User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

tv/film/video downloads

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
tv/film/video downloads
jonnycherry

2006-01-10, 06:55

I really don't get all the exitement over being able to download shows and films off itunes.

The reason music has been such a sucess is becuase the quality is pretty much identical to what you can buy on the high street (music cds), sure there are music dvds but most people would be hard pushed to hear the difference.

On the other hand the video quality is nothing like dvd quality and in many cases is the same price or more expensive. With HD just around the corner why would anyone want to download a shitty resolution version of King Kong over the blueray version?

I mean the videos look good on my ipod but really pants on a big screen.

The only way video over the internet or wireless streaming over airport can take off is if it is all available in full hd quality.
MacConvert

2006-01-10, 09:38

Full HD quality would take too long to download, and take too much storage space. Forget the possibility of streaming it.

I've heard a price point of $3.99 for a movie. If that is true, I'm dropping Netflix for this. I'll get alot more out of it for the price.
chicagodan

2006-01-10, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacConvert
Full HD quality would take too long to download, and take too much storage space. Forget the possibility of streaming it.

I've heard a price point of $3.99 for a movie. If that is true, I'm dropping Netflix for this. I'll get alot more out of it for the price.
No way. With NetFlix, I can watch the movie on my computer or on a DVD player. With NetFlix, I can rent from a library of tens of thousands of films, not just the crappy Hollywood Hits list that all the movie download services provide. And with NetFlix, if I turn around the movies fast enough, I could burn through 20 movies a month.

Have you seen the awful quality of iTunes TV shows? Yeah, I really want to watch a Wong Kar-Wai film or "Apocalypse Now" in less than VHS quality.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-01-10, 10:09

I think iTunes video is much better suited for selling TV shows - as in, "Damn, there was a great concert Friday night so I missed BSG... guess I'll have to download it."
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-10, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodan
Have you seen the awful quality of iTunes TV shows? Yeah, I really want to watch a Wong Kar-Wai film or "Apocalypse Now" in less than VHS quality.
The current iTMS shows are limited to the resolution they're limited to because they are meant for the tiny screen of the iPod Video. Any future tv/video distribution offers would almost certainly offer higher quality, probably at least DVD equivalent.
jonnycherry

2006-01-10, 10:57

Those quicktime HD trailers don't take too long to download.

I just think if I'm going to spend any money I'd want a package of sorts, with the full hd version and a version playable on my ipod.