AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

World Cup 2010

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
World Cup 2010
Page 2 of 17 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-05-31, 09:42

Spain looks good for the whole thing. It would be phenomenal if one African team made it to the semis. You never know with football. If somehow they made it to the finals or won, OMG, but that's probably in the realm of TV-Movie fantasy.

Teams like Italy and Argentina have a way of winning when they're at their least deserving, and conversely, losing when they're at their best. Italy for example, in '90 and '94, and arguably 2006).

I think the USA will loose early and often, and it's a bit sad for someone who hopes Toronto FC survives, and is great fun for semi-pro soccer. (Canada ain't going nowhere in the soccer world, I can't remember the last time we even qualified.) Not because I don't believe that they've not earned their spot, nor is there any reason for specific animosity towards US "Soccer", but as much as fans on this continent hope for some growth, we don't have anything to offer the game internationally. In fact, if the sport ever grew significantly on these shores, given our pro sports models/marketting, it could probably only hurt the sport globally.

I support the anyone but the English movement!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-05-31, 12:42

That would be pretty sweet to have a surprise final like Denmark - (African Team). Is Ivory Coast any good? I know Drogbah is a beast but teams built around 1 or 2 guys never win. He's sort of a 1B talent too isn't he, compared to guys like Divaldo or the top Brasilian players?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-31, 13:51

Drogba's amazing. Yeah, he's no Messi, or Ronaldo, or Rooney, but then again... er... neither's anyone else.

Hmm. Ivory Coast are really good. Well, they've got some of the best footballers in the world, actually: Drogba, Kalou, Eboué, Touré, Traoré...

Damn. They're worth a bet, come to think of it.

gibberish
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-05-31, 14:06

Any interest in a World Cup "Pool of Pain"?

It would be a 'pool' based on Moogs' established rules for our playoff hockey pool. Each participant submits a ranked list of all 32 teams, assigning the number 32 to the team he/she thinks will win the World Cup, 31 to the team he/she thinks will come in second and so on until you assign the number 1 to the team you think least likely to advance even one round. For each round and for each team that advances, you give to the participant the number of points assigned to that team. I.e., if you give Brazil top ranking, you get 32 points for each round they advance, including 32 points for a win in the final; if you give England 6th ranking, you get 28 points for every round they win. There is also a very easy tie-break system (which I will not describe for now).

The system is easy to participate in and to manage, since it is based on simple ranked lists and can be very quickly and automatically scored on a spreadsheet (which I can adapt from an existing one I have). Also, since the system relentlessly assigns points based on overall rankings, it accurately rewards your overall predictions.

It would not be a real pool, since no money would be involved, just the pride of being the best. If people want it, I could do it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-31, 14:25

Woah. Just checked... Côte d'Ivoire are in the same group as Portugal and Brazil!

Ouch. That's going to be a delicious bloodbath. Hmm. I'd fancy Portugal over Ivory Coast any day... but in the first World Cup in Africa..? Ivory Coast's best players are all in top European sides...

gibberish
Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-05-31, 15:09

But then again if they make it out of that group, it could end up being a run that goes further than anyone suspects...
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-05-31, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post
Woah. Just checked... Côte d'Ivoire are in the same group as Portugal and Brazil!

Ouch. That's going to be a delicious bloodbath. Hmm. I'd fancy Portugal over Ivory Coast any day... but in the first World Cup in Africa..? Ivory Coast's best players are all in top European sides...
Yeah, I'm beyond excited for this group. Ivory Coast is my favorite team outside of the US. Hopefully there's gonna be some great games come out of here.

Here's to Drogba fucking some shit up! *proudly waves Drogba jersey!*

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-05-31, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
But then again if they make it out of that group, it could end up being a run that goes further than anyone suspects...
Totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Here's to Drogba fucking some shit up! *proudly waves Drogba jersey!*
Drogba... I... don't dig Drogba.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-05-31, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Any interest in a World Cup "Pool of Pain"?
I just came to ask the same question. Yahoo Fantasy is doing a NCAA Bracket Pick style set up if anyone is interested. You pick the winner and guess the match score. Anyone want to play?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-05-31, 23:45

I'll play.
AWR
Veteran Member

2010-06-01, 01:39

That would be cool, Chinney. Count me in. Thanks.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-06-01, 02:09

Might be cool. Got to do better than my Hosket picks.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-06-01, 08:00

Oh, OK, I'm in.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-01, 15:34

I'm thinking of a small change to the rules. 32 teams is a lot of teams to rank. I don't imagine it will be a whole lot of fun agonizing who to rank 26th vs. 27th. It would work just as well if each of us each just ranked our top 16. We would still get points the same way for each round, but if a team that we did not rank at all in our top 16 advances to the round of 16, or beyond, you would not get points for each round for that team. Similarly, if a team one of us did rank in the top 16 does not advance the person get no points for that round.

Otherwise, the rules are analogous - for each round your top ranked team advances, you get 16 points; for each round your second ranked team advances, you get 15 points. Etc. It puts a premium on correctly picking the top 16 and then how they advance from there, without having to rank all 32.

