User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 35 of 49 First Previous 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39  Next Last Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-27, 12:05

When did you move back, Brad?

Because the block re-appearing issue was still present late last night...

and is still present now...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-02-27 at 13:22.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-27, 13:40

Around midnight last night was when I restarted the server with the proper config.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-27, 15:18

So it is still clear, then, that the block-o-reappearing is a update bug and unrelated to your machinations...

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-27, 20:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2rDb...t=QL& index=1

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-27, 21:18

OK, I'm not usually a fan of YouTube music videos, but that was pretty epic.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-28, 00:53

"I shoot my arrows in the air sometimes, screamin' Eh Oh, Creeper K.O.!"

Totally gonna be stuck in my head for the foreseeable future.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-28, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I pulled a backup of the world directory a short while ago, but it's time for me to hit the bed. I'll process the world and post an updated overhead view tomorrow evening.
Scratch that. I forgot that since the world format has changed, nearly all of the editing and viewing tools are broken. Maybe in another week's time.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-03, 14:03

Chickens: Particle or Wave?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-03, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I can't like this enough!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-05, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by @notch
So typical.. The servers are ok for days, then as soon as we're getting ready to go to the airport.. BOOM. Up now, though =)
Ummm...maybe it's time you didn't all go away at the same time? Even corner shops leave someone to "hold the fort"* when they go places.

* = Note: "Hold" not "Hold down". Don't make me explain why you're wrong.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-03-05, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Actually... please do. I'd be happy to hear your rant against a historically inaccurate but commonly used phrase. If for no other reason than then I could rant about it myself.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

zsummers
Avast!

2011-03-05, 15:51

Quote:
Agreed. I'd especially like to hear why I'm wrong about my helium balloon fort. SOMEONE better hold that down.

Addendum: I totally lurk in this thread all the time and live vicariously through all of your vicarious minecraft lives, even though I've never played minecraft. I even look up terms I don't understand and watch all the videos and look at all the pictures and stuff.

So, when you are feeling bad about living your life one step removed from the "real" world, just remember there's someone else living two steps removed, and that his vicarious (x2) existence derives entirely from yours, filtered through the medium of an internet message board....

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-03-05, 16:01

...Dude, just buy the game, zsummers.

Trust me, it's much more fun actually being in on the action.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-05, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Actually... please do. I'd be happy to hear your rant against a historically inaccurate but commonly used phrase. If for no other reason than then I could rant about it myself.
I'm on my iPhone, so excuse the mobile YouTube link, but Mr David Michell explains it better than I can: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=om7O0MFkmpw

mod edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-05, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
...Dude, just buy the game, zsummers.

Trust me, it's much more fun actually being in on the action.
Also, buy now while it's still Beta priced!

So glad I just got in on the Alpha - free updates forever? Yes please.

Apologies to Mr and Mrs T for bailing in a hurry just now - lost track of time and looked up from the laptop to see Mrs Bryson with her coat on, tapping her foot!

¡Damned!

2011-03-05, 16:53

Bryson, if I don't see you later tonight I put that gray wool in the chest outside the library. Maybe later we could go squid hunting to make grey dye now that I see how much you'll need.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-05, 17:15

Awesome, thanks!

I can't say I've ever seen a squid in the AN server. Maybe there's a trick to it?

arteggio

2011-03-05, 17:17

Quote:
I can't say I've ever seen a squid in the AN server.
I've seen them swimming up into the sky through chunk errors. Never actually in the water, though...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-05, 17:19

Sheer luck.

Actually, squid were far more common when they were introduced, but the next small update reduced their numbers considerably. I saw many squid on the server in that first release, and I haven't seen a single squid since (outside of chunk errors). Further, squid seem unable to climb upwards in water. So, they generally drift around in the dark bottom of bodies of water until they quietly despawn.

*shrug*

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-03-05, 20:23

I actually hunted a few last night, oddly enough - there were a good half-dozen swimming around in the water off Mob Hill. They're still around, if you actually bother to look for them.

I've got about 30 ink sacs, if anyone needs them.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-05, 22:09

Me me me! I really need the Grey wool or the ink sacs - it's a rather large roof to cover,

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-06, 12:02

Quote:
Also, buy now while it's still Beta priced!

So glad I just got in on the Alpha - free updates forever? Yes please.

Apologies to Mr and Mrs T for bailing in a hurry just now - lost track of time and looked up from the laptop to see Mrs Bryson with her coat on, tapping her foot!
No problem Bryson. I understand needing to run some times. You can stop by of I can run it to you went ever.

zsummers, just buy the game. It's worth it. Even if you only play it for a little while.

Edit: BTW, Bryson, a gift is waiting for you in the chest in the attic of the library.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2011-03-06 at 14:50.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-06, 15:56

Are the map tools fixed yet? It's been almost a month since the last map update.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-06, 16:42

Funny you mention it. I just told the guys on the server earlier this afternoon that c10t, the image generator I use, has relatively stable (but still somewhat buggy) builds now compatible with 1.3. I've been using it this afternoon on a backup I made today. Results look promising, and I'll be posting an updated image later tonight.

As for deleting chunks, the jury is still out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-06, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Addendum: I totally lurk in this thread all the time and live vicariously through all of your vicarious minecraft lives, even though I've never played minecraft. I even look up terms I don't understand and watch all the videos and look at all the pictures and stuff.

So, when you are feeling bad about living your life one step removed from the "real" world, just remember there's someone else living two steps removed, and that his vicarious (x2) existence derives entirely from yours, filtered through the medium of an internet message board....
http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp

Do eet.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-06, 17:30

Minecraft on widows sucks. Black screen/memory leak of death...

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-06, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Minecraft on widows sucks. Black screen/memory leak of death...
Also, in Windows, mapping sneak to caps lock doesn't work the way you'd expect it too. On Mac/Linux you stay sneaked until you hit it again, jump, or open your inventory, but on Windows it functions the same as any other key.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-06, 18:05

Oooooo... I didn't think to map Sneak to caps lock!

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-06, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Oooooo... I didn't think to map Sneak to caps lock!
Oh yeah. Super useful. But beware: opening your inventory while capslock'd will unsneak you. So make sure you're not on a ledge if you need to enter your inventory!

While we're on the topic, the default mapping is awful. Awful awful awful. It's not just negligent; it seems like it's been designed to fuck with you as much as possible.

Drop on Q? Right next to move forward? Yeah, I changed that the first time I threw my sword at a creeper.

Inventory on I? The most used non-movement key and it's all the way on the other side of the frakkin keyboard?? Why not just use E or Tab?

Chat on T? WTF? No, seriously, what the fuck. I've never encountered an online game, ever, that had chat mapped to anything besides return.

Toggle Fog on F? What the hell, man? Why do I even need this key? Moreover, switching to "Far" or "Normal" lags the game considerably, so hopefully you don't panic and hit F when you meant to hit D to dodge that creeper! I changed that to O where it is nice and out of the way.

Seriously, I don't know who came up with the default keymap, but it's almost like it was designed specifically to frustrate you as much as possible by putting the keys you need where you can't reach them and putting the keys you don't want where you can't miss them. Basically the only thing they got right about the defaults was mapping movement to WASD.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-03-06 at 18:42.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-07, 00:11

Oh wow. That's not my exploration South - not sure who that was, but not me. I didn't even get as far as the first winter Biome.