User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 34 of 49 First Previous 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-24, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
For giggles I decided to sniff my traffic to see how open the username and passwords were for this game, I hope you don't use the same username and password for Minecraft anywhere else.

Code:
Line-based text data: application/x-www-form-urlencoded username=turtle2472&password=xxxxxxxx
No the x's aren't my password but our credentials are sent in the clear. If I hadn't changed it you'd see the real thing.
This has been relatively public knowledge for a while, and HTTPS communication is supposedly high on notch's todo list.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2011-02-24, 16:18

I am rejected.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-24, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This has been relatively public knowledge for a while, and HTTPS communication is supposedly high on notch's todo list.
Cool. I hadn't seen anything about it before this nor it mentioned here so I figured it'd be worth mentioning.

Edit: Still no connection for me or Mrs T. I was hoping to get some in before class tonight...but maybe it'll be up when I get a chance to get back on.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-02-24 at 17:51.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-24, 18:17

I don't like being rejectified...

I don't like it much.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-02-24 at 19:21.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-24, 18:48

Server, I refudiate you...

¡Damned!

2011-02-24, 19:49

So what's happened here? Did the partition (?) die? I know there were some concerns that the jump wasn't all that and a sixth of a slice of cake, so.... ? :/

So it goes.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-24, 19:57

I'll check on the server later tonight. Posting from iPhone. Been a really long day at work.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-24, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'll check on the server later tonight. Posting from iPhone. Been a really long day at work.
Wait, you mean you have a life outside of AN and Minecraft? How did that happen?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-24, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Wait, you mean you have a life outside of AN and Minecraft? How did that happen?
Of course not!

When I'm at work, I'm checking in on AppleNova.

When I'm at home, I'm checking in on AppleNova and Minecraft.

There's no time between them!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-24, 22:34

Hopefully it'll be back up soon. SSP in the meantime to play with seeds.

EDIT 2: Apparently, my username as a seed name makes for a very icy world. Guess the game knows me!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Last edited by RowdyScot : 2011-02-24 at 23:51. Reason: >_<

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-24, 23:09

You know, we don't often recognize the hard work that Brad does for this site and the minecraft server without taking a dime.

So I would like to take this opportunity to thank him. Thanks, Brad, you make all of our lives a little better each day with this place and its minecraft community...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
You know, we don't often recognize the hard work that Brad does for this site and the minecraft server without taking a dime.

So I would like to take this opportunity to thank him. Thanks, Brad, you make all of our lives a little better each day with this place and its minecraft community...
Now I feel like an ass. >_< Sorry Brad, my previous post probably comes across completely the wrong way, and certainly wasn't intended to. I'm gonna go edit that.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-24, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post

Agreed! I love our minecraft server and I really appreciate all the hard work you put into it, Brad.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 23:44

Thanks, Brad. In honesty, having AN around likely saved my life this past year. Having the Minecraft server around has helped me to start rebuilding it. Your work is appreciated more than you could possibly know.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-24, 23:54

Server should be up now. I've had to shut off the automatic restarts, because the hack I have in place to keep SimpleServer falls apart when the server restarts. I may just manually restart the server once a day or so, now, until an official update is released for SimpleServer.

Also, the world is now back on disk instead of RAM. Let's see how this goes, if performance keeps up or tanks. If it works well, we won't have to worry as much about growing the world.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-24, 23:57

Thanks, Brad.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-24, 23:59

Indeed: many, many thanks to das Bradster.

Has anyone tried spawning a new world with the seed Applenova?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-25, 00:01

Not yet. I'll try it quick. Actually, I'll try it as AppleNova (yes, the N matters, both for AN and for the seed name).

Edit: On first glance....big mountains, long beaches, and flowers. Islands, too. And big seas.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-25, 04:19

Oof. After a ton of digging, The boss chamber is finished. Still digging into the statue room yet, but getting there.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-25, 04:49

Given that I've got a very convenient tunnel to the communal trap from the Starlight Woods (the forest next to Mob Hill), I decided to pay it a visit. Turns out that it is stupidly productive when you're the only one on the server, since it doesn't have to spawn mobs anywhere else on the map - there was almost a constant stream of drops coming down from the landing zone.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-25, 11:28

Sleeping through the night rocks!

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-26, 02:33

Yeah, it would seem that putting the world back on rotary storage has caused a lot of the old headaches to return - hiccups in the passage of time, broken blocks reappearing, and such.

Might it be time to move the AN Minecraft server to a separate server/service elsewhere? That free Amazon EC2 options looks mighty tempting, and even some of the paid options aren't too terribly bad.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-26, 09:01

The broken blocks reappearing thing is simply a latency issue caused by poor coding on Notch's part. Been well-documented as such for months. Moving off of the RAM disk may very well have caused the latency issue, I suppose, but to my knowledge, it had started happening again before Brad moved us off of the RAM disk. I got booted 5 times for that issue before Brad moved us.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-26, 10:04

I'd been noticing some major lag issues since 1.3 as well. Blocks reappearing being the most common, and that was before we came off the ramdisk. Also got booted a few times, but that was on the first day.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-26, 11:03

Blocks reappearing is not related to the question harddrive vs RAMdisk storage location. It was happening to a disturbing degree before we moved back to the spinning disk.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-26, 11:29

Can't connect to Minecraft.net. This started early this morning and I haven't been able to get on since.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-02-26, 13:01

Yeah, just got in but once in realized I was in the middle of a field when I got booted last. What's worse is that it was night when I logged in!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-02-26, 17:11

Time for a Minecraft vacation (due to actually going on vacation).

Try to not destroy the world while I'm gone will you guys.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-26, 20:59

Ah...well, then I withdraw my criticism. I had just assumed that, since those had been issues in the past that were (IIRC) blamed on disk performance, that the recurrence was due to the same problem. I hadn't heard that they were regressions in the new beta until y'all mentioned it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-27, 03:01

FWIW, I actually moved us to disk-based storage at the same time as when we upgraded to 1.3. I was secretly hoping that the server would be able to manage like that, but I guess it can't. Apparently I made a mistake in one of the configs earlier this week and only *today* (err, technically *yesterday*) did I actually move the world back to the RAM disk. Sorry about the delay!

That said, big news! Sunday night (tonight) we'll be firing up (pun VERY intended) AppleNova's first official BURNING MAN 2011. Location? Parapa Desert. Time? Midnight ET. Be there or be chu jelly!