I am going to supply a complete country list soon. You can use those to do your rankings. I have just one small request: that you use the EXACT country names that are in my list, as my spreadsheet recognizes the exact word strings. It allows me to drag and drop your ranked list into the spreadsheet for automatic scoring. So it would be useful to me if you could just extract your 16 country names from the list, rank them, and then post them here.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-01, 15:51

I've also included the Groups, to help you with your choices of the top 16. Remember, use the exact country names below. Pick your top 16. Then order your list of 16 from top to bottom, with the team you think has the best chance to do the best at the top and the team that has the worst chance at the bottom, and the rest of the teams ordered in between according to your view of their relative chances:

Group A

South Africa
Mexico
Uruguay
France

Group B

Argentina
South Korea
Nigeria
Greece

Group C

England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D

Germany
Australia
Ghana
Serbia

Group E

Netherlands
Japan
Cameroon
Denmark

Group F

Italy
New Zealand
Paraguay
Slovakia

Group G

Brazil
North Korea
Côte d'Ivoire
Portugal

Group H

Spain
Honduras
Chile
Switzerland

Last edited by Chinney : 2010-06-01 at 18:50.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-01, 18:45

I'm in.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2010-06-01, 19:17

I'm down with the pool either Rink of Pain playoff style or Yahoo brackets.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-06-04, 04:59

NYT Magazine has a (Flash) Page detailing the Official World Cup Balls used since 1930... when the Final had a 'home team' ball for each half.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-04, 08:53

Fucking Drogba broke his arm in their last friendly versus Japan and might miss the World Cup. He was my favorite player and I was literally about to buy a jersey of his from Ivory Coast of him. Very dishearting for an upstart Ivory Coast team.

@yontsey
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-04, 10:01

When and where are our rankings due? I'm waiting until the final exhibition games are over...

Dang it! I just read the Rio Ferdinand is injured, too...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-06-04, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Fucking Drogba broke his arm in their last friendly versus Japan and might miss the World Cup. He was my favorite player and I was literally about to buy a jersey of his from Ivory Coast of him. Very dishearting for an upstart Ivory Coast team.
I want Drogba to play, and he can be a huge pussy diving and rolling as many footballers today are... but if a fractured elbow puts him out of an African-hosted cup, it will be bad news for the tournament too.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-06-04, 10:42

Drogba needs to man up and play. He'll never get a chance to play in a World Cup on African soil again.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-04, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
I want Drogba to play, and he can be a huge pussy diving and rolling as many footballers today are... but if a fractured elbow puts him out of an African-hosted cup, it will be bad news for the tournament too.
Agreed on him people a pussy at times but this is a legit injury and he also declined to use a stretcher when he was hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Drogba needs to man up and play. He'll never get a chance to play in a World Cup on African soil again.
I would love to see him play but a fractured elbow/arm is a pretty serious injury especially when you're running all the time. I do hope I get to see him play though.

@yontsey
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-04, 11:42

I keep reading his name as Dagoba...

I'm a nerd.

Are we doing the fantasy thing, be it yahoo or pad and paper?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-04, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I keep reading his name as Dagoba...

I'm a nerd.

Are we doing the fantasy thing, be it yahoo or pad and paper?
Yeah I wanna get this going. Yahoo would be nice. I don't know how they set it up, but something like a March Madness bracket would be nice. Pick the ones you think are coming out of the group then fill out your bracket.

@yontsey
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2010-06-04, 12:19

Yahoo has a few different options. You can start now and pick the winner of each match in Group Play and, if it's set that way, predict the score as well. Then, when it moves to Knockout Play it'll be bracket style. Or, you can ignore the group play and just sign up for Knockout Play.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-04, 12:54

Well shit, Drogba is out of the World Cup. So disheartening. He was one of the big reasons that I was tuning in this year, not that I still won't tune in and love every minute of it.

@yontsey
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-06-04, 13:04

I thought we were going to do what Chinney said...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-06-04, 14:28

We are doing it here!* Instructions in This Page of the Thread. See Earlier Posts Above. (See especially my post at 2010-06-01, 16:34.)

Figure out your ranked list of your predictions for the top 16 and submit it here. Takes maybe 10 minutes or less to do, but you can ponder longer if you want. We all have a week to submit it - up to 15 min before the first match. I will be submitting mine by Sunday night, or sooner. If you reconsider your list after first submitting it, submit another in a new post. I will only use the most recent list submitted in a post up to 15 minutes before the first match.

P.S. I've set up the spreadsheet and it is ready to go. I just drag and drop your ranked list of your choice of the top 16 teams into the spreadsheet and all the calculations will be made automatically round-by-round. No pen and paper involved. I will post them here at the end of each round. All I ask is that you use the exact country names that I posted earlier above.

*Anyone wanting to also participate in Yahoo, that's fine too. I am just setting up this up as a quick and dirty AN type of thing for the purpose of having some fun in this thread. If you also want to get involved in one of the more involved online things, that's great. I'm actually also going to be doing one of the more involved ones through a group of us at work.

Last edited by Chinney : 2010-06-04 at 14:43.
ronmexico

2010-06-05, 09:07

I am bummed about Drogba. He is perhaps the biggest African star, and for him to not play in this tournament on his continent hurts. I had the Ivory Coast as an upset team in the group of death, but to lose him will make it nearly impossible.

I'd like to join the bracket as well. Ill work on my list Sun.