order.

So, to justify this move, let's run a sweepstake here: what's going to be the Rev A issue(s) with the MacBook Pro? Will Apple be issuing extended repair programmes for these machines?

Here's our starter for 10: I reckon these will be unusable as 'laptops' since they'll a) run out of battery power in an hour and b) brand a MacBook-shaped burn into the lap of any user foolish enough to rest them on their knees.

Any thoughts?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-02-01, 04:12

I don't see that happening. A) These processors are pretty efficient energy-wise. I'd expect greater battery life if the batteries were the same. Either way, Apple shoots or 4-6 hours and would redesign the laptop accordingly. B) Efficiency = less heat. I imagine these laptops are similar to that of older models or cooler.

You have to think of the MacBook as a completely new machine. You can't slap in a intel processor and make it work. There are major redesigns and considerations when changing a sophisticated piece of machinery. So far, there are no major problems with the MacBook (that I heard of anyways). Try not to jump the gun.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-02-01 at 20:14.
Neuron Basher

2006-02-01, 07:52

I agree with Ebby. In addition, you have to keep in mind that Apple didn't go it alone on the design, they used the Intel reference platform tweaked to their needs. I don't expect Intel wanted to ship a laptop that only has a 1 hour battery life any more than Apple would. I do have some minor concerns about heat since the aluminum case will conduct heat much more than the plastic cases most PC laptops come in, but that's what lapdesks are for.

Incidentally, tobes, thanks for cancelling your order and moving me up the list.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-02-01, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron Basher
they used the Intel reference platform tweaked to their needs.
While Intel and Apple will cooperate on the PowerMac/Mac Pro, this is the first time I hear that Apple used an Intel "reference platform" for the MacBook Pro. They use several of Intel's components, probably enough to call it a "Centrino Duo", though.
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-02-01, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuron Basher
Incidentally, tobes, thanks for cancelling your order and moving me up the list.
Yes, same with me... Thanks tobes...
maverick808

2006-02-01, 08:46

I ordered a MacBook on the day of the keynote. I was worried about the same things and, as I posted on MacRumors' forums, I called Apple and questioned them. Here's what Apple told me...

* The battery life is substantially longer than the current PowerBooks. They estimate 6 hours.
* The MacBook does get hot but not as hot as a 15" PowerBook. It runs cooler than the PowerBooks and the case will not get as hot.

Since both of these are better than the 15" PowerBook I've had for the last couple of years (now sold) I am very happy.
TMT

2006-02-01, 10:41

The Applestore also claims 5.5 hours for the current G4 powerbook.

Maybe if you order an additional battery? i'll go back to read the fine print...
maverick808

2006-02-01, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
The Applestore also claims 5.5 hours for the current G4 powerbook.

Maybe if you order an additional battery? i'll go back to read the fine print...
Well I know they won't last as long as Apple claim but the main point is that we can expect them to last slightly longer than the current PowerBooks. Certainly, they won't run for just an hour like the OP said.
TMT

2006-02-01, 11:29

I was just joking.
but that has been discussed a lot, without a real result.
The new processors will use less, the brighter LCD will use more power, will apple use the same batterys...
maverick808

2006-02-01, 11:36

I know you were joking.

Yes the CPU will use less power, yes the brigher screen will use more. No, Apple will not use the same batteries.

The PowerBooks use LION (Lithium Ion) batteries whilst the MacBook Pros have LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries. LiPo batteries behave quite differently from LION ones and generally hold more charge. I've never seen a LiPo battery in a laptop yet so it'll be interesting to see how it performs.

As a side note any battery problems could be more severe. I know that LiPo batteries have far more violent explosions than LION ones do.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-01, 11:42

I'm going to go with trackpad issues.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-01, 12:03

Cracked cases because the processor goes all hulk on your ass.
TMT

2006-02-01, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808
...whilst the MacBook Pros have LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries. LiPo batteries behave quite differently from LION ones and generally hold more charge.
Nice!

Quote:
I know that LiPo batteries have far more violent explosions than LION ones do.
Not so nice.
Probably I shouldn't buy one, I was already one of the lucky powerbook-with-exploding-battery-buyers.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-02-01, 12:13

I choose screen issues.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-02-01, 12:23

Screens & trackpad issues have already come and gone. I'm going with a wonky ExpressCard/34 slot.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-01, 12:43

I'm going to go with the Dark Horse: the wait time for these puppies to ship will be continually pushed back. Given the history of getting the latest and greatest 'books from Apple, this is a sure bet.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Reid

2006-02-01, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
So far, there are no major problems with the MacBook (that I heard of anyways). Try not to jump the gun.
Uh, yeah. And so far there are no actual people who have the Macbook yet (that I heard of anyways). Of course there will be a small percentage of people who have problems with any new product ramp-up. However, I've been shocked at how few complaints anybody's had about the Intel iMacs -- which are actually there already.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-01, 16:29

I say overheating. maybe graphics card problems.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-01, 16:33

i think that applenova needs to get a bookie... between "speculations and rumors" and the betting going on in this thread there is some money to be made
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-02-01, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Uh, yeah. And so far there are no actual people who have the Macbook yet (that I heard of anyways).
Some of us have more "resources" than others...
shell

2006-02-01, 19:04

iSight issues, double or nothing.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-07, 13:41

So when is this thing coming out? It seems like by the time everyone who ordered one has one the iBooks will be out.
TednDi

2006-02-07, 14:12

I think the main problem will be getting the product then the hard feelings when there is a huge redesign of the macbook.

That and how Steve Balmer goes ape shit over the gaining popularity of OS X

http://images.shirster.multiply.com/...jJbXeL4Rzk3w==

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-02-07, 14:25

Quote:
* The battery life is substantially longer than the current PowerBooks. They estimate 6 hours.
At MWSF I pulled the plug on several MacBook Pro's and let them run off battery for several minutes to get an accurate reading. Not one of them showed over 2:30 hours of battery life remaining.

Sure, they were "pre-production" but that was while the machine was basically idling. As soon as I started doing anything processor intensive the estimate dropped to 2 hours.
maverick808

2006-02-07, 14:30

That's what Apple told me... I'm not claiming it's gospel.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2006-02-07, 14:44

Quote:
That's what Apple told me... I'm not claiming it's gospel.
I think if it were true it'd be on the marketing pages of their website. Apple doesn't choose not to publish something for no reason.
maverick808

2006-02-07, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
I think if it were true it'd be on the marketing pages of their website. Apple doesn't choose not to publish something for no reason.
It's been a while... perhaps someone could phone up Apple and inquire about battery life again. They might know a little more now. Battery life must be known by someone at Apple by now if the MacBooks are shipping this week or next.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-02-07, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
At MWSF I pulled the plug on several MacBook Pro's and let them run off battery for several minutes to get an accurate reading. Not one of them showed over 2:30 hours of battery life remaining.
I didn't think to do that. Cool idea.

Still, to make the computers look good, Apple could turn the processor performance to highest and turn the display up 100%. That would impact the battery time.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-02-07, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell
iSight issues, double or nothing.
I'll second that. It looks like it might be a bitch to get to for an engineer, too.
Neuron Basher

2006-02-07, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh
I'll second that. It looks like it might be a bitch to get to for an engineer, too.
Actually, to me, it looks like you could probably just pop the bezel off and get right to it.